HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Arundel
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Help!!!

Help!! PLEASE. Been waiting for this heli to arrive for ages - just un-packed it, charged it and tried to fly it. As it lifts off the whole heli tips forwards and to the right and then just lays on it's side.
Also, I switch on the heli, wait for 10 seconds then switch on the tx which emits a constant slow beep with the tx red lightr flashing in time to it.
Am I doing something supidly wrong or have I taken delivery of a bad one? I don't want to start fiddling with it if I'm going to have to send it back.
SO VERY frustrating - been following this thread for ages and waited for ever for heli to arrive and now I can't fly it. HELP PLEASE

Thanks in advance
LeChef (Tony)
LeChef is offline Find More Posts by LeChef
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:20 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the instructions with me now. I urge you to carefully read the instructions. ALL the instructions! And also note that it reads that this is not a "general toy"!

As best I recall, a flashing red Tx LED means low battery, and that the Tx emits a pulsing "beep" LOW BATTTERY alarm. This item will ONLY work with fresh alkalines (NOT NiCad, NiMH or other rechargeable types).

Once you have sorted this out, follow the rest of the instructions to trim-out the heli so that it will hover.

Note:
1. one can turn on the Rx immediately after the Tx.
2. so soon as the heli strarts to flop, one needs to IMMEDIATELY reduce throttle to ZERO to avoid killing the heli, since there is NO auto-crash cutoff or other protection!
..... and since yours was likely rotating with NO Tx, it may be already "dead* [but first try correct NEW fresh alkalines]

Good Luck,
Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Many thanks for your quick response Lee.

This is a straight out of the box heli so I'm using NEW everything. Sorted the TX problem out by rolling the batteries around in the holders.
Have tried to trim out as per the instructions although the "beep" from the aileron trim is intermittent, and also tried adjusting the link rod as suggested but to no avail.

I have just noticed a quite substantial wobble and lower rotor lag of 14 seconds when spooling up slowly. Is this normal.

Sorry to be such a pain but having read your threads and applied many of your ideas to my 3 ch fleet I figured if anyone could help it would be you.
This was supposed to be my poor weather heli fix now that it's too windy to fly my Honey Bee King II Carbon outside.
Thanks again
Tony
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
If you "enlarge" the photo in the following link and read the product label you will note the word "platic" and compatible, so my best guess is that it is likely also PLASTIC compatible [wink] >

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=ATL190

L
O well, this "lubricant" may work for something else beside "RC heli".
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
What are the dimensions of the 5888 motors? Diameter, length, exposed shaft length, shaft diameter, mounting hole distance and size etc...

If someone could provide me with that info I would really appreciate it!
you will get your 5888 soon, size does not matter (as you know), just make sure to lubricate first... /per Mr.Lee/ LOL.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:36 AM
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChef View Post
Many thanks for your quick response Lee.

This is a straight out of the box heli so I'm using NEW everything. Sorted the TX problem out by rolling the batteries around in the holders.
Have tried to trim out as per the instructions although the "beep" from the aileron trim is intermittent, and also tried adjusting the link rod as suggested but to no avail.

I have just noticed a quite substantial wobble and lower rotor lag of 14 seconds when spooling up slowly. Is this normal.

Sorry to be such a pain but having read your threads and applied many of your ideas to my 3 ch fleet I figured if anyone could help it would be you.
This was supposed to be my poor weather heli fix now that it's too windy to fly my Honey Bee King II Carbon outside.
Thanks again
Tony
EDIT: Sorry that should read 1.4 second lag
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:22 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChef View Post
.....I have just noticed a quite substantial wobble and lower rotor lag of 14 seconds when spooling up slowly. Is this normal?
Tony
The wobble is "normal" for 90% of these in my experience. It is also VERY bad!! You need to "upgrade" your heli by eliminating the wobble, using the tips in my (too!) many posts to lube heli, adjust gear contact (slide pinions up/down), balance and track the rotors as best you can:

razor-sharp appearance of seemingly SINGLE leading edge of spinning rotor disc for both rotors adds up to 40% performance for an adjusted & lubed heli!

Have Fun!,
Lee
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Thanks again for the quick reply Lee.

I've sent a video clip of what it's doing to the seller - they agree that it's a faulty heli and are sending a replacement.

Excellent service from them but it means I have to wait for it to arrive ALL OVER AGAIN.

My thumbs are getting itchy I've had to resort to flying my Alloy Shark for now. (Anything will do, I can't go a whole day without flying something !!!)

Tony
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:41 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
I've not realy flown anything properly in months as time has been short and it's been driving me mad!

Now I have to really pack them up as we are moving in 22 days time, bonus is that I will habe an attic space for all my repairs and experiments

It looks like it will be a month or two till I can pick up some CA gell and mix my slipping pinnion, I have lost/damaged so much airframe/tail boom that i will be stripping it as much as possible to carry a 5 gram wireless camera, I'll do posts on progress etc when I get setup again.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:33 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Can anyone take off all the LED lights, canopy, metal bling, landing gear etc... and give me an idea of the weight reduction. There is a good chance that i will be putting 15 grams of equipment on this heli, and therefore need to reduce the weight as much as possible.

It would be awesome if someone could do a weight break down of everything that can be removed without impacting the performance of the heli. Don't worry about center of gravity, my equipment will fix that aspect.
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
I am also looking to find out if the charger that is supplied with the heli can charge other small lipos, or is there a protection circuit on the battery itself that controls how the charging goes.

I read somewhere that someone tried using an unprotected battery of higher mAH with the stock charger and that the battery almost blew up... can anyone confirm?
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:35 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
weighty problem ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
Can anyone take off all the LED lights, canopy, metal bling, landing gear etc... and give me an idea of the weight reduction. There is a good chance that i will be putting 15 grams of equipment on this heli, and therefore need to reduce the weight as much as possible.

It would be awesome if someone could do a weight break down of everything that can be removed without impacting the performance of the heli. Don't worry about center of gravity, my equipment will fix that aspect.
I have MANY disassembled 5888s [from user-broken ones I got from Marcel], and I promise that you will only lose ca. 10% of the total 47g weight by doing as you propose (unfortunately the parts are at home, but weigh order-of-magnitude the same as the 5888 LIPO). For the record, the major weight is the PCB, motors and rotor-system, each of which weigh about the same. A typical 180 mAh LIPO weighs 13g w/o wires, so figure 14g.

14 x 3 = 42, plus the 5g I estimate you remove is 47g!

That is of course only an estimate, but I guess not too far off ....

Lee

Why don't you just buy one, take it apart and see for yourself?
note: once the LED wires are removed from the PCB they can only be properly & safely re-attached by a very skilled professional, else the delicate PCB is likely to be ruined, as those wires are next to some VERY heat-sensitve chips [ask me how I know ....]
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
5.65g 180mAH: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=293657
4.7g 180mAH: http://overskyrc.com/index.php?gOo=g...7&productname=
4.3g 160mAH: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10980
4.5g 160mAH: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11893
6.5g 220mAH: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...220mAh%5F.html

I think yoa 5888 a week ago and have just been waiting for shipping. I am trying to decide if i will have to buy lighter FPV equipment at the sacrifice of video quality and range, or if i can strip enough excess weight to compensate.

current equipment on order:
transmitter = 2.2g
138mAH battery = 4g
camera (ugh...) = 8g

Anyone have any weights for the metal bling parts?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
it's YOUR experiment >

Dear caall99:

You are welcome to find out if those LIPOs you found will not somehow fry the very cheap PCB components in this heli. I go with what I know works, except to experiment, in which case I prepare for multiple tries (meaning in this case, more than one 5888 with which to experiment).

Nonetheless, since I am so nice I weighed for you the minimum req. for what we know will get a 5888 to fly >

The plastic frame, skid, inner & outer rotor shafts, assembled upper & lower rotor-blades & hubs, PCB, supplied 5888 LIPO [which has an overcharge protection mini-PCB, b.t.w.!], 2 motors + wires, 2 servos, plus all necessary links, screws & micro-bolts .....

weighs 39g

[41g incl. tailboom & fin, w/o 2 support wires]

Lee

NOTE: the 5888 will only stay up ca. ONE minute at full charge carrying 2g extra weight (meaning 49g total), and after a cooling period, progressively less!

Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:01 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
thanks lee, I think I may get away with it as my setup should only weigh about 4g with cam, tx and Lipo.

I'll post a link to the setup I'm looking at when I have more time.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83