HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cleansurf2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:08 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
599 Posts
Discussion
Scratch builts

This is the finished aircraft. I wanted to improve handling, I added the small top wing (experiment), no good. Recently modified it, stripped the tape and added additional wing sections, now a 42inch span. Fibreglass rods frm nose to wing tips are removal, used for protection for test flights. I added a carbon spar and covered in heat activated laminate, nice smooth stiff finish!
The CofG obviously needed to be moved back due to the increased wing area toward the rear. A fraction of Ahedrial accidently added when covering. about 3 degrees forward sweep on the outer wing sections.

Overall performance greatly improved. Good speed with the FWD swept wings, pitch performance improved as expected, glide greatly improved.
But something just not quite right with the handling, maybe Ahedrial or FWD sweep, no washout or just imperfection of the manual wing cuts and airframe.
The handling was not completely predictable.

I removed the front coreflute which changed the CG FWD. Flight performance and predictability improved. This hack experiment has died now, elevon broke away trailing edge of the foam, that's OK, some valuable data gained. I intend to refine this design down at some later stage to give a nice abstract looking aircraft, providing I can get good handling from the design type.
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Last edited by cleansurf2; Aug 02, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts