HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Discussion
Ember 2, what an awesome little plane.

So I have had my Ember 2 for a week or so now and I just wanted to comment on how great this little plane is. While it doesn't slow down as much as I would like, it will easily fly in my backyard. Well, I use a little bit of the neighbors back yard to hehe. Very easy to fly and it got me thinking why the manufacturer doesn't recommend this as a starter plane. I mean it is sooo easy to fly so the only thing I can think of is that the tail section does look like it could break easily in a bad crash. I know the thing does not like wind at all as just a 1-2 mph wind can easily make it start jumping around.

Anyways, great little plane and I would recommend it to anyone who likes flying.

Here is a little video I made just goofing off. First time my wife has ever shot footage on this kodak zx1 so it is a little jumpy. The compression of youtube also seems to be causing some issues with it to so there are some parts that are a little choppy. Hope you like it.

Ember 2 (3 min 5 sec)
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
537 Posts
How big would you say the area you flew in was? 100 by 100 ft?
iceman88 is offline Find More Posts by iceman88
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:54 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Yeah it was probably close to that. I was using part of the neighbors yard that lives beside of me, the opening picture with the tree in the left corner is their yard. Also the field going behind my house belongs to another neighbor. My entire lot is only .5 acres so its not very big at all.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:54 AM
Delta, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2009
45 Posts
You don't need much space to have a lot of fun with this plane...

Ember 2 Backyard Fun (3 min 50 sec)
Scotte 540 is offline Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Nice video. You had that thing moving. Did you have it at full throws? It looked like you were running it mostly at full speed to. Mine was only at half throttle except for the semi loop I did.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2004
119 Posts
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Ember. My son learned to fly with it on low rates, then got he comfortable with high rates - looping, etc. He could even force it to fly inverted. This past week he moved on the the Parkzone Micro P-51D without any problems.
TheRocksKid is offline Find More Posts by TheRocksKid
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Yea, the Ember is a great trainer. Its a micro "slow stick" Its fun to fly around in the yard to.
Ember2 outside (1 min 30 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
Delta, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Nice video. You had that thing moving. Did you have it at full throws? It looked like you were running it mostly at full speed to. Mine was only at half throttle except for the semi loop I did.
A lot of full throttle, but not for the full flight,,,,,,Full throws and a couple of my own mods,,,
Scotte 540 is offline Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocksKid View Post
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Ember. My son learned to fly with it on low rates, then got he comfortable with high rates - looping, etc. He could even force it to fly inverted. This past week he moved on the the Parkzone Micro P-51D without any problems.
That is awesome! I remember just a few years ago, you would never expect someone to move from a 3ch plane to a 4ch warbird and be able to handle it. They were usually much to fast and to unstable. I have heard great things about that little p51 being a great second step for people. I keep waiting for them to put out a micro corsair. My favorite plane of all time.

As for the ember 2, keep these vid's coming in. I love to see what people do with theirs.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2004
119 Posts
Quote:
I have heard great things about that little p51 being a great second step for people. I keep waiting for them to put out a micro corsair. My favorite plane of all time.
The Micro P-51 is a bit of a speed jump from the Ember, but it tracks really nice and doesn't seem to have any bad habits. Unlike the Ember she likes a bit of power on landing, so try to avoid the dead-stick situations.
TheRocksKid is offline Find More Posts by TheRocksKid
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Oh I know the warbirds like to stall without sufficient airflow. Everything I read about the micro p51, looks like they were able to bring that stall way lower than its counterparts.

Where are the ember 2 vids? Keep em coming!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:12 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
nice effects of the vid

the ember is a nice plane to learn how to fly just need a small like a front or backyard space and most of the time crashes doesn't do any damage and if it does a little glue or tape can fix it and even parts replacement don't cost much as long as its not the RX board

what do you think your next plane will be ?

a PZ micro j3 or HZ Champ or even bigger ?
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Well, for backyard flying I haven't decided yet. But for a bigger field, I will be getting the PZ P51. I really wish they would come out with a micro corsair as it is my all time favorite warbird. I already have 4ch experience just haven't flown them in a while. Got into all these little micro heli's and got out of flying planes.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2010
24 Posts
Forget the Ember, Scotte 540

I wanna know where you got that cat! The cat obviously owns that yard!

My dog would have been barking his head off every time the plane came near. He hates my planes.
bbevel is offline Find More Posts by bbevel
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
As for the ember 2, keep these vid's coming in. I love to see what people do with theirs.
Lights are nice!

So is making a hangar out of the shipping carton.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac