HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Can someone help... I've had my mini flier 5888 for a long while but decided yesterday to get it out again. There seems to be an issue with the tail rotor. The helicopter body keeps rotating no matter how much I trim it. As a result I can't get the damn thing to lift. Anyone experienced this???
RCgirl85 is offline Find More Posts by RCgirl85
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,068 Posts
Check the pinions of the two motors, sometimes one or both can slip out of joint w/ the main gear.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:07 AM
dvb
Joined Apr 2008
1 Posts
motor gears

Can anyone tell me the parameters of motor gears? What is the modulus? 0.3?

The thing is, that one of the gears cracked along the shaft and doesn't follow the main gear anymore.
dvb is offline Find More Posts by dvb
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:05 PM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
188 Posts
Can someone please tell me how the USB charging lead which comes with this heli is supposed to work. Reason for question: I hear that leaving the battery on-charge too long will cause frying of said battery - will it? When I plug the charger in I see a red led in the USB plug . . . will this light go-out to let me know when the battery's fully charged? I daren't leave it connected to see what happens in case I let the smoke out of the battery, hence I wonder if I'm not using the battery to its full potential. Thanks, Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:05 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
Can someone please tell me how the USB charging lead which comes with this heli is supposed to work. Reason for question: I hear that leaving the battery on-charge too long will cause frying of said battery - will it? When I plug the charger in I see a red led in the USB plug . . . will this light go-out to let me know when the battery's fully charged? I daren't leave it connected to see what happens in case I let the smoke out of the battery, hence I wonder if I'm not using the battery to its full potential. Thanks, Tony
I NEVER use a USB connecter, rather the supplied wall-chargers. A new LIPO will take about 85 minutes for a full charge, starting from just before the auto low-voltage cutoff shuts the heli off. That critical point is after flying for some minutes, as the heli doesn't want to lift from ground effect, when starting the stilled rotors, as they just begin to get sluggish. A few seconds of run-time after that the low-voltage cuttoff shuts it down.

When the LIPO gets down to 85% capacity after long use, change it.

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:40 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
188 Posts
Thanks for this Lee. I didn't get a wall-charger with the heli so I have to use the USB lead (don't see the point of using the TX lead due to unnecessary shortening the working life of the TX batteries). Seeing as you say it takes 85 mins to charge using your wall charger, I'm taking a chance and re-charging the heli's battery again (I already charged it for 40 mins previously). If the USB light 'goes out' I'll assume the battery is fully charged and the charger has turned itself off . . . unless anyone tells me this is wrong

Tony
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
188 Posts
Update: I tried charging for another 30 minutes and the battery has now ceased to function. The USB's led was still illuminated at the end of the charging session, so I presume that the led indicates nothing more than the USB plug is connected to the PC. Tony
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:56 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Update: I tried charging for another 30 minutes and the battery has now ceased to function. The USB's led was still illuminated at the end of the charging session, so I presume that the led indicates nothing more than the USB plug is connected to the PC. Tony
The supplied wall chargers are foolproof and give years of LIPO life!

Lee

b.t.w., if you keep your fingers on a charging LIPO, or at the ready, and constantly check, before the LIPO goes bad it will get warmer than room or body temp.: STOP then!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:38 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
188 Posts
Neither of my 5888's came with a wall charger :-(
Tony
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:09 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Neither of my 5888's came with a wall charger :-(
Tony
I mention this to inform others as well >

I consider any vendor that supplies only USB connectors instead of "real" chargers as kind of cheating the customer, basically saving money for the vendor by cheapening the product. The USB-charging idea is not only dangerous for the R/C LIPOs, but is not wonderful for the computer's LIPO as well.

One reason I have purchased so many of these 5888s is because of the very nice wall-chargers. Of course the factory wants to maximize its sales, and if a particular vendor insists on no real charger with the item, the factory will comply.

Thus I will never buy any R/C product that does not come with a proper charger, as it also indicates a vendor that does not properly respect either the customer OR the product itself!

But parts are available, as per these quick examples:

http://www.goldenhobby.com/gt5888022...art-p-728.html

http://www.rchelicopter7.com/024-cha...ts-p-1150.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

Lee
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:29 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,508 Posts
update re: tip-play

just a note:

ALL of my 5888s are going GREAT!! Sometimes they require re-tweaking or re--building a servo, or a new mottor or two ....

I have been finding and continually re-confirming that they perform better, with higher performance and longer flights when the rotor "tip-play" is minimized to ~1.5mm lower and ~2+mm upper, as opposed to my earlier posts.

IMHO, after intensive adjustment & tuning, these are the BEST flying, most realistic behaving, most stable tiny coax's around, at any price .... AND as fast as any SR in the small space of my livingroom!!

Lee
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:42 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,508 Posts
forgot to mention >

> the above assumes very free mechanics, with almost NO difference between hand turning rotors with or without pinions engaged! And that BOTH rotors keep spinning when power is cut off on landing!!

This requires careful gear adjustment and sometimes change or replacement: the main gears, pinions and motor/gear-shaft holding central plastic piece all vary greatly, and have to be very carefully matched!

Lee
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
5888 sudden death

Hi lee!

I took my 5888 out of the box and used it a couple of times after being stored for a while. It flew quite well, still needs adjustments so I read the tracking procedure you posted here. This morning I turned it on and it doesn't do anything. The green light is on but no motor spin and no servo movement at all! Is there anything I can test? It was fully charged on friday when I used it, but to verify I connected it to the charger and the light turned on for a few seconds.
Please HELP!!
diegogonz76 is offline Find More Posts by diegogonz76
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegogonz76 View Post
Hi lee!

I took my 5888 out of the box and used it a couple of times after being stored for a while. It flew quite well, still needs adjustments so I read the tracking procedure you posted here. This morning I turned it on and it doesn't do anything. The green light is on but no motor spin and no servo movement at all! Is there anything I can test? It was fully charged on friday when I used it, but to verify I connected it to the charger and the light turned on for a few seconds.
Please HELP!!
I don't know how, but it reacted now! Still may be something I could check so this wont happen again!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Some pictures

Hi Lee, the binding problem goes on. Sometimes I have to turn the heli and Tx on and off several times, but it binds eventually. I took some pictures because I am trying to track the blades. I could improve the tracking but still needs work. I noticed that the lower blades are not parallel to the upper blades. Perhaps this is normal. When I fly the heli I notice that it goes very fast to the sides, but forward movement is very slower. Sometimes it seems to go faster, but I can't see what's different those times. Anoter thing is that the servo movement is not smooth, I tried to make a video but the camera is not very good. Well, I think this is all for now.