Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2001, 01:03 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,139 Posts
How was the Bay Area Duo??

I'm just curious how the Bay Area Duo was this past weekend. I looked forward to it all year but unfortunately wasn't able to attend.

I hope everyone had a great time!

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2001, 01:21 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
I can only report on Saturday's half of the duo. We had spectacular weather in Half Moon Bay -- crystal clear and very light breezes. A lot of interesting planes and spirited flying. The only downers of the day were several disheartening crashes. The saddest was a large trainer equipped with a "candy drop" apparatus that crashed badly on departure after all eyes had been directed to the runway in anticipation of treats falling from the sky. My heart goes out to the poor pilot of this craft! There was also a very bad incident where a pilot lost orientation during a wild series of snap rolls and crashed a speed 400 P-51 right into the pits, hitting a spectator on the leg. Apparently there was no serious injury, but it obviously could have been very bad indeed.

A number of E Zoners were in attendance. Greg G. had a terrible time all day with a series of technical difficulties, so I hope he had a better day at Devil Mountain!

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Oct 01, 2001, 02:25 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Eddie P
Sorry you couldn't make it to either event this year.
Neil summed up Half Moon Bay pretty well. Devil Mountian was also fun for all. A few mishaps, but nothing as dangerous as the crash in the pits at HMB that Neil mentioned. It was rather warm out at Devil Mountian on Sun. but the club has ample shade if you needed it. Greg G has posted some info on the Pylon page regarding the races and there are several other related posts on that thread also. The Hummer that is mentioned there is a really neat little plane, Very quick. I don't know if you have ever seen Steve Clausen fly any of his planes, but he is an outstanding pilot and he won the race on Sun. one handed, literally.
At the Half Moon Bay meet my wife was so impressed with the little GWS Tiger Moth that Ron Fikes was flying that she bought one. She goes to almost all the meets with me and she likes the planes, but this is the first one she has bought.
Hope to see you soon up in Reno.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Oct 01, 2001, 11:40 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I had a GREAT time Zipping the Zagi around at both meets!!.

It was very nice to meet all of you---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Oct 02, 2001, 06:27 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Neil sums up the weather at the Half Moon Bay field very well. This was <b>The</b> best weather I've ever seen at that site. Of the three times I'd been there before, it's usually somewhat overcast or foggy, being 300 yds. off the Pacific coast. There was nothing but sun there this time! One of the highlights for me at the HMB meet was a huge Travel Air monoplane. I'm not sure of the span but it was somewhere over ten feet! It featured an exposed radial engine completely hand crafted by the owner. Every cooling fin on the cylinders was made from balsa! Flew on 32 cells and an Astro 90G with handmade wooden prop. It looked like a real plane flying about there. Yes I did have radio problems <b>after</b> I got there. I had entered 30 sec. LMR with my well proven F7LMR Smart. There where two people other than myself on channel 46 (Neil and one other guy). I graciously decided I'd change frequencies when asked if this could be done to help the other pilots. A matching set of crystal/module was presented to me and after 1/2 hr of messing with things, I couldn't get the radio to respond at all so I backed out of the competition and changed back to ch. 46 for a later flight. It took me another 1/2 hr. to get everything working again on my own crystals. That should have been an omen for me to leave well enough alone and not fly it at this time but stupid me just had to try it out. The radio check worked flawlessly but the ensuing flight (?) afterward sucked! It went out of control and glided uncontrollably into terra firma (ouch!). Upon checking things once at home I found the wrestling match with the RX I had done inside the tight confines of the fuse had managed to loosen the antenna so that it made intermittant contact. I'll tell you what, that's the last time I try to be the nice guy and change frequencies at a meet.
The next day at the Devil Mt. Flyin was another beautiful sunny day. 56 pilots entered had a glorious time charging the air with electrons. I ran the SP400 pylon races for 12 contenders so I didn't ever get a flight in from 8:30 until 11:30 when the races ended. There were so many cars that we almost ran out of room to park! Jerry Kent, a member of the park board there came out to the meet. This field had been run by DVRC and we're supposed to have our runway and all club property out of there by Nov. 1. He liked the activities there and mentioned that we may be allowed back there once in awhile to fly electrics!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; Oct 02, 2001 at 06:31 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2001, 01:13 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
Quote:
I'll tell you what, that's the last time I try to be the nice guy and change frequencies at a meet.
Well, Greg, as the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished!"

I hasten to add that even though I was also on 46, I wasn't the one that Greg accomodated by changing his frequency; it was "the other guy!"

I felt very bad for you when I witnessed your crash, and was glad to hear you had a happier day on Sunday even though it doesn't sound like you got much chance to fly.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Last edited by Neil Morse; Oct 02, 2001 at 01:17 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2001, 09:21 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Neil, I'm sorry. I didn't intend to make it look like that was the case. It's just that you were the one that I knew. Yes it was the other guy, and it wasn't his fault either. Just a case of too big fingers in too small a space and being rushed to try to make it all work by race time. I do have another wing for the Smart and the fuse is repairable, so it will fly again. Thanks for your concern, Neil.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Oct 03, 2001, 11:44 PM
Joined Apr 2001
125 Posts
Alright Greg, where's the picture of all the E-Zoners at DM???

I attended both days, and had a great time. The air was thick with planes almost all day at HMB, and my bride-to-be won me a Super Whattmeter in the raffle. Sunday was a blast, with plenty of strafing runs up and down the runway. Chuck Hill and the gang did a great job of making us all feel welcome, I felt like I was at my home field. And it's always great to meet up with all the local 'Zoners.

There was also a professional camera crew out at Devil Mountain, we already pre-ordered our copy of the video.
Philip Aberer is offline Find More Posts by Philip Aberer