SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:21 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
No, it won't. If it does, it will kill the motors, post-haste.

This looks an awful lot like the "New to Ebay, 4ch..." model so many got jerked around with!
I'm now surprised to ACTUALLY see these shipping.
I was wholly unimpressed, and torched the thing to avoid wasting my time on it.

I do hope this only LOOKS like that bird...from the sound of it, it does, but I won't be having one.

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:39 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Oh anyone know if this could lift say 9grams payload (wireless camera)?
Hi djdavies,
I don't know what it is you want to video and whether you want to stick to helicopters or might be flexible on how to get your video, but there is a really interesting thread I found yesterday in aerial photography.

This guy seems to have hit the nail right on the head (no pun intended to Screwfix) .

Here is the link - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post16484992

Hope this gives you some ideas
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:12 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi djdavies,
I don't know what it is you want to video and whether you want to stick to helicopters or might be flexible on how to get your video, but there is a really interesting thread I found yesterday in aerial photography.

This guy seems to have hit the nail right on the head (no pun intended to Screwfix) .

Here is the link - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post16484992

Hope this gives you some ideas
Cool, I'll had a quick look at that thread, I'll look agian when I have more time, I wanted to try FPV flying, while the S107 had good lift I would not be able to fly from the next room with the IR system, The Big Chinook, sure 27Mhz but that was hard to fly in my tiny space even when looking at it.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts
Just got my 5888 and the instructions are a little vague.

How do I properly charge the heli up?

It says I should be looking for a green light to be flashing while charging and will be a solid green light when fully charged. I see no lights when I plug the heli into the charger. Should the heli be turned on to charge it? What light am I looking for? the ones on the circuit board or the green flashing ones on the side of the canopy?

How long is that average charge time?

Thanks,

Kiaiwee
kiaiwee is offline Find More Posts by kiaiwee
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,989 Posts
No .... it is most definitely NOT the one pictured below!

Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
No, it won't. If it does, it will kill the motors, post-haste.

This looks an awful lot like the "New to Ebay, 4ch..." model so many got jerked around with!
I'm now surprised to ACTUALLY see these shipping.
I was wholly unimpressed, and torched the thing to avoid wasting my time on it.

I do hope this only LOOKS like that bird...from the sound of it, it does, but I won't be having one.
No .... it is most definitely NOT the one pictured above!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:54 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaiwee View Post
Just got my 5888 and the instructions are a little vague.

How do I properly charge the heli up?

It says I should be looking for a green light to be flashing while charging and will be a solid green light when fully charged. I see no lights when I plug the heli into the charger. Should the heli be turned on to charge it? What light am I looking for? the ones on the circuit board or the green flashing ones on the side of the canopy?

How long is that average charge time?

Thanks,

Kiaiwee
Power switch on Rx/heli OFF. If you do NOT use the supplied WALL-current charger, whose LED brightly lights while charging, you are wasting Tx batteries!

I never use the Tx to charge, but I am sure your question is answered in the instr. sheet!

Always stop flying when the heli starts to come down at Tx full throttle position! Allow 5 -10 min for heli LIPO to cool (very important!!!!), then immediately recharge at least 15 min (never leave "empty" > KILLS LIPO!!).

From descent/"empty" state, takes 50 - 70 min to fully recharge (depends on individual charger).

The tiny red LED that flashes on the PCB, then goes steady, indicates the status of being frequency-locked ("binding") with Tx. Takes around 5 sec.

good luck!,
Lee
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
G.T. Model 5888 Blue 4 Channel Heli Unboxing and First Flight

I just got two G.T. Model 5888 4 Channel Heli's today, I like them!

Here is the unboxing video
Unboxing Video

Here is the first flight video... straight out of the box, put in the batteries in the transmitter... no trim adjustments and first flight...it flew right out of the box!
First Flight
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Last edited by dwholler; Nov 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:07 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler View Post
I just got two G.T. Model 5888 4 Channel Heli's today, I like them!

Here is the unboxing video
Unboxing Video

Here is the first flight video... straight out of the box, put in the batteries in the transmitter... no trim adjustments and first flight...it flew right out of the box!
First Flight
It looks and sounds good, please keep us informed with your progress
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:05 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,989 Posts
Note the "pro" Chinese 5888 videos (and my "birthday party" vid) on YouTube >
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324531

Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Here are some shots of the 5888 with the cowl off.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Yeah I just got mine last week...Flew great for a bit. But then it developed a "scream" in one of the motors and refused to fly after that. Talked with xlcrlee Because clearly he is the GO TO guy for this and another G.T. model. After a discussion with him we came to the conclusion that the motor was faulty. So now do I save a few bucks and order new motors and hope I can find a decent iron, flux, and ROHS solder? or Do I send it back for another brand new one? I think I want the new one. But before the issue it was pretty sweet. And flew darn good considering the operator had only destroyed his wallet purchasing Air Pigs.
Jaxom is offline Find More Posts by Jaxom
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:13 AM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Well I think if you got a screaming/screeching motor, I agree its probably a bad motor. Shouldn't be all that hard to replace. If you are seriously in this hobby, you probably should own a soldering iron.

I took a quick look on ebay and there are replacement motors available.

Also note, I think someone mentioned this before, but the blade holder screws on these seem to loosen after a few flights, and they must be re-tightened. If you leave them too loose that changes the pitch of the blade, increases it. This would cause more strain on the motor and could burn it up.

Good luck with the fix, if you decide to go that route or just buy another.

I have about 10 flights on one of mine, and it seems to be fine so far. I took it out tonight and flew it in the dark, the lights make it easy to keep orientation.

I hope to have a night video posted soon.
Last edited by dwholler; Nov 21, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:46 PM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
5888 Night Operations.

Night operations, a little tough with a breeze

Night Operations Video
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Yeah One would think I should own a soldering iron that was decent.... if I am going to enjoy this hobby. I have Batteries, CA glue and a knock-off dremel with all kinds of attachments. but no decent solder station. The odd part is I soldered and reworked on SMT PCB for a little while (18 Months) and still haven't purchsed one....Soon maybe? Anyone have one for sale? A soldering station? Also need to find a decent and cheap small electric small scale and some calipers to measure stuff.
Jaxom is offline Find More Posts by Jaxom
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:20 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Are you thinking of getting a station so you can vary the beat of the iron?

This can be done on the cheap by taking a single or double extention cable and fitting a standard dimmer switch in the LIVE wire, so long as the dimmer has a high enough wattage for the iron it should be fine, I've got a dimmer switch and 12V dimmable transformer running my hot wire cutter, take a look at www.instructables.com for the best info on DIY iron temp control.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83