HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:16 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog343 View Post
Yes, It sure is, all at once, and even in the field if you suspect somethings wacky....
Having that lug always gives you a consistent reference point! Have a few more pic in my blog showing some different airframes...and how they hang.
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the "Warbird" club!
Thanks!
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
shepflyr, I tell everyone that likes flying in the wind to try a 2200. So, Try a 2200...

Wretcho, Sounds fun, good luck with it.

2200? Got 'em. Can do!

It's not that I especially like flying in wind, although sometimes it is a lot of fun. It's just that at the grass field I fly at, there's often not any choice...fly in wind, or don't fly!

Thanks!
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
I use 1 oz of lead strapped under those finger holes, for the 2200. Otherwise you will be nose heavy.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldc View Post
I use 1 oz of lead strapped under those finger holes, for the 2200. Otherwise you will be nose heavy.
That's why a number of pilots on this thread report using a 1/4" + styrofoam spacer in front of the batt in the batt box. Shifts the CG back to compensate without adding additional weight. Either way, getting the CG right is really important on this plane!

I have added small lead weights to several UM's, especially when they're tail heavy, and that's helped a lot. Will do it to this one if the spacer doesn't fix it.
Last edited by shepflyr; Jun 19, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: more info.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
I use a 1/4 inch block of foam in front of my lipos for CG, both with 2200's and my 1800's 3s. I do have a heavier motor also which affects the cg. I hate adding dead weight to planes

Have played around with moving the weight further back, harriers like a bawse!
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
I use a 1/4 inch block of foam in front of my lipos for CG, both with 2200's and my 1800's 3s. I do have a heavier motor also which affects the cg. I hate adding dead weight to planes

Have played around with moving the weight further back, harriers like a bawse!
It took a 5/8 inch spacer on my 2200 2S to get it right.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
327 Posts
I added so much spacer I went and got a longer strap.
I use 40c batterys with the power 10 though. She buggies!
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
I changed to the longer batt strap when I added the 1/4" spacer even with the Thunder Power 1350. That short strap and the way they designed the upper slot it goes in is a real pain to work with...unless you're a kid with tiny fingers!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
I changed to the longer batt strap when I added the 1/4" spacer even with the Thunder Power 1350. That short strap and the way they designed the upper slot it goes in is a real pain to work with...unless you're a kid with tiny fingers!
That's what I carry a small pair of needle nose plyers for. Otherwise ya, threading the strap is an excersize in frustration
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:15 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldc View Post
That's what I carry a small pair of needle nose plyers for. Otherwise ya, threading the strap is an excersize in frustration
I use a foam wedge that I made up between the carbon wing spar/rod and the rear of the battery. The magnetic cockpit holds it in place. Works well and is much easier than the strap.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
You should never have to thread the strap.
And never unhook the velcro at all.
Leave it just a touch loose and just slide it off the side of the battery.
You can easily slide it on and off.
The battery will be plenty secure.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:24 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
When you switch from back & forth from 1300-2200 battery, you have to change straps.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Good point, I only run 2200's...
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
I'm tired of replacing props and cowls on my Wildcat.
Where I fly the landing is in a slightly grassy gravelly area. On landing I usually break the cowl; sometimes break a prop; and inhale gravel into the motor and have to blow it out. I'm on my 3rd cowl and second prop.

Time for a landing gear

I used the LG from a Extra 300.
Main Landing gear $1.99
Landing gear plate $3.99

I cut thru the skid plate and foam to fit the Extra 300 landing gear plate in the belly of the plane. With gorilla glue and epoxy it's solid.

For ~$6 I now have a LG that I can take off or keep on. I'm hoping the LG will mean fewer cowls at $6.99 and props at $3.99
Last edited by msdumo; Jun 20, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
I'm tired of replacing props and cowls on my Wildcat.
Where I fly the landing is in a slightly grassy gravelly area. On landing I usually break the cowl; sometimes break a prop; and inhale gravel into the motor and have to blow it out. I'm on my 3rd cowl and second prop.

Time for a landing gear

I used the LG from a Extra 300.
Main Landing gear $1.99
Landing gear plate $3.99

I cut thru the skid plate and foam to fit the Extra 300 landing gear plate in the belly of the plane. With gorilla glue and epoxy it's solid.

For ~$6 I now have a LG that I can take off or keep on. I'm hoping the LG will mean fewer cowls at $6.99 and props at $3.99
Nice set up!!! You will love flying the Wildcat with landing gear. I've had landing gear on my Wildcat since the day I first put it together, I guess three to four years ago.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L