HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:40 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
i disagree, one should worry about lipos cause thats the first thing that will go if you don't take care of it... in addition to heat, discharging them too far will kill them and yes its cheap to replace but for most flyers its always better to avoid messing with soldering and screwing something else on those micro boards.
clap, applause, and like that!

GOOD ANSWER, scorp!

L
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:37 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
flipped out!

OK, actually, flipped in....!

Even though I should have known better, that obstacles will cause wind to create massive turbulece (as behind a large growth of trees or on the leeward side of large buildings and mountaintops, as well as just behind the lip of a slope-soaring ridge) .... I was having a merry time zooming around my newly unstabilized/speeded-up used ["previously owned"] 5888-B (above posts).

And i will admit to being tired with maybe slowed reflexes.

But there I was, careening this little heli about my livingroom with the window wide open on a VERY breezy day, with a very nice crossflow > suddenly the heli radically destabilized, and when I attempted to react to avoid total disaster, the thing did a complete forward somersault and flipped over a full 360 ... and then some!

In this quick passage of events, at that point, the heli having lost a bit of forward momentum with this wild act, I was able to get enough control to allow a rather imperfect skid landing, tipping over sideways, but since I'd instantly chopped power .... NO damage.

Just an amazed smile on my face. Followed by reducing a bit of the upper & lower rotor coning angles, closer to "stock", because I won't count on saving it in another forward flip!

Lee
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
OK, actually, flipped in....!

Even though I should have known better, that obstacles will cause wind to create massive turbulece (as behind a large growth of trees or on the leeward side of large buildings and mountaintops, as well as just behind the lip of a slope-soaring ridge) .... I was having a merry time zooming around my newly unstabilized/speeded-up used ["previously owned"] 5888-B (above posts).

And i will admit to being tired with maybe slowed reflexes.

But there I was, careening this little heli about my livingroom with the window wide open on a VERY breezy day, with a very nice crossflow > suddenly the heli radically destabilized, and when I attempted to react to avoid total disaster, the thing did a complete forward somersault and flipped over a full 360 ... and then some!

In this quick passage of events, at that point, the heli having lost a bit of forward momentum with this wild act, I was able to get enough control to allow a rather imperfect skid landing, tipping over sideways, but since I'd instantly chopped power .... NO damage.

Just an amazed smile on my face. Followed by reducing a bit of the upper & lower rotor coning angles, closer to "stock", because I won't count on saving it in another forward flip!

Lee
Nice :P heard my 5888 has arrived ! i'm going home tomorrow so tomorrow evening will be flight number one
jonas hove is offline Find More Posts by jonas hove
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
First impression is prety good ! i picked it out of the box , lubed it a bit were needed , removed the cannopy and diconnected the leds ( hate those annoying blinking things :P) and then i charged it .

Had a first flight and it seems to fly really well , tomorrow I'll test it a bit more intensive , I still need to get the hang of 4 ch controls

My first impression is that the battery performs really well i think , did seem to last a pretty long time , definentaly because it was the first run ...
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:43 AM
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
Had a few more flight today , and i do notice a problem.

when i fly forward It doesnt fly straight , it only flies straight if i pull te "forward stick" all the way in the right corner , If I just push it forward it flies to the left ....

tried starting it up with other stick positions and trimming but didn't solve anything so far , you guys now wath to do ?

btw : looked at wath servo's are doing when I just push it forwards and only one servo is working than , thats why it goes to the left , if i push the stick in the right forward position both servos work and it flies straight .

How to solve this ?

edit: It also seems to wobble a bit sometimes , like something is a bit bend (I did not crash it so far ) . Is it because of imperfect tracking ? tried to track the blade but i find it really difficult to adjust the height of the blades that arent tracking well , do i have to bend the alu holders to make it track properly ?
Last edited by jonas hove; Jun 11, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas hove View Post
Had a few more flight today , and i do notice a problem.

when i fly forward It doesnt fly straight , it only flies straight if i pull te "forward stick" all the way in the right corner , If I just push it forward it flies to the left ....

tried starting it up with other stick positions and trimming but didn't solve anything so far , you guys now wath to do ?

btw : looked at wath servo's are doing when I just push it forwards and only one servo is working than , thats why it goes to the left , if i push the stick in the right forward position both servos work and it flies straight .

How to solve this ?

edit: It also seems to wobble a bit sometimes , like something is a bit bend (I did not crash it so far ) . Is it because of imperfect tracking ? tried to track the blade but i find it really difficult to adjust the height of the blades that arent tracking well , do i have to bend the alu holders to make it track properly ?
Read and then re-read Post #626.

NOTE: the spinning upper rotor disc should appear ca 10& thinner than the lower! And it is impossible to find out, if the blades are not perfectly tracked, with a razor-SHARP white leading edge!

The control functions are correct!

If you want it to fly perfectly, you must adjust it perfectly. When you bend the alu holders .... do so only micro-amounts at a time! And you MUST remove the main large blade hinge bolts, or else you will quickly strip the threads in the soft alu!

Further, once you get it tracked & tuned (count on up to 2 hours work, if yours is behaving as badly as you write), use CA gel on the underside of the main blade bolts where they penetrate the lower alu plate. Else they will NOT hold a proper setting!

"Work, work .... "

Lee
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
Worked on tracking this afternoon , it's tsill not perfect when you look at it , but now it does flie really nice , no problems at all , a real pleasure to flie !

