HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkylineFlyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:40 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
that's why Canadians go across the border to drink, cause we look like real heroes being able to drink a whole case without getting drunk. hahahahahaha.
Shure you can Rich. . . . . . . . tell that to the mounties when your in the drunk tank in down town Toronto! Lol
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tron recognizer quadcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
yeah, as far as I know, you should be able to buy the actuator to replace the air cylinder in your own retracts. then again, there are a few companies out there that do that already.
Lado for one but they are very slow.

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, there's also down and locked and there's also wings on the web (I believe they are called). there are a few more, but their names escape me at the moment. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
Guess time will tell as far as what they ( Robart) will offer. I really like most of their stuff( wheels,strut covers and stuff along those lines) just their retracts and struts seem overpriced. Maybe it's just me.
Mike
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,568 Posts
The others do have similar but they are not univesal. They fit certain retract, usually their own.

Robart hopefully will design it to their line up with the actuation arm length being adjustable threaded coupled tip.

Cause, Rich, that sample of the SU gear you posted on the future FW SU-35 thread actuated by a $7 retract shows the actuator doesn't have to be expensive.... Its the custom retract mechanism that's should get the focus of $$.
These actuators after all should come down to a motor with a threaded internal hollow shaft fo the armature, a threaded shaft arm and a controller circuit with a cut off limiter load circuit. It really shouldn't be more than the cost of a good servo. In fact I'm surprised servo makers hadn't made worm geared servo a long time ago to answer to the desired linier actuation of a piston with they already have. Many real world aircraft apps. are switching to electric actuators for them to sample and there plenty of Robot arm solutions already out there also.
Glad Robart"s doing something but hope they're not going to kill us on these.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I agree Max. the answer can be simple and very inexpensive. it staggers the mind why any of the major players haven't produced a reasonabley priced, fully adjustable (or not) linear servo. there should be positionable and single action models to replace a multitude of operations. they could make them anywhere from fractions of an inch to several inches in travel and all that would change is the length of the drive rod and the plastic housings in which the guts sit. it really can't get any simpler than that.

I should be able to make a semi scale gear for my Jaguar and use a universal fitting to drive the system. all I would need to know is how much travel there is in the arc and order a linear servo to match that distance travelled.

the same applies to any other application. I should be able to design a flap system and use the same universal fitting to drive the flaps. then I simply order a linear servo in the desired travel length to operate them over the full range.

I don't know why everything has to seem so complex to these people and then price everything out of the reach of the average modeller. a linear servo wouldn't cost them any more to make than a "normal" servo, or perhaps a few pennies more at the most. either way, I'de love to go to Hobby King's site, or the local hobby shop and be able to order/buy a servo such as this, right off the shelf.

if they can do this in micro size, such as seen from Spektrum, surely thay can increase the size(s) and they'de make a killing.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:53 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
If you guys think it is so easy, GET cracking!
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:15 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
why would any of us do it, at the cost of hundreds or thousands of dollars, when the major servo brands already have the technolgy and means of doing it for pennies? it's not going to cost them any more than they already spend on R&D, when the investment of R&D for the average Joe would be up there in price. for them, the electronics are already there, so no extra money spent. for them, the injection molding of the plastic is already in place, whereas for us, large amounts of cash need to go into molding and securing someone to do it for you. simple economics really. the point is that they could have done this years ago (which they did & let it go) and kept it current. there's money to be made for them and they do not respond to the demand. linear servos/actuators are superior to rotary servos in every way you can think of. they have much more torque capability for less work and energy put in.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,568 Posts
TJ, please tell us that was just in good humour.
LuvE covered it but I already have a successful job thank you. I'd be starting from scratch mortgage the farm to start up, where they have an entire process setup to make such a reality. I finally bring something like this to market to compete against them and they come up with the same thing in mass production and I end up with a total loss.
Ya makes sense

If they even made their continuous servos with a hollow shaft, they would already have what we are talking about. Its a doable real world application that would be useful in many ways. In fact LX and Starmax has recently been putting such on their canopy actuation, wing fold operation, gear actuation.... so its already here its just not clear why the ones, Servo producers, that are most suited to produce such in a universal manor as servos, doesn't seem inclined.

PZ, a servo producer, has smaller ones for micros. Glider guy have a conversion kit for one of Fut older servo. So its not like there isn't a demand. Scale guys use a tiny pneumatics piston to do the same. These would be even more precise, longer lasting and much lighter.

Uses,
Retract actuation
Flaps
Slats/LE Flaps
Spoilers
Swing wing
Airbrakes
Canopy
Doors
Hatch Latch
Thrust Tube control
etc just for aircraft alone. Boats, Robots, Cars, Tanks..... all could use this linear control.
If the rpms of the motor geared or other is high enough, they also can be used for all flight surfaces with one great advantage; they do not load the motor to hold their position. The worm gear does this on its own.

Their profile is even better being no wider or taller than the motor. They are instead long and thin which takes less room and is more suitable for thin wings and tight spaces.

It just makes sense so if you can tell us why it would be so hard, what we may have overlooked then do tell.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
If you guys think it is so easy, GET cracking!
It is easy just go the any number of vendors who are selling electric retracts and hit the buy button. I've done it numerous times. It took very little effort on my part. I'm referring to purchasing retracts here. I have no desire to get into the servo business.
Mike
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:54 AM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
TJ, please tell us that was just in good humour.
Naturally.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:20 AM
Swansea, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
336 Posts
Electric Retracts

I'v been wanting a set of electric retracts for my H9 corsair 60. Probably have to wait a year for the "new item" price to come down to reality. Also like to hear the initial feedback from the new users before I write that check ! Its tough to justify a set of retracts that cost as much as the plane on my budget.
brianfp_400 is offline Find More Posts by brianfp_400
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:05 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,468 Posts
Any recommendation for a 6-7kg 30cc Tucson? Looking for retracts for her, would prefer elec over spring air. Jack.
Lojik is online now Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:59 AM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
159 Posts
I just purchased a set of LADO retracts and installed them. So far they function flawlesly. The problem I am having is related to the 3/8" Robart strut. I have filed flat spots on 3/16" music wire but the strut will still rotate on landing. Its driving me crazy. Has any one come up with a solution for this issue?
dawhale is offline Find More Posts by dawhale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
Did you drill and tap two holes for two set screws? I think the last time I used robostruts that is what the instructions explained to do. did not have a problem.