HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Oakland
Joined Aug 2006
20 Posts
what kind of paint are you guys using on the wildcat, this is my first foam plane and dont want to mess it up. also went with a 2200 mah batt. I added 1/4 ounce at the tail wheel , havent had a chance to fly her yet, a little worried about hand launch and fly, never had a plane that didnt roll down the runway,...thanks
yellerchief is offline Find More Posts by yellerchief
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellerchief View Post
what kind of paint are you guys using on the wildcat, this is my first foam plane and dont want to mess it up. also went with a 2200 mah batt. I added 1/4 ounce at the tail wheel , havent had a chance to fly her yet, a little worried about hand launch and fly, never had a plane that didnt roll down the runway,...thanks
Its actually quite easy. Just make sure all your trims are completely level, except for a tad up elevator hold it before the tail, full throttle, and throw it HARD at a 45 degree angle.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
Registered User
jimmyzrx's Avatar
United States, MO, Joplin
Joined Apr 2012
145 Posts
i was told to throw hard, and i threw it like a football it spiralled almost carshed it, so mind how you throw it, mine is all stock and i can just toss it into the wind at full throttle
jimmyzrx is offline Find More Posts by jimmyzrx
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
809 Posts
I've found this lil bird to be very easy to hand launch. No football throw needed. I throttle up to about 2/3 - 3/4 and gently toss her forward at about a 40-45 degree angle. The motor quickly takes over and it feels like the plane is gently flying out of my hand. Since she's trimmed out now, she just keeps her heading and goes for the sky.

NOTE: Using the TP 1350 with 25C/50C bursts gives plenty of power and can safely be done w/o upgrading the ESC, as long as I don't firewall the throttle.
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:48 PM
H2oSmokey
dainw's Avatar
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
ZOOMING ELIMINATED . . . FIXED!
I had tried the throttle down elevator mix, weight in the nose, weight moved aft, single washer under motor mount top two screws, and still zoomed. So . . put another washer (two each aprox 1.8mm total) to give more down and right thrust. Removed weight and put battery back where designed (full forward) SUCCESS !! Very happy ride now! No zoom on throttle up, no zoom coming out of loops. Very flat and rides like on rails!!
dainw is offline Find More Posts by dainw
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:41 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Took my tubby out for a spin yesterday and got to fly two LiPos before a thunderstorm rolled in.

Took a dinglet to my starboard wing, so glued the broken peice back into place and taped the wingtips (as protection against further "dumb thumb" incidents).

When I removed the canopy to disconnect the battery, the magnet seat in the main fuselage just came right out

Has this happened to anybody else? I got it back home into the workshop and reglued it, but this was annoying. Had it happened after my first flight that would have called time on my fun (which would not have been good).

She stills tends to port a little even though I am 99.9% certain that laterally she is perfectly well balanced and the ailerons are also even, might have to check and re-check the rudder alignment...

I've also noticed that the wing saddless have given a little and so the wings are a little "loose". I'm not really keen on gluing them into place (would make a mess of the fuselage if I ever needed to take them back out to replace them or work on them). I'm considering sinking a rawl plug with epoxy into the wing and then bolting through from the fuselage to keep them steady. Any comments/words of warning before I do this?
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:38 AM
You can't take the sky from me
copperbricks's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
A lot of us just put in shims, and those keep the wings tIght.
Btw, has anyone broken 100mph with their cat? Im trying to get there. And also, has anyone used an 8 inch prop with a faster motor?
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:20 AM
who put that tree there
dazza44's Avatar
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
took my wildcat out yesterday 1/4 inch foam block 2200mah 3 cell lipo,
perfectly balanced with my added wheels..
man this thing is so easy to fly inverted..
and finished with greased landing..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:36 AM
Love Flying History
mustangloyd's Avatar
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
Took my tubby out for a spin yesterday and got to fly two LiPos before a thunderstorm rolled in.

