SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:25 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
Discussion
Pram Dinghy Sailboat RCM April 1991 Dingy

I've always wanted to build the Pram Dinghy sailboat. It was featured in RCM in 1991, and I dog-eared that page way back then. Its not a pretty boat. Let's get that out up front. But, it is cute and I think the kids will like it a lot. The Pram Dinghy was designed by Craig LaChance.

The other reason I wanted to build it is to try using Sintra PVC sheet on this application. It should make hull construction and finishing very easy. I used 3mm Sintra in the photos below.

Here's the link to plans if you are interested:

https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?m...2b75801ac3103f

Sadly, RCModeler magazine is gone, but you can still get their plans. I hope that they will not mind me putting scans of the photos from the article on this site. They are out of business now, and finding a copy of this issue would be darn near impossible unless you just happened upon it. And, it might just help sell plans for the RCM Plans Service!
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Last edited by HelloScott; Jun 25, 2014 at 05:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
In these photos, I cut out patterns and cut the plan and Sintra at the same time with an X-acto knife. BIG pieces! This isn't going to be a little boat.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
Sintra loves Medium/think CA glue. The original RCM plan calls for doing a "stitch & glue" method with plywood.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
The good thing about Sintra is that it has no "grain." The bad thing about Sintra is it has no "grain." So, when I pulled the sides together, they bent the same. But, I'm concerned about a little "cupping" of the material too over time. We'll see. If it does, it won't affect performance, it will just bug me.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:59 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
So far, these have been my tools in addition to an X-acto knife. The rasp is excellent for cutting down overhanging edges and the sanding blocks take if from there. A cabinet maker buddy of mine showed me how to make sanding blocks using standard belts and a very carefully created, rounded end block inside. Feeding the belt onto the block takes time. You literally get the belt just barely on there and then start smacking it on a tabletop. Eventually, the belt slides down into place. These blocks are 20 years old and still going strong since all I use them for is modelling.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
Rick built one. Post #472 & #475.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...723844&page=32
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Different than the one I'm making, but I like it!

Glen-L Marine has a full size one called the "Eight Ball"

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/sailboat/8ball.html
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:58 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
I wanted to fill the areas that needed it with some spot putty. Sintra seems to like Bondo just fine. Dries relatively quickly too.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
I'm just about ready to get a coat of primer on the hull. Great thing about Sintra is that you don't need to fill and sand. Just prime and paint!

I still have a few details to do before I can prime it.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:58 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,219 Posts
If I read this right, are you saying Sintra is like PVC pipe but in sheet form? Where is it bought, at a home store?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:12 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
If I read this right, are you saying Sintra is like PVC pipe but in sheet form? Where is it bought, at a home store?
Most sign shops carry it. The one I went to has 2mm and 3mm. And, if you look up "plastic suppliers" in your yellow pages, you can buy it in 4' x 8' sheets!

Very inexpensive PVC sheet material. Its really great stuff. I'm learning about it too. I used it on my Wendigo for the first time. Pat Trittle designed that boat and that's where I found out about it. Great stuff to build with!

Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...795470&page=15

Sintra is NOT the corrugated material you might be thinking about. Its solid PVC sheet. Sands and paints like a a dream! Photos are of my Wendigo.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:12 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,219 Posts
Thanks, Scott. I'll have to look this up.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Thanks, Scott. I'll have to look this up.
I built the Wendigo from scraps that they GAVE me. Other sign shops might be willing to do the same. If you just ask for "scraps" I would think that they would be willing to give you some to experiment with.

If want to purchase Sintra, you can certainly do so from Indy's Sign Source (aka Mize Supplize) here in Indianapolis. They have offered to our club, the Indy Admirals, to sell it in precut sizes so that modelers don't have to buy a whole 4' x 8' sheet. They carry 2mm and 3mm but can get other thicknesses.

Their card is attached. Ask for Scot or Jack. Great guys.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:29 AM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
i started racing the optimist pram when i was 7. by the time i was 13 I hated them hahaha

basically a big tub with a square bow... very slow sailboat if you didnt have it trimmed right.

I can't wait to see this come along
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711