HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mike
United States, TX, Dickinson
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
Why do you guys order spare parts from China? I can get this heli at Frys for $44 - and got spare everything, plus 2 spare blade sets!
mmatheny is offline Find More Posts by mmatheny
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
Mike
United States, TX, Dickinson
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
Understood. My 5888 is fine. Perfectly stable on stock transmitter. it is unstable when bound to 9x
How do you bind it to a 9x?

Nevermind - I thought this was a Futaba they were talking about. I tried to bind it to my FrSky TX but couldn't.
mmatheny is offline Find More Posts by mmatheny
Last edited by mmatheny; Jun 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
tips >

start HERE > Posts #800 & 626

then #644-5, 684, 711, 767, 793, 836, 854

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
easy L/R macro trim trick

When observing the spinning lower rotor disc [heli in my hand] of a flight-trimmed 5888, I noticed that the swashplate was inputting a lot of left trim > blades had much more pitch on the right side. So to increase efficiency, I simply opened the canopy and slid the LIPO to the left. Then the lower rotor disc was L/R-even when the heli was flt-trimmed.

[this is NOT a brilliant new concept > I knew a Bell Jet Ranger pilot who used to fly from Reno back to Seattle with the heli trimmed at flight speed .... making corrective adjustments merely by shifting in his seat!!]
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:02 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
Excelsior

I have a "character-defect" insofar as I like to continually improve things (and not "leave 'well enough' alone"). Of the four 5888s I have out (another 4 in storage: ALL 8 tuned to perfection), there is one with the abnormally large servo-throw I've been using as a challenge to hone my piloting skills [it flies on LOW-rate -- which I am not using -- like an OOTB one on high-rate]. It would easily over-control and spectacularly de-stabilize!

Now, after two double motor-changes, two LIPO changes, two new servos (still with its 'unique' PCB-driven double-rate! : cheap micro-components) and several complete blade-change experiments .... I have finally found its perfect set-up >

The blades I'm now using are medium-soft, with the lower blades only very slightly stiffer, and the alu hub hinge-plates allowing 3.5mm upper/ 2.5mm lower "tip-play" at flt.-RPM, force the upper surfaces of the blades (spinning rotor discs) into visually 3 - 5 negative coning angles ("anhedral"). HOWEVER, the mean chord lines are neutral and the slightly upturned tips result in micro-positive coning angles [ = micro-unstable: remember, positive coning angles provide INstability in a helicopter!, hence the large & heavy flybar used!].

.... and now I can almost thoughtlessly horse this monster around with no fear. It flies very realistically, much like an aerobatic Lynx, except for loops & rolls of course > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Lynx

Being able to dramatically move around its powerful lift vector with an easy touch allows beautifully fast & tightly agile maneuvers, like a skilled top-level ice skater ....!

Well Enough is not Good Enough (for me)

L

note: this is within the context of a solid and realistically non-twitchy heli ....
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
NOT a particularly smart idea >

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
.... I also removed the tailboom brace bars that do not seem to have any function other than to add weight.
I have recently noticed that about 10, almost ALL of the customer-destroyed 5888's I've gotten from Marcel to use for parts, have tailbooms drastically or slightly bent, starting exactly at or behind the rear tailboom strut brace. THAT means that these brace-wires do in fact have a very useful and necessary function (unless one NEVER makes a bad landing or bounces one).

Lee
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,277 Posts
Those who break tailbooms must be flying the heli much more aggressively than I do.I only do mellow flying like this.
red 5888 indoor (0 min 41 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
agreed

Or inexperienced or stupid.

As strange as it may seem, most buyers of toy R/C helis are not even aware of RCGroups, much less read it or use it ....

L

If I get a chance, during a coming video-shoot of my {feathered, warm-bloodedlittle and very clever) bird, I will be able
to show how really "fast & furious" I normally fly my super-tuned 5888s (and DO NOT bend tailbooms)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,277 Posts
Looking forward to your video. I want to see a close up shot of the running rotors, so I know what it's supposed to look like. (I've read all your tips, but nothing beats a video.)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Looking forward to your video. I want to see a close up shot of the running rotors, so I know what it's supposed to look like. (I've read all your tips, but nothing beats a video.)
First part filmed last week, finish + edit in some weeks. Helis are in vid, but this amazing bird is the feature/focus.

You won't "get" much, anyway, only coning angles which necessarily must vary w/each heli set-up!

More positve = more sensitive, less stable, more control response

More flat = less sensitive, more stable.

Look at my "5888 at Birthday Party" YouTube video to get an aida of typical correct (not factory-shipped]) coning angles

Some 5888s have more, some less, servo throw (due to cheap PCB components, low QC). Compensate w/ coning angles (upper should always have a tiny bit more than to prevent oscillation in fast flight!) & (hairdrier heat) bend swashplate arms (more vertical = shorter effective moment arm, more swashplate movement). Up to user's taste.

Invisible in video, but most critical, is perfect blade-tracking [leading AND trailing edges RAZOR sharp when viewing spinning rotor-discs edge-on];
no-resistance gear selection and adjustment, lube, etc.

When tracking is perfect, sound & speed suddenly change, like Starship Enterprise going into warp ....!

And once perfect, blades tend to self-adjust!

Lee
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:30 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
typical CORRECT coning angles

tiny G.T. Model 4-ch 2.4G heli at birthday party (1 min 42 sec)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Plastic blade hinges

Hi Lee, I've been reading this thread (up to page 41) and I decided to buy this helicopter for my son, mostly for your comments. I have a problem with tracking and my blade hinges are made of plastic, the hole thing, not just the middle part. And the lower hinge has a plastic cylinder thart holds the blade in place even without the screw. The problem is that this cylinder is not allowing me to reduce the conning angle below 6 mm. I was wondering if there is a method for bending/twisting/adjusting this kind of hinges (hope is not in page 42). Also the lower big gear is not perfectly horizontal. I assume the only way to correct this is heating and bending it. I find it hard to see where to apply heat only to that gear.
English is not my native language so I hope I made myself clear. Thanls for all the things I've learned reading this thread!!

Found a page where you can see the blade hinges and the balance bar that also seems different:
http://www.feala.com/QS5888-GT-model...pare-Parts.htm

Also found this set, perhaps I can buy it and replace the whole ting. I wonder if it fits in my 5888.
http://www.goldenhobby.com/G-T-5888-...are-p-714.html
diegogonz76 is offline Find More Posts by diegogonz76
Last edited by diegogonz76; Jul 31, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
I contacted the seller and he told me that new 5888 comes with plastic hinges. Also there are no swashes in the screw that holds the blade. I think I will wait for your advise.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:33 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,997 Posts
Don't buy them

With the plastic hinges. I no longer recommend this item!!

Lee
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
I thought so. I bought a set of old hinges from toptoyexpress. Also trying to get a free lower gear from the seller because mine is bent. If I have to bend the lower gear should I disassemble something? What could be a good replacement for the washers in the blades?