Took a dinglet to my starboard wing, so glued the broken peice back into place and taped the wingtips (as protection against further "dumb thumb" incidents).

When I removed the canopy to disconnect the battery, the magnet seat in the main fuselage just came right out

Has this happened to anybody else? I got it back home into the workshop and reglued it, but this was annoying. Had it happened after my first flight that would have called time on my fun (which would not have been good).

She stills tends to port a little even though I am 99.9% certain that laterally she is perfectly well balanced and the ailerons are also even, might have to check and re-check the rudder alignment...

I've also noticed that the wing saddless have given a little and so the wings are a little "loose". I'm not really keen on gluing them into place (would make a mess of the fuselage if I ever needed to take them back out to replace them or work on them). I'm considering sinking a rawl plug with epoxy into the wing and then bolting through from the fuselage to keep them steady. Any comments/words of warning before I do this?
Codejock,
last year I flew into a football goal post and split my right wing in two. I reglued it back together using 5 min. Epoxy and it flys fine ,but I lost my roll rate it's alot slower and akward. I can live with it ,but I can always just get new wings .

Loyd
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Wretcho's Avatar
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
It took a 5/8 inch spacer on my 2200 2S to get it right.
I'm from metric land, to be honest I couldn't tell you what 1/4 of an inch is :P
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
Registered User
Russell_C's Avatar
United States, FL, Brooker
Joined Apr 2008
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
I'm from metric land, to be honest I couldn't tell you what 1/4 of an inch is :P
You can always Google it. Type in "5/8 inches to cm" and it will convert it for you. It's fairly easy and I use it for those metric only measurements that are sometimes used.

Hope this helps.
Russell_C is offline Find More Posts by Russell_C
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:40 AM
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellerchief View Post
what kind of paint are you guys using on the wildcat, this is my first foam plane and dont want to mess it up. also went with a 2200 mah batt. I added 1/4 ounce at the tail wheel , havent had a chance to fly her yet, a little worried about hand launch and fly, never had a plane that didnt roll down the runway,...thanks
Water soluble paint should work, I always test it first on foam.....spray cans bubble the foam, some have had success w Kryon-plastic spray cans, but very light coats.

I view the launch as a dart toss, keep your eyes on the horizon and toss at about a 15-25 degrees up
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Its actually quite easy. Just make sure all your trims are completely level, except for a tad up elevator hold it before the tail, full throttle, and throw it HARD at a 45 degree angle.
More than likely if try to throw this plane like a fifty yard pass you won't have a nice level takeoff. Just throttle her up and toss her let motor take over and go. Resist the urge to give full up elevator at first to get some wind over the wings. She is REAL easy to launch, landing are pretty good just stock up on some cowls now! If you buy a spare Murphy's law states that you won't ever need it! That is my thinking at least.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:01 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Oakland
Joined Aug 2006
20 Posts
Appreciate the response guys now just need time off from work to get her in the air, also will test some paint for the wingtips , looking forward to the maiden flight
yellerchief is offline Find More Posts by yellerchief
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
Flying is Freedom
Sky_Captain's Avatar
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzrx View Post
i was told to throw hard, and i threw it like a football it spiralled almost carshed it, so mind how you throw it, mine is all stock and i can just toss it into the wind at full throttle
Who ever said that should be scolded
Check out how easy my toss is on my maiden.
PZ Wildcat Maiden.wmv (5 min 41 sec)
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone F4F Wildcat WOW!!!! ilovejets1 Parkflyers 34 Dec 09, 2010 10:29 PM
Build Log Dumas 17.5" F4F Wildcat LoneRanger Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 53 Jul 07, 2010 10:34 AM
Wanted TRADE MY NEW EFLITE P47 your ALFA F4F WILDCAT! BRUTUS2238 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 10, 2010 10:31 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 04:00 PM
Discussion Scratchbuilt F4F Wildcat kylewoody Parkflyers 2 Sep 01, 2009 09:18 PM