It flies +-6minutes wich isn't bad

will try to get perfect tracking next week , I'm having exams this week so i won't have a lot of time for the little helicopter :P

Flies way more fun than my 3ch ! (But it will be quite confusing if I flie both once and a while , controls are totally diffirent ...)

edit : And it flies straight now
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:47 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
My GT5888 is down pending some repairs but back when i was flying it with all my 3ch, I was to get confused with the cotriller differences between 3 & 4 channels, to get around it I used to try and ignor the 4th channel and only use it if I needed to side shift while avoiding and object or doorframe.

The 5888 is a good bit heavier than the S107 and the Sh6020, 5 mum timed flights are best to keep the LiPo happy.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here, also new to the RCGroup, bought a 5888 GT model and a lot of falls I started to fly it well, without dropping it anymore, but on my last attempt I kinda of crashed it on my room and it broke

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it, the "B" wing is having problems, since under it something went wrong, as you can see on the attached photos. I tried to push that thing with a screw inside the thing above it, tried to push it down... nothing is working, the screw wont enter inside that thing...

I browsed some pages of this topic trying to see some photos uploaded by you too compare with mine, but still didnt figure out.

Hope you guys can help me, thanks!
lrdx is offline Find More Posts by lrdx
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
I did some photo comparing and I did realize that the problem wasnt where I tought it was, actually the red marked tings on the photo that are really low. I removed the red and white cover and I can see that they are on the lowest as possible, and stuck there, they don't move if I use the controller, and also if I try to force them move. Any ideas on how to fix it? Please help!
lrdx is offline Find More Posts by lrdx
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:28 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdx View Post
I did some photo comparing and I did realize that the problem wasnt where I tought it was, actually the red marked tings on the photo that are really low. I removed the red and white cover and I can see that they are on the lowest as possible, and stuck there, they don't move if I use the controller, and also if I try to force them move. Any ideas on how to fix it? Please help!
Use a small pointed WOODEN round toothpick (or make the equiv.) and use it to rotate the large gears at the bottom of each white vertical servo, so that the white plasitic pieces that push the vertical pushrods up/down, get pushed/screwed upward (rotate the gears clockwise, viewed from above).

Then try the servo functions again. It may take 10 or more iterations of the above.

If nothing then happens and the servos remain inactive, although the servos are easily replaced by skilled hobbyists, it's very likely something in the PCB is fried by your mishandling of this NON-toy (see instr.!) helicopter .. and thus not repairable.

Best choice, if the servos remain dead, center the servos (using toothpick) and use this one learn to use the yaw functions. Then buy a new one (and of course try to be more careful how & where you fly it).

Lee
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
re: unwanted spinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas hove View Post
Worked on tracking this afternoon , it's tsill not perfect when you look at it , but now it does flie really nice , no problems at all , a real pleasure to flie !

It flies +-6minutes wich isn't bad

will try to get perfect tracking next week , I'm having exams this week so i won't have a lot of time for the little helicopter :P

Flies way more fun than my 3ch ! (But it will be quite confusing if I flie both once and a while , controls are totally diffirent ...)

edit : And it flies straight now
Cool!

I mentioned much earlier in this thread that there is another cause for excessive yaw in one direction, often stopped only by max Tx yaw-stick input >

.... a dying or defective motor!

This is indicated by the excessive yaw increasing & decreasing repeatedly during the flight (asuuming the main blade bolts are tight after adjustment [use CA gel]), with poor climbing ability with a freshly charged LIPO and shortened flt-time. It is caused by the delicate brushes breaking & degrading.

This is the normal result of "old age" [40 - 70 flts] or use, or abuse (overheating, after which the damaged motor can never again get warm or hot!).

BUT, it is not uncommon for a motor to be faulty from the beginning > I just now encountered a string of 4 [FOUR!] defective left motors with exactly that problem from the start!

These were grey-topped replacement left motors I'd bought from Marcel. I know G.T. had a problem with faulty motors (from a supplier), and these may have been from that very bad batch! But these type motors are cheap and one can always statistically expect some defective ones.

Luckily I had a older only slightly used left motor with a white top, and it works perfectly.

Although carefully putting in 5 diff motors was not funny, I am noetheless happy that the problem was only the bad grey-topped left motors (black/white wires, short shaft ....) and not the PCB!

Lee
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:53 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdx View Post

i dont have this bird but do have a similar setup on another and this is what i would try, first off remove those servo arm links from the swash arms (they should just pop off) then check your servo with radio on to make sure they are moving up and down freely, if not see if something is stuck in there like a piece of dirt, if that checks out next check with your hand that the swash assembly can freely tilt in all directions without the servo arms, if not then your problem is inside the swash setup most likely a brass bevel inside got lodged, in that case you will have to strip it apart and pop that bevel back in place to free it up, i had that happen to me once after some bizarre crash.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
complex hinge-function

REVIEW:

While it is possible to carefully bend the alu blade hinge-plates, the GAP itself controls:

1. coning angle > the blade [-TIP] can teeter upward, varying with gap looseness [ 4mm upper, 3 mm lower ].

2. pitch & pitch-change-w/incr. RPM > unlike CP blades which must be pitch-neutral to be servo-controlled, these blades are designed to "automatically" increase pitch w/incr. RPM [they are swept fwd! Hang a blade vertically to note that the tip is ahead of the C.G.]. Increasing the gap allows the blade to further rotate the L.E. rearward in flt and increase pitch, since this tip acts like a positive-incidence fwd canard (horizontal) stabilizer!

Lee
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,547 Posts
wobbling

My revitalized used 5888-B (recent posts) started to wobble (rotate precession-like around vert. axis). In the end I was forced to change the ENTIRE rotor system > all the parts, incl. shafts, blades*, hub assemblies and links (except the now finely-balanced flybar)!

Flies even more super now.

Lee

* had to carefully file one upper blade tip to finely balance (following original contours).