Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
You could always see if one of the Zippy compact range would fit
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
This 1800 is about the same size as a Nano-tech 2200 45-90c 3S pack I was running but 25 grams lighter.
Andy
I should have asked sooner. Now I've already ordered one of the regular 2200 4s. Have to figure something out I guess
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:23 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I'd like to see how you did the wing bolts.
no pictures I'm afraid, it's too fiddly putting it together and taking it apart again!

What I did was trace the shape of the TE of each wing onto 3mm plywood. The main part of the wing has a plastic "saddle" on it so you need to use the last 35-40mm or so that is foam on the trailing edge. Then I removed about 3mm width of foam from that spot on the wing and drilled a further 3mm hole into the plywood (at or close to it's widest point. This shape fits nicely into the wing saddle on the fuselage so you can easily push a steel bolt through the hole in the plywood and foam (to inside the fuselage).

Then, a steel captive nut inserted onto the "rear" side of the plywood and then glued (captive nut inwards) onto the wing (where the foam has been removed). Once cured, you can screw a steel bolt through the captive nut to make a channel in the foam.

Then I further cut two small plywood squares (about 1cm-2) and drilled holes in the middle of those. Then I aligned the holes in those parts with the holes in the fuselage (again using a long steel M3 bolt) and glued them into place. These prevent the wing bolt from dissappearing into the foam when tightened, and also gives a guide for inserting the bolts when mounting the wings.

When I mount the wings I can just about reach inside the fuselage to where the bolts are located. I have an attachment for a small ratchet wrench which just fits into the void behind the elevator/rudder servos. I can push an M3 plastic bolt though the holes and tighten it (just about) with my fingers before tightening shut with my wrench.

Alternatively you could use a steel bolt (I don't think it would make much difference because if the wing tears off it'll take a chunk out of the fuselage anyway where the tabs screw into the body behind the LiPo compartment). To secure this you could use a lock washer which will prevent it shaking lose under vibration, and/or add some Nut Lock.

I only used a plastic bolt to keep the weight behind the CG down - mind you, given that my tubby is nose-heavy and I have since had to add counter-weights I probably should've used steel bolts!.
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to type all that up!
I think I could figure it out now.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Thanks for taking the time to type all that up!
I think I could figure it out now.
You're welcome.
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,247 Posts
I just finished replacing the battery connector on my ESC and now I'm figuring out the battery compartment. Because of my helicopter adventures, all my battery packs have Velcro on them and I'm wondering what the best alternative would be to using the hook-&-loop type strap included for my 2200 mAh battery packs. After dealing with the strap for several minutes, trying to get the 2200 mAh battery pack in and out quickly seems like an impossible task.

Does anyone know the cure for installing & removing a Velcro-equipped 3S 2200 mAh battery quickly so it doesn't move around during flight?

I was thinking about using rubber bands . . . . . . thanks!
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:59 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
If you're going to run the same size battery all the time, I have the perfect solution.
Has worked for me since it was new a year ago.
Simply put the battery in place and strap it in slightly loose.
Now you should never have to unstrap the velcro again.
You simply slide it off the side of the battery.
Couldn't be easier.
Trust me, being that tiny bit loose is no problem.
It's still fairly snug, just not cinched up tight.

EDIT: If you're saying your batts don't slide in easy because you have velcro on them, then I guess my idea is of no help.
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jul 05, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Old Bold Pilot
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
699 Posts
Another solution is to use two velcro straps (like the one's that came with it). Attach one to the bottom of the battery box and the other to the top of the box. Both straps are pointing to the back of the plane. Slide the battery into the box between the straps and overlap the straps. A Penske pit crew could'nt do it faster.
Try it.
Dave F
>< *>
got-one is offline Find More Posts by got-one
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,211 Posts
Man, it really sucks that this plane is discontinued that means that the spare wings and fuse will get harder and harder to get
I had a hard time locating the airframe kit the last time I bought one. Thank goodness it's still in like new condition.
It will be hard to find a replacement plane like this one. What a sweet plane it has been.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone who upgraded their wildcat to the e-flight power 10 could post the power draw using stock prop, or better the F4U corsair's 3-bladed prop or similar.

Also if anyone has placed the e-flight power 25 could possible post same things?

looking to upgrade my motor for some additional fun

Thanks, GeneralMcT
GeneralMcT is offline Find More Posts by GeneralMcT
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Looking on Horizons site it could be that that version is just out of stock, not necessarily discontinued. I didn't see the word "Discontinued", just "No longer available". Perhaps they ordered so many of each and we just bought up all the PNPs since most of us have lipos and RXs laying around. As hot of a little plane as this is I would imagine that they will restock them once the BNF sell out or come close to it. If you buy the BNF version you could sell the RX and the Lipo and make money on them if you wanted.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I like your optimism in this time of sorrow and sadness.

But me thinks the pooch is screwed.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I don't. The Wildcat is one of the more popular offerings that PZ has offered. They wouldn't just discontinue a cash cow. They are still selling the Mustang and the BF-109. The Mustang is tired/played out and the BF-109 is more advanced them most beginners could handle, plus being riddled with motor issues, and yet they both are still offered from Horizon. So for them to discontinue the Wildcat does not make for good logic.

At the very worst I would imagine you wont see the PNP anymore and be forced to purchase a bare kit or a BNF.
Until a rep from Horizon chimes in and says she is done, I hold out hope.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,240 Posts
Maybe they're upgrading it to that BL15 they're putting in the Spitfire and others? Not that it needs it - she scoots just fine on the 480.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:58 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,247 Posts
Thanks IFlyRCs & got-one

The batteries with the Velcro fit into the battery slot - a little tight but no problem. Yes, I think using two of the pseudo-Velcro straps might be the better solution - both are good ideas though!

Orion Pax, I too hope you are correct about the F4F remaining as an available airplane.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Check out the discontinued section of Parkzone's website. Perhaps the cheap prices were to clear out the last of their PNP inventory. Really a terrible decision on their part discontinuing the PNP. It was a great deal on a parkzone warbird. Now the cheapest warbird you can buy from them that isn't ultra micro is the BNF version at $180. In fact the only non-um plane they're offering for less is the radian PNP at $160.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Jul 05, 2012 at 04:24 PM.