SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Next time I go fly my Wildcat, I'm going to try an underhanded toss. Anyone chuck their F4F underhanded?
It would work just as well. I toss my F-86 underhanded, but I have to toss it a little harder.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:17 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
So, back to the stock prop and an order placed for a replacement cowl (there was no hope of repairing the original one - it was too far gone).
I got tired of breaking cowls and props.
My landing gear works well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8159
After 10 landings I had 1 damaged prop. Going to use SF E-9x6 props that cost 1/6 the price of a Parkzone prop.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Next time I go fly my Wildcat, I'm going to try an underhanded toss. Anyone chuck their F4F underhanded?
I have to underhand toss everything! Old football injuries have taken most of my overhand options away. The F4F launches great underhand. I even underhand my 55" P-40 with easy. Being 6'2" has its advantages and glad I have big hands!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
I got tired of breaking cowls and props.
My landing gear works well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8159
After 10 landings I had 1 damaged prop. Going to use SF E-9x6 props that cost 1/6 the price of a Parkzone prop.
Yeah, I saw that a few days ago. I quite like the look of a couple of the retractable solutions that some people have been working on too.

Depending on how many more props/cowls I may lose, it could be worth the investment.
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Perhaps, O'Hare's radio was not working and he was reporting a mechanical mission abort. Obviously, things got a little complicated at his workstation. I think the CO is going to chew out the mechanic. Multiple "Unsats"--Voice radio, Cosmic dampener, and Vibration issues.
Could be

Given that I am the CO, pilot and mechanic I should be giving myselves a really stern talking-to!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,321 Posts
Quote:
So took my tubby out to the field and two three-bladed props and one cowl later I returned home down-hearted.

I fitted the PZ three-bladed props 'cause I wanted to compare the performance. Well, first launch and dunno what happened (I suspect cosmic rays ) she just nose-dived hard into the ground, cracked the cowl and bust a blade off the prop.

The damage wasn't actually that bad - although one of the wings got unseated in the crash. I re-glued that with my emergency glue and let it cure whilst I flew something more appropriate for my apparent (lack-of) skill today.

All fixed (notwithstanding the cracked cowl), I fitted a replacement prop. and tried again. This time (no cosmic rays) she took off beautifully and soared and swooped as graceful as you like. The cowling was rattling a little - but actually sounded pretty good; like the real thing! Anyhoo at some point something was clearly wrong because for no reason at all that I can fathom (except perhaps excessive vibration due to the cowl) Pilot Pete (aka Lt. O'Hare) "ejected"!

The cockpit flew off the fuselage and floated sedately to the ground whilst I struggled (quite a bit) to keep control of her (the drag effect caused by an open fuselage is phenomenal) and tried to bring her down as effectively as I could (which wasn't easy given she was handling like a brick). Result - another ding as I hit the ground too hard, another broken blade on my prop and a shattered cowl.

So, back to the stock prop and an order placed for a replacement cowl (there was no hope of repairing the original one - it was too far gone).
The PZ 3 blade prop is made of a very brittle plastic, it takes nothing to lose a blade. I loved the 3 blade on my Corsair, so quiet but alas one nose over and it was gone. I use MAS or GWS 3blade props now and APC and HL 4 bladers and not lost a blade since.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that. I use them on other planes, but they have landing gear so it's never been a problem (unless I go arse over nose with the motor running).

I don't have a problem with the stock prop, so I'll just go back to using that.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, IL, Oakland
Joined Aug 2006
20 Posts
Got 2 flights on the wildcat, flew really nice had a friend launch it no trim added, flew formation with a hangar nine at-6, looked cool, landed it no issue's, I have already had 1 shoulder surgery not sure if I can launch it myself
yellerchief is offline Find More Posts by yellerchief
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:09 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Dual Aileron Output

So is anybody using the second aileron channel on the ARS500 stock receiver?

As my bird is laid up until the new cowl arrives I have been looking at fine-tuning the rates, expos and throws and have struggled with the differential in the ailerons. Then I noticed that there is a second connection on the receiver for the aileron (which works 'cause I plugged in a bare servo).
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,376 Posts
Is not a separate channel, simply functions as an internal Y-connector.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:42 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaRendezvous View Post
Is not a separate channel, simply functions as an internal Y-connector.
Ah, Ok. Thanks Luna. That probably means I won't be able to set up the differentials then.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:39 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,376 Posts
I'm not a 100% certain but depending on your radio you may be able to reprogram the gear channel to enable differential aileron control, try searching in the radio forum or starting a new topic there.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
Found a new way to launch it. Did my usual hand toss but was slow getting to the elevator and it nosed into the ground at 3/4 throttle. Must have hit the elevator just in time to flair it, as it hit the ground and bounced about 2' into the air. Hit throttle and away it went. Would not recommend this technique however(lol). Wind was 12-15mph and it handled pretty well, thrown around a little bit. Did alot of loops and rolls. It is really responsive to control inputs, so even when I screw up it can be corrected quickly. What a great little plane.--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:32 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
So took my tubby out to the field and two three-bladed props and one cowl later I returned home down-hearted.

I fitted the PZ three-bladed props 'cause I wanted to compare the performance. Well, first launch and dunno what happened (I suspect cosmic rays ) she just nose-dived hard into the ground, cracked the cowl and bust a blade off the prop.

The damage wasn't actually that bad - although one of the wings got unseated in the crash. I re-glued that with my emergency glue and let it cure whilst I flew something more appropriate for my apparent (lack-of) skill today.

All fixed (notwithstanding the cracked cowl), I fitted a replacement prop. and tried again. This time (no cosmic rays) she took off beautifully and soared and swooped as graceful as you like. The cowling was rattling a little - but actually sounded pretty good; like the real thing! Anyhoo at some point something was clearly wrong because for no reason at all that I can fathom (except perhaps excessive vibration due to the cowl) Pilot Pete (aka Lt. O'Hare) "ejected"!

The cockpit flew off the fuselage and floated sedately to the ground whilst I struggled (quite a bit) to keep control of her (the drag effect caused by an open fuselage is phenomenal) and tried to bring her down as effectively as I could (which wasn't easy given she was handling like a brick). Result - another ding as I hit the ground too hard, another broken blade on my prop and a shattered cowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
Found a new way to launch it. Did my usual hand toss but was slow getting to the elevator and it nosed into the ground at 3/4 throttle. Must have hit the elevator just in time to flair it, as it hit the ground and bounced about 2' into the air. Hit throttle and away it went. Would not recommend this technique however(lol). Wind was 12-15mph and it handled pretty well, thrown around a little bit. Did alot of loops and rolls. It is really responsive to control inputs, so even when I screw up it can be corrected quickly. What a great little plane.--Bo
That's pretty much what happened to me, but I think it must've been those Cosmic Rays again (moving West I would imagine).

Mind you, my "landing" was a little less forgiving.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Maidened my new F4F this yesterday. It turned out to be a handfull. The aircraft is definitely tail heavy with the stock 1300 li-po, or at least mine is, causing it to be highly unstable. I'm going to add some weight to the nose. It also wants to roll right in certain throttle settings. I've read here that others have taped quarters to the left wing to counteract this. The plane is definitely weighted right-wing heavy from the box. Like the plane, but need to get this straight before I try any more flights. Flew it for four flights with various trim settings, and was lucky to get it safely on the ground a couple of times. Would appreciate any advice from those more familiar with this plane. BTW, I've owned and flown a PZ Spitfire MKII for a few years now since they came out and have flown RC off and on for nearly 40 years. Have never progressed beyond intermediate though.
oscarlovel is offline Find More Posts by oscarlovel