HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkylineFlyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:30 PM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
147 Posts
I did drill and tap two holes. Struts will still move some. Not rock solid. Thinking about using Loctite on the screws. Just irritating as heck!
dawhale is offline Find More Posts by dawhale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:05 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
1,974 Posts
Next time drill the hole in a V pattern. Grind the flat stops like normal, and make sure to use thread lock on the set screws. You should not get any rotation with this set up. I hope that will help you for future set ups.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
How do you drill a hole in a V. Pattern?

I have always found ways to screw up drilling and tapping, drill bit wanders, threads get easily stripped in aluminum, always seem to end up with ugly left over holes.

I find it easy to blame Robart because they make it so easy to ruin their struts, so. I just don't buy them anymore. It just sounds stupid, they make premium scale retract systems for which they charge high prices, and then pass on one of the most difficult tasks for the customer to screw up.

If ya notice, Tam's stuff comes finished, holes drilled and tapped, extra grub screws.

Bottom line, Robart sucks, I hate them.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
How do you drill a hole in a V. Pattern?

I have always found ways to screw up drilling and tapping, drill bit wanders, threads get easily stripped in aluminum, always seem to end up with ugly left over holes.

I find it easy to blame Robart because they make it so easy to ruin their struts, so. I just don't buy them anymore. It just sounds stupid, they make premium scale retract systems for which they charge high prices, and then pass on one of the most difficult tasks for the customer to screw up.

If ya notice, Tam's stuff comes finished, holes drilled and tapped, extra grub screws.

Bottom line, Robart sucks, I hate them.
If i am going to drill a difficult piece i will try and do two things first.
One.... if possible is center punch it. It does not take much to make a small indentation. You could even use a small nail for this purpose.

Two.... I start out using the smallest drill bit I can. This essentially makes a "centering hole" for the next larger bit. Use sharp bits and at fairly high speed too, like in a dremel. Then I work my way up in size. Might take my three drillings to get to my desired hole diameter.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
You have the procedure exactly right. Center punch, then proceed to ruin a bunch of small drill bits while drilling pilot holes. Soft Aluminum tends to ruin drill bits pretty fast and the end result usually ends up with a less than perfect job.

In order to drill and tap holes you need sharp drill bits, a good quality tap, and a fixture to hold the strut without damaging it.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
This post was entered to merely get the subject matter back to include electric retracts that have been proven to work. The list is extensive and does not include Robarts.

In my opinion, Robart retracts, mechanical, air operated, or electric are equivalent to Edsels in the modern world of retracts.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
465 Posts
Soooooooo.....
I'm going out on a limb here but I am thinking that you do not much care for Robart Scalefan
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,256 Posts
Keep a candle next to your drill bits. When you drill aluminum, tap the bit on the candle to lube the tip.
Cutting aluminum with a chop saw? bump the blade with a candle first....
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Feb 02, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: cleaned
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,311 Posts
Do you guys mind if I go through this and clean it up a little. For example; delete unneccessary posts that have nothing to do with Retracts?
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:39 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
5,976 Posts
Be easier to get necessary info if you did, IMO.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Do you guys mind if I go through this and clean it up a little. For example; delete unneccessary posts that have nothing to do with Retracts?
I agree that you should clean the thread, it would be great if it was only a "comprehensive list of electric retracts" maybe add a note in the op stating discussions about retracts to be posted in a new thread and a link to posted here so you can add a discussion link to each retract set for ppl to discuss those particular sets in.

Jack
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,938 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to update initial posts with comprehensive info.
The chatter will happen when all more or less has been said and ppl are, well, just chatting.
But OK just straight to business talk if fine too.....
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:07 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,364 Posts
An interesting article for those that use Robart Systems and looking to upgrade or convert to electric, interested to see there prices and options.

http://www.robart.com/robarts-new-electric-retracts
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:32 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,256 Posts
Looking for a beat up set of Changs Sun retracts someone may have for parts.
I did a drop landing from about 10ft when I ran out of power and air.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:23 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Anyone know if there are some kind of spacers for the dsr-46 retracts to mount flat on some wood? Trying to mount them on my f22 and don't really have the tools to make spacers for them. Thanks
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk