HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:14 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,589 Posts
dkintx

Just looking for the most beneficial procedure whether FM or otherwise. I do have a couple UM planes with 2.4 systems and they suggest plugging the battery in the plane after turning on the tx..

On another note, flew 4 batteries through the Wildcat yesterday afternoon. With the three blade prop and stock motor/esc, the vertical performance is beyond my needs, I can barely keep it on track for a long way, straight up. I got 7+ min flights with about 11.5 volts left in 1300 ma (stock) packs. Batteries just warm and no discernible heat in the esc. This little plane is such a joy to fly - the way it looks pulling away from the hand launch is a real 'tickle'.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Aug 23, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:22 AM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
dkintx

Just looking for the most beneficial procedure whether FM or otherwise. I do have a couple UM planes with 2.4 systems and they suggest plugging the battery in the plane after turning on the tx..

On another note, flew 4 batteries through the Wildcat yesterday afternoon. With the three blade prop and stock motor/esc, the vertical performance is beyond my needs, I can barely keep it on track. I got 7+ min flights with about 11.5 volts left in 1300 ma (stock) packs. Batteries just warm and no discernible heat in the esc. This little plane is such a joy to fly - the way it looks pulling away from the hand launch is a real 'tickle'.
i hope i didnt come off rude... ya thats the case with those micros because thats how you put them in the bing mode i believe i saw some one say in the jr manual they read spektrum designed in our favor for that
to where the throttle is always cut into the off position weather glow or elec and all servos goto the neutral position where they origionally bound to...
but yes i doo the old skool way just to be safe
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:51 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbomber View Post
Hey anybody think the 3530 from Turnigy would be an OK choice for this plane? I posted the specs a few days ago asking but nobody had a comment.....just wondering if it would be enough. They say its a 345W more in SK form. I know the 3536 is killer as some claim unlimited vertical with a better esc.

Any thoughts here guys?
Hey, I thought you were good to go with the one that balanced and fit the best. Plenty of watts in any of 'em. Kind of a rule of thumb isn't it for about 100 watts/lb. to fly decent so I'd think anything over 300 watts in this plane will easy 'get 'er done'.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:24 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,010 Posts
Yea, I didn't think it mattered for 2.4. I just thought it to be safer to put the plane down near the runway and turn on the tx just before ready to fly so there is no accidental bump of the controls walking from the club house to the runway.

Anyway, back on topic. This plane really does fly nice. Not sure why it needed so much up trim with the stock battery. This is my first belly lander. It sure does look nice with out the gear hanging down. Next time out I will try some 2200's in it.
Dwhart24 is online now Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:45 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Come on pax, you can't be serious. If you think your little experiment is in any way relevant to what is going on when the plane is several hundred away then you are mistaken.
Tell ya what Turner, you do it your way and I will do it mine. I have never had a lost signal in the 3.5 years I have been flying with this TX. On the old FM/AM stuff if you were to rub or touch the antenna to the RX you would get all kinds of twitching and what not. This digital stuff is not the case.

Besides, if I take your theory of the dead space and the instructions from the book saying to point it up at a 45 degree angle I am putting the dead space right in my flight path because when flying at a field the plane is diagonally out in front of you at various angles and I am sure the cone of silence is bound to be there somewhere to fly through.

Oh and yes I was very serious about about the video. You say there is dead space. It should be relevant at any distance according to your theory and it wasn't. You can give me all the numbers and graphs you want, I will prove it in the real world. I do understand that the cone of silence or dead space will expand with distance but realistically, I would be willing to bet you the plane would already be close to out of range before it even mattered.

So y'all can keep the AR500 and bend your antennas out of paranoia and plug in your RX first. I, on the other hand, will keep my fingers and fly my planes and pray I don't just dumb thumb it in under my own fault.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:56 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Hey anybody think the 3530 from Turnigy would be an OK choice for this plane? I posted the specs a few days ago asking but nobody had a comment.....just wondering if it would be enough. They say its a 345W more in SK form. I know the 3536 is killer as some claim unlimited vertical with a better esc.

Any thoughts here guys?
perfect actually... I put the 3536 in mine and wish I had a 3530.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:04 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,589 Posts
Hi, Dw -

My Wildcat balanced just a tad nose heavy with the stock battery (3.9 ozs.). I also use a TP Pro-lite 1350ma which is 3.5 ozs.and the less weight seems to show in the way it feels in flight. Like some others, I've added a 1/2" thick piece of foam at the front of the battery cavity to help with the trim but there is still a tad of up trim needed. The largest one I use is a 1500 Common Sense 15c at 4.9 ozs. and I notice the feel of it too - the plane seems a bit more sluggish. All in all, it's good enough!!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:50 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
...Besides, if I take your theory of the dead space and the instructions from the book saying to point it up at a 45 degree angle I am putting the dead space right in my flight path because when flying at a field the plane is diagonally out in front of you at various angles and I am sure the cone of silence is bound to be there somewhere to fly through...
I think you are misinterpreting the illustration and have no understanding of the effect of distance. And it's not my theory. Oh well, I tried.

By the way I am in agreement with you on on off sequence.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
I haven't been doing this very long as you all know and I have seen a lot of warnings from a lot of sources saying TX should be first on and last off without fail unless binding in Spektrum's case. I've seen and read that warning in surface and air situations. I didn't know it was even debatable.

I use an ar500 and have never paid much attn to how my antenna was pointed. With the above illustration though it seems that a 45 deg angle pointing at the ground would be the best position, no? That puts the dead space behind you. Keep in mind, I still add, subtract and multiply with the help of my fingers....lol.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:40 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,186 Posts
Jr X9503 Manual Pg# W-1:

• Do not point the transmitter antenna directly toward the model. The radiation pattern from the tip of the antenna is inherently low.

As far as the on off sequence the manual say it doesn't matter. I always do TX first though

Page# G-25

Tips on Using 2.4GHz Systems
While your DSM-equipped 2.4GHz system is intuitive to operate, functioning nearly identically to 72MHz systems, following are a few common questions from customers.
1. Q: Which do I turn on first, the transmitter or the receiver?
A: If the receiver is turned on first, all servos except for the throttle will be driven to their preset fail-safe positions set during binding. At this time, the throttle channel doesn’t put out a pulse position preventing the arming of electronic speed controllers or, in the case of an engine-powered aircraft, the throttle servo remains in its current position. When the transmitter is then turned on, the transmitter scans the 2.4GHz band and acquires two open channels. Then the receiver that was previously bound to the transmitter scans the band and finds the GUID (Globally Unique Identifier code) stored during binding. The system then connects and operates normally.
If the transmitter is turned on first, the transmitter scans the 2.4GHz band and acquires two open channels. When the receiver is then turned on for a short period (the time it takes to connect), all servos except for the throttle are driven to their preset fail-safe positions while the throttle has no output pulse. The receiver scans the 2.4GHz band looking for the previously stored GUID; and when it locates the specific GUID code and confirms uncorrupted repeatable packet information the system connects and normal operation takes place. Typically this takes 2 to 6 seconds.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Aug 23, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:49 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,049 Posts
Quote:

Any thoughts here guys?
Please see post # 308. My PZK P-51 has unlimited vertical with this setup.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post

Tips on Using 2.4GHz Systems
While your DSM-equipped 2.4GHz system is intuitive to operate, functioning nearly identically to 72MHz systems, following are a few common questions from customers.
1. Q: Which do I turn on first, the transmitter or the receiver?
A: If the receiver is turned on first, all servos except for the throttle will be driven to their preset fail-safe positions set during binding. At this time, the throttle channel doesn’t put out a pulse position preventing the arming of electronic speed controllers or, in the case of an engine-powered aircraft, the throttle servo remains in its current position. When the transmitter is then turned on, the transmitter scans the 2.4GHz band and acquires two open channels. Then the receiver that was previously bound to the transmitter scans the band and finds the GUID (Globally Unique Identifier code) stored during binding. The system then connects and operates normally.
If the transmitter is turned on first, the transmitter scans the 2.4GHz band and acquires two open channels. When the receiver is then turned on for a short period (the time it takes to connect), all servos except for the throttle are driven to their preset fail-safe positions while the throttle has no output pulse. The receiver scans the 2.4GHz band looking for the previously stored GUID; and when it locates the specific GUID code and confirms uncorrupted repeatable packet information the system connects and normal operation takes place. Typically this takes 2 to 6 seconds.
This is the exact same wording in the Spektrum manual for the DX6i.
Dwhart24 is online now Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:10 AM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
... The next time i went to fly the plane the elevator was reversed and all the D/R settings were changed???????????
I swear I did not do anything with the DX7 TX...
Gentlemen, what did you need to do to fix the servo reversing? Turn the RX and TX on/off? Rebind? Reprogram the TX?
jeffsch is offline Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:19 AM
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
I am proud to join the ranks of Wildcat owners. Just got it this weekend and happy to report it flies great. Anyone on the fence about this plane need not be worried. I am not an experienced flier but had no trouble, other than the adrenaline, controlling the thing.
Flew straight as an arrow with no trim necessary right out of the box.
Biggest surprise was how much of a charge it is to watch the thing climb out after a hand launch. Wow.
MikeSawicki is offline Find More Posts by MikeSawicki
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:06 AM
Joined Jul 2009
50 Posts
New Wildcat Owner

Hello all!

After crashing my PZ Bf109, I chose to take the electronics, except the motor, from the Bf109 and put them into a new plane. While I was browsing at the LHS, I found the Replacement Airframe set for the Wildcat. Since the LHS was selling this for around $70, I bought it and transplanted the salvaged electronics and a spare PZ 480 T-28 motor into the Wildcat.

I have flown it about 8 times in the last week and just love the way it flies and how well it handles the wind. I was concerned about ruining the paint finish on the plane by belly landing and planned to use packing tape on the underside of the wings and fuselage to protect them until my friend suggested a different solution: Minwax Poly. I had a can of semi-gloss water-based Minwax poly and applied a layer with a foam brush to the entire airplane, except for the canopy. Thus far, the poly finish has held up superbly and there is no damage to the finish on the plane from landing in grass and short weeds.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, I also have a horizontal stabilizer that is warped. It does not seem to impact how the Wildcat flies, but it bothers me. I will try gluing a CF rod into both sides of the horizontal stabilizer to straighten it out and reinforce it further. Will let you all know how it works out.

Great plane! Now if PZ would only make a foam Stearman or Waco biplane...
jpdjr is offline Find More Posts by jpdjr