HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:42 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
What about an Eflite 480? I am thinking of dropping that in the front of mine. Custom RC has a mount and I need other stuff from them anyway. I have an Eflite in the drawer with no home.
Very good question, I had an Apprentice motor (15) go bad so I replaced it with and Eflite 15......WOW the jump in power was phenominal !!! At least a 50% boost. She would literally jump off the ground! Not only that but it could take a 4 cell, even more power!! I had to add more rubber bands to the wings. If you do it please let me know if the same thing happens with a eflite 480 replacement........thanks

Shouldnt the eflite 480 bolt right on???
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:14 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jul 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Gawd I guess! ... but a 25 size motor in a 2 pound bird? Just get a rocket. : LOL

Quitchyer, Will that eflite take 4s? Hmmm....?
Now your starting to get the picture.

If you search back you will find the video of my Wildcat with the OS.
Artski is offline Find More Posts by Artski
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,154 Posts
Artski, I can only imagine! I have the Power 10 in mine on 3s. The bird does not have flight characteristics befitting a racer like some of the other warbirds do.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Please don't use an airtight ammo box as it has the potential to turn into a bomb with shrapnel added to your woes. Here is a video where the presenter talks about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-GXMhwW2U
Andy
Well that SUCKS!
dainw is offline Find More Posts by dainw
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
So what would make a good, large storage container for let's say 30 batteries
that has to be stored in the house to keep cool/warm through the year?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
“Just because someone posted a video on Youtube doesn’t make it true.”
~ Anonymous

Lipo batteries do not catch on fire for no reason. They should be stored in a cool, dry location - best choice would be to store them in such a way as to protect them from physical damage. And discharged to approx. 3.85 volts per cell.

You can safely store them in a latched/closed ammo box. You can safely store them in a cardboard box. You need heat to start a lipo fire, just like other fires. A lipo cannot catch fire sitting on the shelf.

Use some common sense. If you drop a lipo, or crash one, take extra care on subsequent charges. If in doubt, completely discharge it and throw it out. Keep your charging gear in proper condition. Use the temp sensor if your charger has one. Touch the battery during a charge to test for excessive heat. Cool is best, hot = something is wrong.

Class D fires (metal fires) and how to extinguish them. "Dry power" is what's best. (Not dry chemical.)

Fire Extinguisher Training : Identifying a Class D Fire (1 min 4 sec)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_classes

Don't believe everything you hear or see. I came across one fellow who said you can use sand for a class D fire. Sounds reasonable but it's not that simple. Sand is ok as long as it's completely dry... if it has some moisture it can actually make things worse.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:25 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Please don't use an airtight ammo box as it has the potential to turn into a bomb with shrapnel added to your woes. Here is a video where the presenter talks about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-GXMhwW2U
Andy
I think storing and transporting is fine. You usually do not have fires from lipos that are stored or in route to the fly field. The video speaks of charging them in the ammo box to create the explosion caused from an air tight ammo box. However if you are doing so, its not really air tight and wont cause an explosion. You would have to go to great lengths to make it air tight. Using an ammo box is fine and if you feel you need to charge in it, make sure you only have the one lipo in it, the lid is open and you are monitoring it through the charge process. If a fire happens it will be contained to the ammo box due to the nature of the ammo box but a fire should never happen if you are responsible with your hobby.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:29 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
I just went and bought an extra lipo bag. Everything is an economy of scale so if you have a lot of lipos you should probably not store them all in the same bag. I now intend to split the pile evenly and maybe get another bag for transport. The guy at the LHS wasn't surprised to hear that someone's garage caught on fire. He said that was the third one in a year he has heard about. He also agreed that ammo box is a bad idea as the transfer of heat is equal to the inside temp. I am from the history repeats itself philosophy. Better safe then sorry. Besides, I have an attached garage which would really be bad.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:

He said that was the third one in a year he has heard about. .
I heard the other day that my neighbor around the corner saw St. Mary on the side of their storage shed. I have no doubt the report is accurate.

Did you know that you should toss salt over your shoulder after someone sneezes? Sounds kinda of silly but it's better to be safe than sorry!

I'm amazed at the paranoia and superstition surrounding lipo batteries. It's science, you can learn about this stuff.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
I am from the history repeats itself philosophy. Better safe then sorry. Besides, I have an attached garage which would really be bad.
LOL! I am from the "You can't fix stupid" philosophy. Which history repeating itself is a perfect example of that. Buying a lipo bag is just anticipating that histories repetition in the attempt to reduce damage costs. Simple answer, be smart about how you use and charge your lipos. I don't care if you have a lipo bag, ammo box or a burlap sack, being educated about your lipos and how best to use them will prevent any issue.

Orion
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Well, being smart means having systems or steps in place to prevent errors. Example, my Uncle use to take me flying and would preflight the plane and explain why this and that needed to be inspected. We still had a forced landing and it happened to be his seventh. It wasn't until I was in the Navy as an Air-dale did I realize how bad a pilot and his preflights were. The Navy is a big stickler for not taking short cuts or using safety equipment if it can prove useful. That being said, every once in a while life will throw you a curve --telephone, door bell-- and you procedures can get tipped. I think Headless's experience should be taken as a serious reminder that lipos can and do catch fire. I realized that even though I was charging in an area I thought safe I did have my car parked next to it and there are oil based paint cans close too. So I am not being superstitious when I say those could catch fire and probably should not be near a charging lipo. Just being smart.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:53 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
well finally took my new cat out for her maiden happy to report i ran a few battery's threw her and as expected she flies like a deram..
Fun fast and low passes was the order for today and i did plenty of them...
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:55 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Congratulation!!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:25 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Well, being smart means having systems or steps in place to prevent errors. Example, my Uncle use to take me flying and would preflight the plane and explain why this and that needed to be inspected. We still had a forced landing and it happened to be his seventh. It wasn't until I was in the Navy as an Air-dale did I realize how bad a pilot and his preflights were. The Navy is a big stickler for not taking short cuts or using safety equipment if it can prove useful. That being said, every once in a while life will throw you a curve --telephone, door bell-- and you procedures can get tipped. I think Headless's experience should be taken as a serious reminder that lipos can and do catch fire. I realized that even though I was charging in an area I thought safe I did have my car parked next to it and there are oil based paint cans close too. So I am not being superstitious when I say those could catch fire and probably should not be near a charging lipo. Just being smart.
Well I don't think your being superstitious either with the paint cans and your car. Its just that neglect is the biggest error. If you have to leave the room, press stop on the charger. Its not like a plane that once flying you are committed. I know a couple of guys personally that have set their house on fire with a lipo and the reasons were the same, they left the lipo unattended while charging. A lipo is not a nicad, you can press stop on the charge process and it will be fine. I do it all the time. If you can not be in the same room where you can monitor it then your just trying to use one of your systems. Having safety systems are fine but you have to ask yourself if its preventing an error or compensating for it? The difference is a reflection of your processes and habits.

Orion
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:35 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Good habits make good points.