SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SkylineFlyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:12 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
Curious though the slow retract times and what the torque or push force is for the actuator.

Wonder if they would be good for swing wing systems. That is if they have any holding force mid transition.

I have a whole set of pneumatics that could use them.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:00 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if it were me, I would look into Fergelli ( or however it's spelt) instead. they make some small actuators that would be perfect for swing wings, but are expensive as hell.

after saying that, if these are screw jack by design, they should be strong at any position, since the torque is linear. it's multiple times stronger than the best servo. when it's stationary, the screw would locate it in position, making the position as strong as can be. I wouldn't worry about it in that application, but the above may be another option for you.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:18 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
if it were me, I would look into Fergelli ( or however it's spelt) instead. they make some small actuators that would be perfect for swing wings, but are expensive as hell.

after saying that, if these are screw jack by design, they should be strong at any position, since the torque is linear. it's multiple times stronger than the best servo. when it's stationary, the screw would locate it in position, making the position as strong as can be. I wouldn't worry about it in that application, but the above may be another option for you.
totally agree but it can all depend on if plastic etc is used in certain places.
Oh I first encountered the power a screw jacks with the old KBan satellite dishes. Ours stopped working so I took it apart to trouble shoot. Without thinking to far ahead I powered up the motor while holding the arm. The thing pushed me across the living room .

They've been using the same idea in the electric retracts but they fail due to design or parts used. Now that they are redoing most of them in metal, they should do well for the size but the electric piston replacement method is better since the construction of pneumatic retracts are more rugged and proven.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:00 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
they also sell an electric drive, so you can convert your air retracts to electric. that might be another good option. I'm considering them for the flap drives on an upcoming project.
Hmmmmmm.....Flap drive. Had not thought of that. That would be wicked cool. Now you have me thinking.... How about a canopy raising actuator.....

The possibilities are almost endless.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:38 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
Hmmmmmm.....Flap drive. Had not thought of that. That would be wicked cool. Now you have me thinking.... How about a canopy raising actuator.....

You can get a $4 servo to run a canopy vs his $80 actuator. That would be on the over over over kill side

But they would be good linear drives for swing wings and flaps. Flaps especially since the could sit flush in a wing. But there is little information on using them mid way like a servo. It appears they are full open or closed from the smart sense positioning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:49 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
FYI: spoke to a Asian vendor today and they said they have the entire PZ lineup on order, rotating and metal. So they are on there way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:01 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post

or you could probably order the gizmo that operates the canopies on the LX foamies. I imagine that's either a screw jack or a servo. deffinitely be a lot cheaper. LOL.

the flaps on my 757 will be pretty darn big, so I want the to actuate scale like and also have some oomph behind them. these electric actuators should fit the bill pretty good.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
or you could probably order the gizmo that operates the canopies on the LX foamies. I imagine that's either a screw jack or a servo. deffinitely be a lot cheaper. LOL.

the flaps on my 757 will be pretty darn big, so I want the to actuate scale like and also have some oomph behind them. these electric actuators should fit the bill pretty good.
So are you going to be able to stop the flaps mid-position or is it going to be an all or nothing (full up or full down)?
Sorry for the goofy question but I am just getting back into this hobby and trying to figure out all the new stuff.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:12 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, it'll be positionable. I'll most likely use a control board for screwjacks from a website in the UK. it will position your screwjack in any position you desire, rather than full in and full out. I suppose you can cheap out and disassemble some old servos and use the pots for positioning. where there's a will, there's a way. LOL.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:23 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
I think JJ is asking this in the context of the WingSpanRetracts that has an auto circuit that remembers the end point rather than the current conventional prefixed usec to set transition. Good idea as it allow the actuator to be used with varying retract assemblys to achieve landing gear being fully down or up without the use of end point switches.

To use as a screw jack all of that would have to be bypassed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yes, I would remove any hardware, other than the screwjack mechanism. although, that does seem rather counterproductive, since I coudl make my own screwjack out of a reworked servo, driving a machine screw. of course, an adequate housing would have to be made. I may go that route anyway with the Jaguar landing gear, since I need to figure out a way to drive them and the flaps. could be rather cheap and inexpensive. it would be nice if one of the older, imaginative gentlemen on this forum were to open a fresh thread on how to build a screwjack with a modified servo, using modern equipment. I know they are out there, since they used to do exactly this for certain airplanes with vertically folding undercarriage.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:40 PM
Kelowna B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2003
63 Posts
Jack Mechanism

I have posted a link to a supplier of the type of gear motor that you are speaking of that could be used for anything from lifting a canopy to extending a flap.
They have mounts for their motors and controler boards as well as all kinds of things that talented people on this list could do that would be very cool.
These gear motors are $15.99. Scroll down the page and just imagine what can be done with some innovation.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/998
aab1991 is offline Find More Posts by aab1991
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
great website. reminds me of Tamiya stuff. I was just looking at Tamiya geardrives yesterday and they seem to be about the 20 dollar mark, so not much difference. they could deffinitely be made to work, with the right controller.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:17 PM
Kelowna B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2003
63 Posts
I found this website that someone interested in making e-retracts has seemed to have completed a set but all the links on the site seem to have gone dead and there haven't been any updates in a while. Someone with some electronics savy may be able to comment on this info.
Gary
http://www.laureanno.com/RC/E-Retracts.htm
aab1991 is offline Find More Posts by aab1991
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1991 View Post
I found this website that someone interested in making e-retracts has seemed to have completed a set but all the links on the site seem to have gone dead and there haven't been any updates in a while. Someone with some electronics savy may be able to comment on this info.
Gary
http://www.laureanno.com/RC/E-Retracts.htm
aab1991:

I found that website too. I thing that the person on that website may have something to do with Lado retracts. The page you referenced says "e-retracts" which is somehow associated with Lado. I thought I too had hit the jackpot when I found that site.

Interesting links to the other sites BTW. Some very cool possibilities with those motors. My big problem is figuring out the controller for the motors. I am not an electronics guy at all.