Tamiya weathering master chalk.
biggles2 is offline Find More Posts by biggles2
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles2 View Post
Well ive had it since October but have just been doing bits here and there,have enjoyed this build alot though and will look nice next to my Hellcat and Corsair
Rock on!! Good job, man.
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
Dark lord of the Sith
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
Forgot to mention that its Major Robert Galer "Medal of Honour"
biggles2 is offline Find More Posts by biggles2
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
I have a question regarding the statement highlighted in red

"* Prop may stall -> static thrust may not be reached! (see Prop Stall Thrust) *"
Basically it is warning you that on the bench, or moving slowly upward, the propeller is likely to be paritally stalled and not doing well; as soon as the plane gets moving the propeller will work better. If you are going for all-out speed, the plane won't work quite as well going straight up (which is fun too).
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:47 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,401 Posts
I just noticed that the tubes that hold the pushrods are so tight that they move along with the pushrod - is anyone else's doing that?

After much effort I got the tube to move along the pushrod, but I think I'm going to leave it the way it is because it slides pretty easy in the fuselage hole.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:59 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

I am subscribing to this thread.

Owned the cat for over 6 months now, and a happy camper. The better part of me wants to leave the aircraft stock, however there is a desire to modify it.

The components:

carbon job on the wings

Eflite BL 25 motor

APC 8x8E

Turnigy Nanotech 4S 2200maH @ 45C

eflite power 60 esc

This thread is a substantially big one, and I am glad I have found it. My hope is someone in here has already tried the above mod...in particular the prop motor battery combination.

I would like to know peoples experience with this setup, and how the hand-launch went....what to look out for, and if it is recommended.

The 8X8E APC prop as you all might know is the factory recommended prop for the BL 25 motor by eflite giving over 800 plus Watts on the 4s setup which is what I intend to do....and bear in mind the high pitch 8x8E will give the infamously dangerous left torque characteristic no doubt...

My BIGGEST fear is that it will left torque in to the ground...yes I do plan on inducing the slight right and downward offset...but im not sure how much this will stop the initial torquing once it leaves the hands....at low speed...not enough where the ailerons at this time will be more or less capable of countering the initial left torque effect.

I am doing Mode 2, and intend to toss with my left hand with my right hand at the ready for the sudden attack

Please Help, I must make a decision as to use or not to use this motor on this ship....

I do not want to use the 3s setup with this motor....ill keep it stock for that matter.

I would imagine 3/4 throttle for handlaunch would be more than sufficient??? --> Please correct me if proven otherwise

Please advise

Thanks guys

tengarang
So, let me get this straight, you have owned the plane for six months,and your'e just asking now what to expect out of a typical hand launch, have you flown the plane yet?
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,411 Posts
Baby steps. Dang. Up the esc to a 30 just to be safe and put the Trojan prop on. People are pretty happy with that inexpensive mod. I think you should be worried about the left handed torqueplex if you put that set up on. The heavier you are the more likely you are to go through cowls. I'm still flying mine stock with a 2200 and am completely satisfied.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:23 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
I just noticed that the tubes that hold the pushrods are so tight that they move along with the pushrod - is anyone else's doing that?

After much effort I got the tube to move along the pushrod, but I think I'm going to leave it the way it is because it slides pretty easy in the fuselage hole.
The tube is there to provide ridgidity. I don't think they are intended to slide. I recall some folks saying that they moved freely on some of the earlier Parkzone warbirds, but all of mine do not.
Lilienthal is offline Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
So, let me get this straight, you have owned the plane for six months,and your'e just asking now what to expect out of a typical hand launch, have you flown the plane yet?
Negative Limited Flyer....i am well aware of the stock setup launch.

If you read my entire message, you will learn what I am truly after is what I can expect from using a 8x8E proped by power 25 1250kv at full throttle hand launch.

My guess from the preceding hints is that it will over torque it self to the left and in to the ground.

This is certainly not the case with stock setup ... full throttle will just glide out of ones hands...no worries.

6 months without a scratch...now I am worried.

I said I was going to go with the power 10, but digress I am still going with the power 25 ...yeah i know it iwll be over powered, but it is something i want to experiment with...

Its all fixed up now..had to add 1 AA battery and one 7g lead weight from great planes all the way in the rear where the tail wheel is.

the setup is power 25 1250KV and 10x10E....this will be 3s setup.

for initial launch I will go with 40% throttle as someone in here as suggested...maybe even less...as long as i break 320 watts based on the throttle stick from my watt meter, I will toss it...definately will not go full throttle on launch since it is for sure catastrophe.

Regards

Tengarang
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,862 Posts
Yes I have two carbon strips per wing.

one carbon strip on the rear horizontal stablizer. Also have the stock tubes going through the main and the rear

probably going to carefully use clear shipping tape and tighten up the foam from one end of wingtip to the other end. This will make the wing hard to break with natural flight stress...i hope.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,862 Posts
Quote:
Basically it is warning you that on the bench, or moving slowly upward, the propeller is likely to be paritally stalled and not doing well; as soon as the plane gets moving the propeller will work better. If you are going for all-out speed, the plane won't work quite as well going straight up (which is fun too).
Thanks for your feedback once again...jdwolters...

well ill let you read one of my previous posts to another pilot in here explaning that i went with the power 25 1250KV after all...

Ill take my chances and try the 35-40 percent throttle at hand launch with 10x10E...

if this works Great....if Not im getting a new PNP if I cant fix the wreck and get the power 10 setup and use the after wreck power 25 on my p-47 which I want to leave stock now...the retracts and flaps are keeping me from wanting to make it faster...

What i cannot get off my conscience is another fellow pilot at my field ... hes got the f4f as well with an 8x6E running on a 4s...power 25

Then I get you and other good men in here telling me otherwise....So I have plenty of feedback...All I am doing is finding the middle ground and allow myself to discover whether if I can do it or not.

middle ground = 3s setup using power 25

Regards

Tengarang
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:42 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,334 Posts
Quote:

My tubes and pushrods move together also... Elite power 10 motor needs a little (1/16) shim (spacer) off the bulk head to let the ACP props to clear the cowl.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:59 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Ill take my chances and try the 35-40 percent throttle at hand launch with 10x10E...
Go for it!

Quote:
... another fellow pilot at my field ... hes got the f4f as well with an 8x6E running on a 4s...power 25
Only 8x6? You should beat him with 9x9 on 3S. (don't tell him )

Ps: if I am not mistaken, a 4S 8x6 should be about the same speed as a 3S 8x8.
Last edited by jdwolters; Jan 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Ps
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
The tube is there to provide ridgidity. I don't think they are intended to slide. I recall some folks saying that they moved freely on some of the earlier Parkzone warbirds, but all of mine do not.
The tubes are gripping the pushrods with enthusiasm! The fuselage holes are a little oversized so I'll leave it alone because they slide freely. I was going to glue the tube but it might lock up the control.
Last edited by jdwolters; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM.