HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM66 View Post
General.....This very similiar thing happened to my wildcat on flight 16 and luckily it only busted up the cowl and the hatch, upon arriving at the crash site I noticed my rudder was cranked all the way right and was twitching in which that is what I know caused it to go down
So I replaced the broken parts along with a new rudder servo and went to the field for another flying session, once in the air and trimmed all was going good until about 3 mins into the flight and it started rocking and loosing altitude and then complete loss of all controls and down she went again and noticed the rudder was torqued again and servo completely stripped out on this one, BUT I noticed something different this time....the ar500 receiver was blinking (there is the problem!) I upgraded to an ar600, replaced servo and cowl and now have logged in over 80 flights and it flys perfect.
For what it's worth IMO, I would replace the rudder servo and install a new receiver and your problems will be gone, relax enjoy and fly!
Yup sounds exactly like mine!! Did you replace your servo with another parkzone or a different brand servo? I dont think it is my receiver, being that I replaced a while back with and ar8000 and telemetry module ... I do agree that this "accident" was a result of rudder flapping. Going out tomorrow for a new fuse to start fresh and stiffen up the rudder and replace the servo.

Thanks JM66
GeneralMcT is offline Find More Posts by GeneralMcT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
Are you using a seperate BEC? If not your ESC may be going bad and causing alot of your problems.

Terry
No I am not using a seperate BEC. Is there a way to test the esc. and verify it is ok?

... I am quite confident however that it was the result of a faulty rudder..
GeneralMcT is offline Find More Posts by GeneralMcT
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMcT View Post
No I am not using a seperate BEC. Is there a way to test the esc. and verify it is ok?

... I am quite confident however that it was the result of a faulty rudder..
The BEC in the ESC may not be giving the receiver enough power and causing minor brown outs. I have had this problem with Spektrum receivers and that is why I use a seperate BEC in every one of my 16 planes. All of which have 4 or more servos and run on 3,4, and 5 cell batteries. You especialy need a seperate BEC if running digital servos, they draw more power.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
The BEC in the ESC may not be giving the receiver enough power and causing minor brown outs. I have had this problem with Spektrum receivers and that is why I use a seperate BEC in every one of my 16 planes. All of which have 4 or more servos and run on 3,4, and 5 cell batteries. You especialy need a seperate BEC if running digital servos, they draw more power.

Terry
It bothers me that manufactures do not get on the same page with the BECs and servo draw.
One of my mentors added caps to his BECs when he went Spektrum.
I havebeen using over kill ESCs to get bigger BECs.
It would be nice to do arithmetic to be safe, but I never see specks on servo draw.
Yes an independent BEC is a fine idea! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:09 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
It bothers me that manufactures do not get on the same page with the BECs and servo draw
What about servo post splines . . . and my ultimate peeve: servo connector plugs! Why can't they all be the same?
!
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
For those still flying with DSM2 AR500, if your Tx is capable of DSMX then you'll be happy that Horizon/Spektrum just released the full range 4-channel AR400 for only $29.99.

Also, can someone please post the AMP draw of T-28 prop with the stock motor?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMcT View Post
Yup sounds exactly like mine!! Did you replace your servo with another parkzone or a different brand servo? I dont think it is my receiver, being that I replaced a while back with and ar8000 and telemetry module ... I do agree that this "accident" was a result of rudder flapping. Going out tomorrow for a new fuse to start fresh and stiffen up the rudder and replace the servo.

Thanks JM66
General... I just replaced the servo with another new pz sv80 that I already had in my parts box, all is well!
JM66 is offline Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined May 2010
415 Posts
Well i have just moved to Glendale in Ca and without a car i am stuck without a flying site so i decided to mess about with my plane. I stuck a headsuprc 480 sport in the wildcat with the t-28 prop and a 40 amp esc. Hopefully it will fly well when i finally get a car!!
LimitingFactor is online now Find More Posts by LimitingFactor
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2010
415 Posts
and oh yeah, stuck an Ar400 in there as well so i will see how that treats me.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,491 Posts
Limiting, come fly with us at the Rosebowl on Sat and Sunday. South side if there isn't an event going on. If you need a lift PM me
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2010
415 Posts
Thanks quit,
might just have to take you up on that offer. Be cool to see other people fly too. Been used to sneaking out to parks on my own in nyc at daybreak and sneaking in some flights before the parks guys arrive!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
I'll be at the Rose Bowl most likely Sat. late afternoon. And I can bring my Wildcat too.

Quitcherbitchen - I think I mentioned this last week when I saw you, but I bought a Habu from the Classifieds here. Going to maiden it tomorrow at the Rose Bowl. Trying to get my kids to go with me so I can have some extra hands to pick up the foam pieces if need be.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined May 2010
415 Posts
Best of luck with the maiden of the habu left coast.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
It takes a bit of space to get her to slow down. Just plan on a couple touch n' Go's to get the hang of it.
You'll be fine.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post
What about servo post splines . . . and my ultimate peeve: servo connector plugs! Why can't they all be the same?
!

Even competing camera makers standardized many features!
It is so much fun when arms get mixed up! C
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp