SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
OK, got her back in the air yesterday at my club and got her trimmed out but is still was rolling hard to the right. Adjusted Ail enough to get her to fly streight. When I landed, I saw that the Ail's were set enough to make a good left turn on most planes. Grabed it by the motor shaft and she rolled quickly right. Another guy showed up with his F4F and I asked him about his and he then showed me the quaters taped to the left wing of his and his Ail's were almost in a left roll position! I was thinking of putting some weights in the left wing but do I want to ballance it or just make it not as offset? I'm pretty sure it is ballanced this way for torque roll but it has too much offset weight. Am I right or should it be ballanced even?
Colby, I believe most PZ F4- Cats come with a mild wing warp or some twist that produces that right roll effect. Too get mine to fly straight & level I did add weight to the left wing while I was balancing the plane.... just enough weight to level her. Also had to still use some left trim but not nearly as much. If you need a slick method to balance your planes, ck my blog for my "Balancing....Quick and Easy" post... Good luck and keep em flyin!
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Thanks Ddog! I will give her a try. I did get it to fly pretty good but it took a bunch of trimming and I would rather ballance! I see you have the 3 blade prop on your F4F. Is that the one for the F4U? My F4U flys like a dream!!! Are you running a stock setup and battery? I love the look of 3 blade props!!!!!!!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Ddog! I will give her a try. I did get it to fly pretty good but it took a bunch of trimming and I would rather ballance! I see you have the 3 blade prop on your F4F. Is that the one for the F4U? My F4U flys like a dream!!! Are you running a stock setup and battery? I love the look of 3 blade props!!!!!!!

I will not condone this, as I screwed up, rookie thang, But that is a Mas 9x7x3 on the stock setup...Been that way since I broke the Corsair 3bladed prop on the Maiden. I have around 50 or so flights on it with that same Mas prop.... The point I'm trying to make is that ..... those Mas 3 bladed props have been "super durable" for me....
I know I know, its on my list.... I will upgrade the esc . Anyhow, was glad to help out.
Keep em flyin!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:56 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Proud New Owner

So I treated myself to one of these puppies on Friday. Plugged the charger into the lighter socket in the car and by the time I got to the field the stock LiPo was fully charged.

I assembled her then and there, fit the battery, checked CG and basic control surface movements, bound and then launched.

Wow!, she took off out of my hand like a rocket and I quickly climbed to a "minimum safe distance" (which for me is somewhere above four mistakes high) where I got a feel for her. She was a little aggressive, pulled slightly to port and was a little tail heavy so I skid landed (Ok, bounced ) and dialled in the expos and throws.

Second launch (a little ropey) but off she went. Feeling a little more confident, I did a couple of rolls, tried a hammerhead or two and generally had some fun with her. Needed to fine-tune the ailerons a little; port aileron was a little proud of TE at the servo mid-point but that was soon fixed with the help of those handy screw clevises.

No more juice left in the battery so had to call it a day. All in all though, maiden flight of my first (ever) warbird and what a thrill!

I've also made it about a third of the way through the posts on this thread (page 185 of 543 at last count) and have been reading/following with interest both Orion's and Hinks' accounts of fitting retracts, and I have to say they look pretty darn cool!

I know there are super search tools, but to be honest, they are only any help when you actually know what it is you are looking for!

Here's looking forward to many more hours of fun with this super airplane!
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Last edited by CodeJock; Jun 18, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:07 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
So I treated myself to one of these puppies on Friday. Plugged the charger into the lighter socket in the car and by the time I got to the field the stock LiPo was fully charged.

I assembled her then and there, fit the battery, checked CG and basic control surface movements, bound and then launched.

Wow!, she took off out of my hand like a rocket and I quickly climbed to a "minimum safe distance" (which for me is somewhere above four mistakes high) where I got a feel for her. She was a little aggressive, pulled slightly to port and was a little tail heavy so I skid landed (Ok, bounced ) and dialled in the expos and throws.

Second launch (a little ropey) but off she went. Feeling a little more confident, I did a couple of rolls, tried a hammerhead or two and generally had some fun with her. Needed to fine-tune the ailerons a little; port aileron was a little proud of TE at the servo mid-point but that was soon fixed with the help of those handy screw clevises.

No more juice left in the battery so had to call it a day. All in all though, maiden flight of my first (ever) warbird and what a thrill!

I've also made it about a third of the way through the posts on this thread (page 185 of 543 at last count) and have been reading/following with interest both Orion's and Hinks' accounts of fitting retracts, and I have to say they look pretty darn cool!

I know there are super search tools, but to be honest, they are only any help when you actually know what it is you are looking for!

Here's looking forward to many more hours of fun with this super airplane!
It was a mistake for you to buy your first warbird because now you will have the fever!!!!! You can't just stop at 1 warbird!!!!! They all fly a little different but all I have flown are a blast. I really love my PKZ F4F, F4U, BF109, T-28 but my son likes the P-51D the best. I hope you have a good job to support your new warbird addiction!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Wba

Quote:
It was a mistake for you to buy your first warbird because now you will have the fever!!!!! You can't just stop at 1 warbird!!!!! They all fly a little different but all I have flown are a blast. I really love my PKZ F4F, F4U, BF109, T-28 but my son likes the P-51D the best. I hope you have a good job to support your new warbird addiction!
Thanks Colby. This isn't actually my first warbird, I also have the HK Mosquito which is undergoing some mods at the moment (new motors, props and l/g). I have been so busy on that project that I have missed out on some fun so, as I said, treated myself.

In addition, I have the Kyosho .40 electric Spitfire - but I will be needing many, many more hours of flying before I maiden that lady! The Wildcat is, however, the first ever warbird that I have flown and makes me a fully-paid up member of "War Birds Anonymous"
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
See, it was your tricky line "maiden flight of my first (ever) warbird" that threw me off. You said 1st "flight"! They are a blast. My sone ans I had fun yesterday evening with the F4U and P-51D out in the yard. I have been to Munich in June and it is a beautiful place and your summer weather is a heck of a lot nicer then here in hot Texas!!!! I haven't had my F4F long but it is a blast also.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
CodeJock,
One thing to check on every new Wildcat is the elevator horn mount.
See if that huge hunk of plastic raises up if you pull on it.
If it's allowed to stay loose it will probably crack and cause a crash.
I simply CA'd it down good and haven't had a problem.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
See, it was your tricky line "maiden flight of my first (ever) warbird" that threw me off. You said 1st "flight"! They are a blast. My sone ans I had fun yesterday evening with the F4U and P-51D out in the yard. I have been to Munich in June and it is a beautiful place and your summer weather is a heck of a lot nicer then here in hot Texas!!!! I haven't had my F4F long but it is a blast also.
Oops!

Yeah, the weather here in Munich is normally pretty good. It's generally hot but mostly dry (probably not quite like in Texas) 'cause we are quite far inland nestled behind the Alps. Having said that, we have been having some odd weather lately with big temperature changes and torrential rain.

It's difficult to fly in the evenings as our landing strip runs west to east with a prevailing westerly normally about 2-3 Kts. The sun gets to just about the perfectly wrong spot in the sky and approaching from the east means flying out of the sun, so that's a no-goer. I'm hoping for some cloudy weather later this week so that I can get out again after work and play with my new toy (some more)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
CodeJock,
Yeah, I gave that a good tug when it came out of the box just to make sure that's it's well in there. Thanks for the tip though, I will bear it in mind and keep checking it after each flight.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog343 View Post
Colby, I believe most PZ F4- Cats come with a mild wing warp or some twist that produces that right roll effect. Too get mine to fly straight & level I did add weight to the left wing while I was balancing the plane.... just enough weight to level her. Also had to still use some left trim but not nearly as much. If you need a slick method to balance your planes, ck my blog for my "Balancing....Quick and Easy" post... Good luck and keep em flyin!
That's a pretty good trick, hanging her up like that. I assume that's how you get the lateral balance as well.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
That's a pretty good trick, hanging her up like that. I assume that's how you get the lateral balance as well.
Yes, It sure is, all at once, and even in the field if you suspect somethings wacky....
Having that lug always gives you a consistent reference point! Have a few more pic in my blog showing some different airframes...and how they hang.
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the "Warbird" club!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2007
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
CodeJock,
Thanks for the tip, mine was about 1/3 off!
SubEd is offline Find More Posts by SubEd
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
767 Posts
Hey, guys. My elevator horn was totally solid. However, I've had other fun challenges getting this bird in good flying trim.

Both ailerons were horribly warped...bowed up in the middle...right out of the box! The rudder was off-center and the horizontal stabilizer was warped, too...right end warped down and left end warped up. Not much, but enough to make her roll left. Never seen the like in any bird I've ever bought!

Made for some interesting flights until I got everything straightened out and unwarped. Used heat from a hair dryer very carefully to do the unwarping.

Also, I'm using a Thunder Power 1350mah batt that has 25C with 50C burst. Makes a huge difference in power over the suggested Parkzone 1300 batt.

And like many folks have talked about, mine was way nose heavy. Put a 1/4" styrofoam spacer in the batt compartment which moves the CG back to a better spot. I flew her yesterday in 4-8mph ground level and 9-15mph winds at 100'. She was sweet! Bounced around a little in the wind, but I had much better control. Low 8' fly-bys were beautiful! She's one of the best looking warbirds flying.

Now I'm starting to really love this bird!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Last edited by shepflyr; Jun 18, 2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: PS: Never had to use more than 75-80% throttle...even heading into the wind!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Hello!

After flying my Wildcat for about 18 months it's still going and still one of my favorite planes to fly. It is my first plane and it's still a joy to fly

Have made some upgrades though, firstly throws. Have pushed the throws to the max, have to modify the ele and rudd pushrod holes in the fuse to clear and not bind. With putting more pressure on then control horns I have strengthened them with epoxy just to make sure.
Then I put a new motor/Lipo and ESC from my retired PZ Extra 300 (became a problem child plane), this setup almost dropped in to the Wildcat without any modification. 15-size 950kV brushless motor with a 10.5x9 prop, 30-amp brushless speed controller and Turnigy 1800mah 25c Lipo pumped out 350 watts.The Wildcat was awesome! Fast as heck, super fun to fly and with huge throws the blenders and snaps were funny as hell.

New project which I've just finished and shall be trying on the weekend, adding a 60 amp speedy and 4 cell
Static tests show 630 watts peak, steady 600watts. Found a Zippy Lipo that fits pefectly. Was pulling 44 amps, this was with the 30 amp E-Flight ESC (fairly confident they have under-rated it) and it was not getting hot even @ static for a minute WOT tests. Have the 60 amp HK ESC if it goes pop, the other thing is the 15 size PZ motor is a 42 amp max for 15 seconds, also not getting hot for 1 min static tests so fairly confident this setup shall be fine if not kept at WOT for the entire flight.

This should be freaking fast, going to have to go easy on the fast banks and climbs to not fold the wings off lol. Will post pics and results asap.
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
shepflyr, I tell everyone that likes flying in the wind to try a 2200. So, Try a 2200...

Wretcho, Sounds fun, good luck with it.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs