HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:41 AM
Espaņa, Comunidad de Madrid, Madrid
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Hi...
I'm still waiting for the battery and the conector to start the job ... XD
I'm thinking in remove all alu parts that I can, the tail suport, the two alu parts of the chasis, cut this alu parts of the chasis and only use the necesary to support the skids..

Regards..
cosvel is offline Find More Posts by cosvel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Bought 2 of these, for wife & I to fly. Main reasoning was the 2.4 gHz.
We've tried them once. Hers flew fairly well, but mine just sits there & spins,
faster & faster, until it tips over. Going back to the good old, reliable S-107s.
Those babys fly right!
S107s are very simple and clearly designed for beginners and those not really interested in the details of how to get these toys to fly properly: i.e., though "toys", the 5888s are extremely technical and quite capable of "hobby-grade" performance ..... which of necessity often requires a true "hobbist" with skills or at least the interest in acquiring those skills.

Writing that one was watching a heli spin and fall over without futher detailed examination, description or investigation seems like the earmark of such an individual for whom a 3-ch heli like the S107 was intended. Enjoy whatever aircraft and sort of flying (with or without maintenance) you love. Fun for all ....!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:07 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
parts depot for 5888s

Maybe someone should start on online/email "parts collection" from dead or used-up 5888s. I get most of mine from ones that beginners have quickly crashed & returned to Marcel, my hobbyist-"dealer".in Zürich (he sells online too, as do several others here in CH). Anyway, by matching parts and serious, meticulous "tuning", these 5888s can get an effective power-boost of up to 40% .... FAR greater than the effect of any possible weight reduction. And maintaining such a high performance level from this quite cheaply produced item is a minor joy in life for me, anyway. OK, tearing up the livingroom air with one, flying like a pylon racer in fwd or rev, is even more fun, sure ....

Lee
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
There are other motors compatible with the 5888?
I think that now that I will put a 240mAh battery I can put a more powerfull motor.

Here is my little one two months ago ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsPDun9FpDs

By the way, the first thing that's broken was the B motor, than the second was the bearing of the swashplate, than studing the case i get the conclusion that the B motor broken up because of this bearing, be carefull with this bearing...

Regards...
Last edited by cosvel; Aug 27, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:23 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosvel View Post
There are other motors compatible with the 5888?
I think that now that I will put a 240mAh battery I can put a more powerful motor.
By the way, the first thing that's broken was the B motor, than the second was the bearing of the swashplate, than studing the case i get the conclusion that the B motor broken up because of this bearing, be carefull with this bearing...

Regards...
Interesting: I have never encountered a broken ball-bearing in ANY of these!

From the video and the heli response, it seems to be far from finely tuned & tracked. Otherwise it couid leap fwd & rev, and of course fly much faster, tipping as much as 20°. If one of mine has a limited servo throw (unalterable per se), it is possible to use a hairdrier (shield the rest of the heli!) to bend the arms of the swashplate almost vertical, thereby effectively shortening the moment-arm and increasing the swashplate tilt. Further, increasing the coning angle will destabilize the rotors and allow faster flight. As will tracking & tuning! Putting in larger LIPOs and motors will not so greatly improve performance, except for perhaps a few minutes before all the parts begin to wear out even more quickly than normal .....

B.t.w., flying over a hard surface, as shown in the above video, is a very good way to shorten the lifespan of almost any heli.

Good Luck in any case!,
Lee
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
United States, GA, Conyers
Joined Jun 2011
139 Posts
Not a bad video cosvel! I think Lee should get some more video of his though so we can see how well they perform. What you think cosvel?
The6uest is offline Find More Posts by The6uest
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
Best place to buy these now?

bob
steelgtr is online now Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
United States, GA, Conyers
Joined Jun 2011
139 Posts
I got mine from eBay because I couldn't find them elsewhere. Just search "5888 helicopter" and you'll find several of them.
The6uest is offline Find More Posts by The6uest
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Here... http://rjtoy.com/en/show.asp?id=626 ... there are a lot of spare parts too.

I don't bought the 240mAh to flight more time, just want to flight 5-6min, like aways, I think, in my humble opinion, that if a heli needs to rest 2min after 2:30min of flight to then flight other 2:30min that is a very bad helicopter.
My Solo Pro has flight 70-80 lipos and still flying like the first day, 5min each lipo without rest.

I neither wanna make him faster, to fly faster I have my Solo Pro, I just want to repair him, and that flight more than a week without broken. I repeat that I love him, but he just broke himself ¨alone¨, without crash, today flyes, and tomorow maybe don't, and again, and again... like I said before, in the very first flight just stop to move the B blades after 1min of flight and fell, and looking what hapen I find that the pinion just moves in the axis and loses contact with the gear.... it's not ¨normal¨ in the very first fly.

Regards, and sorry my pour english.

Some picks... disarming, soldering a new motor set, testing the new motors, and next to the Solo Pro.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:50 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
Not a bad video cosvel! I think Lee should get some more video of his though so we can see how well they perform. What you think cosvel?
Good idea: pls find me someone here in Zürich who has a camera, the time and means to upload it. Unfortunately all my friends with cameras are too busy, but I am more than open to fly for anyone you can set me up with!

Lee
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Broken ball bearing.

I may be too stupid to handle a 4 channel helicopter, (or maybe stupid not to expect that a "ready to fly" package would come to me requiring a complete overhaul, as well as a full battery of adjustments, before it could be of any use), but in any case, one of mine has a faulty ball bearing in the rotor system. (This is the helicopter that just sat on its skids & spun, until it tipped over). I have requested a replacement from the vendor, but I truly never expect to see it.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:30 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
cosvel: You have the newer, longer pinions. I much prefer the older ones. In any case, to get the best pinion to main gear fit you must slide the pionion up/down and sometines invert it. Most of the time I find the best fit (= least resistance with NO "clicking" when hand-rotated in reverse, w/heli inverted to simulate flight-load position) is when the top or bottom of the pinion is flush with the corresponding edge of the main gear (i.e., top to top, or bottom to bottom, w/ approx. flush edge plus a micro bit over the edge for "safety").

If the pinion itself is loose, a micro amount of CA gel will fix it (slide up/down, apply CA gel, then slide into position again).

Nonetheless, both the video and your written description indicates the likelihood that an untuned and unadjusted (cheap, remember?) heli has more or less worn itself out and "eaten" motors due to assymetrical forces, too much force required for one rotor/motor combo and vibration in general.

Did you note my posts noting that the lower rotor must have ca. 10% more pitch -- under flight load > rotors spinning fast enough to fly -- and about hiow to adjust pitches & coning angles mainly via "tip-play"? Or about using CA gel to "lock" the main blade bolts once perfectly adjusted?

I am guessing, not! So what do you expect from a cheap unadjusted toy? My only point is that while 10 -15% seem to be GREAT out of the box, with some patience and diligence probably ANY 5888 can be adusted into a wonderful non-self-destroying machine .... and kept that way.

B.t.w., I thread the replacement motor wires through the body, as does the factory assembly.. When I very first remove the canopy I put CA gel on all the wires coming out of the PCB and those soldered to the fwd LEDs. After hardening, I can then handle those wires w/o fear of breaking them off the PCB. Then when I replace a motor I CUT the motor wire about 3 cm from the PCB and after installing the motor wires properly through the body and using a thin cardboard sheild to protect the heli, esp. the LIPO!, I solder the wire ends. After testing that the motor functions in the heli (good connection) I insulate the splice with a small amount of CA gel and hairdrier heat to cure quickly.. Then I adjust the pinion, etc., and re-lube with (expensive) model-train lube (I use Roco, which is super!).

If you can afford it, you might consider putting your current 5888 aside to use for parts and buy another, THIS time being careful to follow my suggestions.

NOTE: those suggestions, tips and procedures I have posted throughout this thread are derived from my own experiences which parallel yours! So they were learned "the hard way" ..... but you can profit from them. They work! Results in cool, powerful and highly manueverable helis which last a LONG time.

