SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SkylineFlyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Switzerland, ZH, Dietikon
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Yup, 100% sure... I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to plug in stuff! And - like I said - after adding a voltage regulator, all was well. Oh well, maybe I got two "Monday" controllers in a row.
RoverTomcat is offline Find More Posts by RoverTomcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Pw-rc

Just a quick Note:

I purchased a couple of sets of "Common Electronic Retracts" from PW-RC back in September.
I never got around to using one as I had reserved it for a winter build project which I completed earlier this month. Last week I was about to maiden the AC when suddenly one of the retracts became bound on a gear door and despite it's built-in overload protection, it began smoking and burned up.
Remembering that this set had been purchased over 5 months ago, but none the less, when I contacted Philip he generously offered to sell me a new set at cost which was 50% off his retail and ship them free of charge. I've made several purchases in the past from Philip but nothing extraordinary so for him to extend such a generous olive branch a full 90 days after the warranty has expired is uncommonly generous.
I just wanted to let you guys know that although there are many dealers to choose from, there are not many that will give you a good reason to choose them. This dealer however, certainly is one of the rare gems.
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:33 PM
get high
charlotte, nc
Joined Feb 2011
360 Posts
Man those look just like the ones on the HL Euro Fighter/F 18? No? ^^^^^^^^^
BLOWZILLA is offline Find More Posts by BLOWZILLA
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWZILLA View Post
Man those look just like the ones on the HL Euro Fighter/F 18? No? ^^^^^^^^^
They're different. PW-RC has for the common Etract the PZ-15090. FW's are similar, but the housing is a one piece where as the 15090's have 2mm mount holes top and bottom to mount the plate either on top or bottom or directly.
I added the comprehensive list in this thread with pics showing the differences though IMO some of the parts are interchangeable.
comprehensive list
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:25 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Ok, I ordered a set of the Changsun and Freewing gear. I had one of the Changesuns stop working during setup/testing, and 2 of the Freewings stop working in setup/testing. So, I have the 2 working Changesuns as the mains and the one working Freewing as the nose gear. My concern is that the nose gear, which retracts forward for strength reasons, will not have enough torque to retract into the wind. I know it needs to be retracted at a fairly slow speed but I am concerned it will still have a problem. I will have my bec set to between 5.5-6v so hopefully that would help.

So, couple questions...anyone have any suggestions on a replacement motor for this retract that would have more torque? I won't care if it is considerably slower. Also, how does the "over current" protection work in these? Is it actually based on current or is it just a timer? If I do find a higher torque motor, will it cause a problem with that?

Anyone interested can see the retracts in operation in my build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1378975&page=3

Thanks
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:27 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Ok, I ordered a set of the Changsun and Freewing gear. I had one of the Changesuns stop working during setup/testing, and 2 of the Freewings stop working in setup/testing. So, I have the 2 working Changesuns as the mains and the one working Freewing as the nose gear. My concern is that the nose gear, which retracts forward for strength reasons, will not have enough torque to retract into the wind. I know it needs to be retracted at a fairly slow speed but I am concerned it will still have a problem. I will have my bec set to between 5.5-6v so hopefully that would help.

So, couple questions...anyone have any suggestions on a replacement motor for this retract that would have more torque? I won't care if it is considerably slower. Also, how does the "over current" protection work in these? Is it actually based on current or is it just a timer? If I do find a higher torque motor, will it cause a problem with that?

Anyone interested can see the retracts in operation in my build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1378975&page=3

Thanks
T is your gear travel set to +/-150%? I must be just fortunate to have purchased 22 or the CS and PZs and none had issue except for two that I pushed beyond rating.

I have a set on a FW F-35 that swing forward and close the door on a string. No issue. I'm working on another LX F35 with them also.

These all say that they have over current protection and I tend to believe this since it doesn't always cut out at the same time and the more you repeatedly stall them the shorter the cut out.

Trouble with a different motor is it may trip the over current circuit. But ask PZ directly. They can tell you for certain.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:21 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
They are definitely broken as they were being tested on a Y harness, one works, one doesn't.

Yeah I was going to use a string to close the doors too but was worried about it stalling. BTW what kind of spring setup did you use to have the doors spring open?

After posting this I set my bec to 5.5v and they close much better now. I will check everything radio-wise to make sure all parts are 6v compatible and may give that a try if I see any stall issues.

Thanks
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:40 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
They are definitely broken as they were being tested on a Y harness, one works, one doesn't.

Yeah I was going to use a string to close the doors too but was worried about it stalling. BTW what kind of spring setup did you use to have the doors spring open?

After posting this I set my bec to 5.5v and they close much better now. I will check everything radio-wise to make sure all parts are 6v compatible and may give that a try if I see any stall issues.

Thanks
For the FW F35 I added a arm to the strut to hold the door from fowling the sequence. It was only ok. I later tried adding magnets on another model; that is you put a magnet in the fuse and a piece of metal screw head or the like in the door at the edge of the door to meet the magnet. Its just enough to hold the door but not too much to stall the etract.

Mainly though I've used a servo to actuate the doors. I also run most of my stuff at 6V just to help make certain I don't brown out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:32 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
For the nose gear on the E-flite 25-46 size tricycle electric retracts, does anyone know if the steering servo mounts right on the retract, or is it some sort of linkage or pull pull arangement for steering?
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:57 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Jagzilla,

The nose retract has a slider, just like the smaller size. However, the retracts are all aluminum and look to be really heavy duty. I have a set on the work bench, so if you need any more info, just ask.

You could mount a small servo on the side of the retract frame, but in my other installations I opted to mount a more heavy duty servo a short distance away.

Hope I helped

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:24 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla View Post
For the nose gear on the E-flite 25-46 size tricycle electric retracts, does anyone know if the steering servo mounts right on the retract, or is it some sort of linkage or pull pull arangement for steering?
Jag
you can go pull-pull or servo for steering...servo steering can be set up a few different ways...i went this route...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate your response's
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Mar 19, 2011, 02:30 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,912 Posts
efflux RC news....

These Tam's (trailing link) upgrade struts for the E-Flite 15-25 size electric (IE: Habu 32) retracts will be here and on the webstore next week,

Gary
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Gunracer,

Hey that is a real neat setup you did for the nose retract. It sure beats trying to glue the servo to the side rails or even to glue the servo to a remote location.

Gary, that's great. I like the idea of you stocking Tams strut kits.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I am looking for a set of electric retracts that will support an 8-9lb F-18 that is fiberglass. I saw on the first page of this thread that E-flite makes some but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with others?
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach