SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:42 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
I am so frustrated.... i just lost one of the blade bushings that goes through the hole of the blade... so angry... where do i find a replacement?
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:39 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
whoops ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
I am so frustrated.... i just lost one of the blade bushings that goes through the hole of the blade... so angry... where do i find a replacement?
You DON'T: they are not shipped with any of the replacement parts [so far].

These tiny things easily fall out. What I do when I first remove a blade is to carefully catch the bearing-bushing and put it aside. Then I take a toothpick and use it to put a tiny amount of CA gel into the blade hole, rubbing it around the inside of the hole with the toothpick. Then I take another not-CA'd toothpick to force the bushing through the hole, scraping away with a pair of fine nail scissors if too much CA gel got in. I do what is necessary until the bushing stays in on its own and does not fall out if the end of the blade is whacked down against smtg. That is, the bushing should NOT be tightly stuck in, because it has to be able to slightly move .... BUT it should not fall out with normal handling. This whole process takes a few minutes, less than having to search everywhere for a fallen-out bushing!

REPLACEMENT
: find or buy a brass tube [hobby store] with the correct O.D. to fit in the blade hole, open it as necessary to fit the blade bolt and use a sharp razor-knife to roll-cut a new bushing!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Thanks Lee,

After much searching, my girlfriend and I were able to find the damn little thing. It got stuck between some fibers in the carpet. I tore apart the whole living room in the process, after discovering that there was no easy way to buy a new one.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:23 AM
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
Cool!

What would be great is if someone can find out how to bind a 5888 Tx to another 5888 Rx [not the pair as shipped together & factory-bound] ....

L
This isn't possible!!??? That is very odd. Considering I've bound my 5888 remote to all 3 of my 9958s.

Doesn't work!?

I will say - my 5888 was an awesome bird for 3 flights - then it died. The one servo doesn't respond. I should search the thread to see if there's a fix or if common.
jonnyrockets is offline Find More Posts by jonnyrockets
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:38 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyrockets View Post
This isn't possible!!??? [Not for me, tried w/ MANY 5888s!] That is very odd. Considering I've bound my 5888 remote to all 3 of my 9958s.

Doesn't work!?

I will say - my 5888 was an awesome bird for 3 flights - then it died. The one servo doesn't respond. I should search the thread to see if there's a fix or if common.
Check to see if the servo is mechanically "locked" and loosen by first putting a micro amount of quality model RR lube on the main vertcal bolt-shaft and on the lower gear. Then, with Rx/Tx OFF, use a pointed wooden toothpick to turn the lower gear and wind the plastic piece moving the pushrod up or down so that it is in the same "middle" position as the other servo. Try RC: if there is some movement, repeat the process as necessary until your servo moves freely.

If not .... and if you read some voltage going into the servo motor [else the PCB is shot!], there are replacement servos available, same for either side (L = R).

Lee
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:46 PM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Hey Lee,

On the same note of potentially messed up servos... mine appear to have at least 2-3 mm travel before the gears stop movement. There is a small piece of white plastic just before the upper tip of the metal shaft. there seems to be a gap between the small plastic thing and the servo housing. Is there anyway to tighten up the slack in these servos?

Also, there is constant motion and noise (which in my opinion is excessive) coming from at least one linear servo while the heli is at rest. Is this normal?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:42 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
There is a small piece of white plastic just before the upper tip of the metal shaft. there seems to be a gap between the small plastic thing and the servo housing. Is there anyway to tighten up the slack in these servos?
I had exactly the same! Genty pull the pushrod upwards while pushing the white stopper down till it meets the plastic servo housing. Not too tight of course....

Then I put a small drop of loctite on top to secure it. It works. The slop is gone.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:57 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
I had exactly the same! Genty pull the pushrod upwards while pushing the white stopper down till it meets the plastic servo housing. Not too tight of course....

Then I put a small drop of loctite on top to secure it. It works. The slop is gone.
Just be very careful to push the white "stopper" piece exactly vertically down. I messed up one servo by accidentally bending the very thin cheap soft-metal shaft .... and I could never get it to work correctly again [luckily I have several replacement servos from Marcel's almost-new user-damaged returns]. However, note that the slop seems to have no real effect on actual servo throw, even though one would expect it to have.

Lee
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:00 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
Quote:
.... there is constant motion and noise (which in my opinion is excessive) coming from at least one linear servo while the heli is at rest. Is this normal?
It is NOT "normal" [actually it's common, but should be corrected!].

Something is binding in the system, so lube everything until the "buzzing" stops!

L
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:34 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
I have a new 5-weeks old baby bird, now learning to fly well. Since I also helped feed him from birth, and perhaps from watching & feeling his parents' reaction to my 5888s, he is very comfortable with me zooming one around the room, sometimes close to him! Of course I let an unpowered slowing-down blade harmlessly whack him a time or two so that he "got" that the blades are harder than birds' wings or feathers!

He is not stupid and has already started to imitate the 5888 sounds!

Precisely because these [as I've adjusted them!] are SO controllable and fast and agile [compared to the entry-level S107-types, etc.], I find them wonderful for teaching flight commands like "Come!", "Go, Go!", "up", "down", "left" and "right".

OK, Kiki [the bird] can't fly backwards, but he can almost hover briefly ..... and he does enjoy watching it. Luckily he has not yet found out his wild & crazy mother's trick of knocking one down with a powerful downdraft from a close high-speed overflight pass!

Lee
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:14 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Show us a video!
As it's related to the 5888 it's very on-topic .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:47 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
Don't have an electronic camera here, nor a normal camera nor even any way to upload (have to use a public Internet place now, with NO provisions to upload)!

However, as this is an ongoing thing, first chance I get, I will.

Here is a vid of my flying a 5888 (when I was first learning) >

tiny G.T. Model 4-ch 2.4G heli at birthday party (1 min 42 sec)

..... and a previously stored pic of one of my birds ....

Just put the two together for now
Last edited by xlcrlee; Nov 08, 2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:15 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
Has everyone killed their 5888s, or given up on them?

Mine are still all going great! And Marcel has a used one waiting for me with 2 white motors [the best!] that only needs a new LIPO. For less than his cost! I actually still have several new LIPOs I bought as spares, but they seem to rarely have to be changed .... they just go & go like the cute Eveready toy rabbit [cute toy, EVIL company > India & USA mass poisonings,etc.].

L

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:13 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
off-topic update

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
I have a new 5-weeks old baby bird, now learning to fly well. Since I also helped feed him from birth, and perhaps from watching & feeling his parents' reaction to my 5888s, he is very comfortable with me zooming one around the room, sometimes close to him! Of course I let an unpowered slowing-down blade harmlessly whack him a time or two so that he "got" that the blades are harder than birds' wings or feathers!

He is not stupid and has already started to imitate the 5888 sounds!

Precisely because these [as I've adjusted them!] are SO controllable and fast and agile [compared to the entry-level S107-types, etc.], I find them wonderful for teaching flight commands like "Come!", "Go, Go!", "up", "down", "left" and "right".

OK, Kiki [the bird] can't fly backwards, but he can almost hover briefly ..... and he does enjoy watching it. Luckily he has not yet found out his wild & crazy mother's trick of knocking one down with a powerful downdraft from a close high-speed overflight pass!

Lee
Well, I seem to have finally convinced him NOT to fight with the helis! He was getting a bit too instinctively "Macho", but "Discretion IS the better part of valor!".

OK, he did buzz one of my Silverlit TandemZ-1s while it was in the air, but hopefully he's now happy to only watch them. More safe, MUCH more safe, he now flies around with a special indoor thin-foam super lightweight plane with highly cambered wings and cambered balsa blades. And, even more fun for BOTH of us, he flies in close formation with a thread-tethered Budgie-looking green, yellow & blue paper "bird" airplane I made. I can control its flight, and we link up as he flies closely behind or outboard or inboard of it. If he starts to circle in the wrong direction, he's figured out to reverse his circle and join up. AND he's learned (the almost VERY hard way) to avoid the yellow thread!

Depending on what happens in flight, he'll continue to spiral inward along the tether-thread radius and land on my hand, or zoom off, land and rest. He's still a baby, so his feathers and flying ability are not yet fully developed and he tires.

Nonetheless, he still LOVES the 5888 action, but has now decided to focus on the Tx, landing on it and trying to do what I'm doing (he does the same thing with my mobile phone, trying to push the keys, very funny but annoying as I SMS .... and he can't even spell!). Like his very smart mother, Star, he identifies more with humans than animals & objects > one day when I took her for a mtn-bike ride in a special Transport Box [she's wild & crazy, and I don't trust HER outside], a woman was feeding some gulls, throwing pieces of bread up for them to catch "on the wing". Then the woman put a piece of bread in the box for Star. Star immediately ripped the bread into little pieces and started threowing them upwards, identifying with and copying the woman, obviously ALSO wanting to feed/play with the gulls!

L

bird trainer, much lighter & thus "safer" than normal COAXs >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11B_gFHzba4
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:39 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,556 Posts
UPDATE to off-topic update

Well, i was clearly in error: young Kiki had not learned to keep distant from a 5888. Or at least he thought he'd found an exception to the rule.

Today he was perched well up & away, happily watching, whistling and making heli noises as I zoomed one around. Then he flew down to the top of his sleeping-cage .... for safety, I thought.

WRONG! As I landed the 5888, he obviously thought he'd attack it while it was grounded. With the powered blades still whizzing, he suddenly launched at it (he'd previously safely landed on the WHITE tail of the special rubberband livingroom airplane as I was electro-winding it [note: whining motor sound of winder!]). Of course I immediately cut power totally as he unexpectedly POUNCED on the spinning white rotors. There was a momentary tangle of bird & heli, followed by the now instantly-off heli on its side and him slightly "crying" with a hurt leg or foot.

Luckily there was only some pain involved but no obvious internal or external damage to his leg or foot -- which would have been really bad for a thin-boned bird! -- and he can grab equally strongly with both feet. But he held it up as he slept later, so it's a bit sore still > a good reminder, I hope!

And I learned to be more alert to further stupidity on the part of both of us ....

Anyway, so far, so good. On the next 5888 flight, he took off from his high perch and flew down to attack some of his own toys!

sublimation:[Psychology] to divert the energy of an impulse from its immediate goal to one of a more acceptable use.

L