Lee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Sep 01, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:39 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
I may be too stupid to handle a 4 channel helicopter, (or maybe stupid not to expect that a "ready to fly" package would come to me requiring a complete overhaul, as well as a full battery of adjustments, before it could be of any use), but in any case, one of mine has a faulty ball bearing in the rotor system. (This is the helicopter that just sat on its skids & spun, until it tipped over). I have requested a replacement from the vendor, but I truly never expect to see it.
Hmm .... try another dealer. Marcel has parts (his eMail is marcelhauser@bluewin.ch ).

Did your heli ever fly? Perhaps some excessive vibration killed the bearing?

Here is the factory > http://www.hongxintoys.com/english/lian.asp
Lee
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Hi there.
I understand your explanation, and certainly all this things works fine, but I don't wanna spend more time and money that I have spent on this model, the new batery will be the last euro that I will spend on he.
I can afford buy another one, or two, or three, but to buy a helicopter that need spent a lote of time to adjust him I buy a CP heli, don't tell me that is a normal thing the need of fix the pinon with a drop of epoxi after 1min out of the box, or that after install new motors in the second lipo one of them is dead, Gt-Model have a very very bad quality control.

Again I use the example of the Nine Eagles, out of the box is only charge the lipo and fly, and a month after buy it still flying like in the very first day, flying 2 or more lipos daily.

My conclusion is that 5888 worth the money that it cost, but is a helicopter to fly once a week, if you want a helicopter to fly daily buy another one.

Regards from Madrid.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:30 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
the instructions CLEARLY state that this is NOT a general toy ....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosvel View Post
Hi there.
I understand your explanation, and certainly all this things works fine, but I don't wanna spend more time and money that I have spent on this model, the new batery will be the last euro that I will spend on he.
I can afford buy another one, or two, or three, but to buy a helicopter that need spent a lote of time to adjust him I buy a CP heli, don't tell me that is a normal thing the need of fix the pinon with a drop of epoxi after 1min out of the box, or that after install new motors in the second lipo one of them is dead, Gt-Model have a very very bad quality control.

Again I use the example of the Nine Eagles, out of the box is only charge the lipo and fly, and a month after buy it still flying like in the very first day, flying 2 or more lipos daily.

My conclusion is that 5888 worth the money that it cost, but is a helicopter to fly once a week, if you want a helicopter to fly daily buy another one.

Regards from Madrid.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My finding is that after over one years' experience (that birthday party YouTube video was made almost a year ago, well before I really began to get the hang of these 5888s, and before I learned to REALLY speed them up and do tight banked turns, etc.), if one uses a certain amount of skill, care and understanding (common for hobbyists, but likely not for those who merely like to play with RTF toys and fly them in dangerous situations, like outdoors over concrete or otherwise paved surfaces) ..... this little heli, with user-helped "hobby-grade performance", can out-perform anything similar, and it costs me ca. 1/5th what I'd have to pay for a similar-sized Blade CP ("3-D" CP helis don't fly realistically enough for me: fullsize helis normally fly much closer to my enhanced 5888s; i.e., loops and inverted flight in my living room is not my thing, personally; further, my two intelligent birds are very happy with the performance level of my 5888s, which approaches their aerial dexterity, and they also don't do loops or fly inverted [I save that for my RC airplanes], and when the female occasionally decides she wants to knock it down with her downdraft, it is a safer, easier and cheaper situation with which to deal).

I currently have FIVE specially tuned & adjusted 5888s with hot performance (double or triple what you show in your nice video), with three of them in storage, and a 6th which I "brought back from the dead" (a wonderful and rewarding challenge for me!) which flies just a bit slower than the above "super five" and which can do nice (only!) 15° banked turns & figure-8's in my living room. Forward or reverse. I fly IT a lot to keep me and my other 5888's in top form. This weekend or next I expect a 7th from Marcel (I want it because it may be the last of those with the white left motors, which seem to perform better than the newer gray-topped ones [but the new gray ones are still OK]).

"There's more than one candybar ...", "different strokes", etc. If we were all the same with identical interests and abilities, not only would life be boring, and innovation greatly decreased, but we could all be killed by the same virus or bacteria.

Enjoy your life and the helis of your choice!

Lee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Sep 01, 2011 at 08:41 AM.