HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete48 View Post
No float rudder. I do have the plane rudder at max throw though.

The lake is in Northern Michigan. 9 miles long.
Nice lake! Looks much like 4 th lake Old Forge NY.
Thanks Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
The trouble with fire proof boxes and safes are that they are designed to protect the contents from external fire not the other way around.
My Honda CB-1 took the brunt of the 2nd fire and some of the plastics look like Salvador Dali had designed them. I was lucky with just a minor burn to one arm so I think someone must have been looking out for me.
Andy
Andy burns are nasty. Smoke is sneaky.
Fireman Sam read you the riot act?
I understand there was a move in the UK to remove fire extinguishers from public places. The thinking being people are untrained and would put them selves at risk fighting the fire, when they should be escaping.
I never did hear if that thinking was implemented.
Personaly, not that I'll go down with the ship, but give me a fighting chance!
Good show! Chris
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker View Post
Just can't get out to fly anymore.Shame that nice plane isn't being enjoyed by someone. Yes it is posted in classified.
Sorry you can not get out any more.
Lake Murry has room for floats!
Lived in Chapin, on the lake, in 76.
Miss the folks there and the food!
Miss Robbie Sevil and the Star Gang most!
Perhaps they still play around Lexington. Good Luck Chris
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:40 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps one of the lipos had some internal fault that was not picked up by my budget chargers. If I knew the answer it would be easier to convince the wife that it's ok to start again. The manager of the local model shop had a lipo fail but he was present and was able to remove it from his workshop before it could do any damage. The previous manager lost a workshop to a lipo fire as he wasn't watching them. They are both in the business so I would assume that they were more aware than us punters of the dangers and warning signs. It still didn't stop them from having a lipo fire.
Lessons to be learnt. Always watch your charging lipos,charge them in a lipo sack or purpose built charging box (haven't found one yet!) and keep them away from anything flammable especially all your charged up packs and gas mains!
Andy
Sorry for your loss!

I do most of my charging outdoors, when indoors I throw them in a stainless steel pot or bowl. I am guilty of leaving them for a while after charged as well.

What brand LIPO's were they??
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:44 AM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Can anyone with a power 10 in their bird tell what flight times they are getting? With what size LIPO? Thanks..............................
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
I like to stop at 12:00 with a 2200 battery and a T28 prop. I mostly cruise around with bursts of WOT for a really high speed pass or super vertical. For max speed within the motor specs, you can go 10x9 and about 6:00 WOT.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapG View Post
Pics of two Wildcats at the May Top Gun event. The Wildcat without the "meatball" in the center of the star won 4th place in the unlimited class.
Nice pics.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Well mine won't be seeing any action from now on as the pictures show.

Here's the link to the full story so other's might learn form my experience
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=21
Andy
Dang bro, that really sucks. Are you sure that Wildcat won't fly again
Thanks for the lesson learned. You have encouraged me to be more careful.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:13 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Most of the damage was done by the flame over which covered the entire ceiling and went down the walls by about 2'. My wife had been complaining about the number of models in the garage so at least she is pleased!
Andy
That's what happened. She jinxed the wholet thing
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapG View Post
Pics of two Wildcats at the May Top Gun event. The Wildcat without the "meatball" in the center of the star won 4th place in the unlimited class.
Nice pictures. Thanks Chris
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Whenever I hear of a Lipo fire, I get paranoid and want a post-mortem to look for an external cause other than just a lipo igniting for no reason.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:21 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I've got a g10 1200kv in mine, with the t-28 prop, and I think I get 6 minute flights with wot only occasionally. It's literally not safe to use, it gets away so fast that I lose orientation very quickly. In any case it already has enough weight to get going pretty fast in dives.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I've got a g10 1200kv in mine, with the t-28 prop, and I think I get 6 minute flights with wot only occasionally. It's literally not safe to use, it gets away so fast that I lose orientation very quickly. In any case it already has enough weight to get going pretty fast in dives.
Thanks guys, I am reluctant to throw a 10 in for that very reason, afraid of losing it, pretty quick with T-28 prop, maybe I will play w props..........
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
Put a 10x10 or a 9x9 on it!! Let R' Rip!!
Really fun on windy days. You have plenty of power to punch out.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
It already pulls 47 amps! I may try a 10x8 on it though, because I think the t-28 prop may be bending in top end throttle. I flew it on sunday in some nasty wind, but the sky was grey. After one flight where I lost oreintation, and pulled out just above the treetops I decided I'd had enough. then on sunday I took it out in similar wind, but with clear blue skies- it did much better, the wind hardly affected it. I need to reinforce the wings though, even at 1/3 throttle they were flexing noticeably, especially in turns. It was fun to see the faces on the neighbourhood kids when I hand launched at half throttle, and then went up to full in a vertical climbout-priceless!
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks