HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2011, 04:47 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
The 8008 wasn't too hard to track & tune and flew surprisingly well …. for a toy. It's IR and uses magnets for the “swashplate” function.
What? What???

Sorry, I have an 8008 and a Free Bird that uses almost the same swash mechanism. There are no magnets involved at all, unless you want to count the ones in the actuating motors.

And go try buying replacement "blade holders." Lots of manufacturers call these "blade grips" whether you care for the term or not. It's better than Chinese ads that feature "spare oars" I guess though. Now THAT'S funny.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 10:56 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
What? What???

Sorry, I have an 8008 and a Free Bird that uses almost the same swash mechanism. There are no magnets involved at all, unless you want to count the ones in the actuating motors.
You could well be correct, as I didn't dissect it but only quickly observed that it acted exactly like some other examples we saw in the factory in China that DID use magnets. At any rate, this one was rather imprecise (compared to the 5888). That's why after several closely examined test flights it quickly went back into its very nice box and became a friend's birthday present!

My experienced birds have even better eyes and MUCH faster brains than I, so I trust their nervousness about the precision flying ability of the 8008 (vs the 5888 and some others). [I am a fairly good pilot and used to be the chief first instructor for the then largest R/C club in the USA, with 300+ members, so I can easily tell what is the machine and what is the environment and what is me].

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Last edited by xlcrlee; May 08, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old May 08, 2011, 11:08 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
....And go try buying replacement "blade holders." Lots of manufacturers call these "blade grips" whether you care for the term or not. It's better than Chinese ads that feature "spare oars" I guess though. Now THAT'S funny.
And even more toy heli manufacturers call rotors "propellers". However, there ARE retailers who call blade-holders blade-holders.

Regardless, they are definitely not "grips" > they are HINGES.

That is not a term I "care for", rather the actual name > from Wikipedia:

".... helicopter rotor system, each rotor blade is attached to the rotor hub through a series of hinges which allow the blade to move independently of the others. These rotor systems usually have three or more blades. The blades are allowed to flap, feather, and lead or lag independently of each other. The horizontal hinge, called the flapping hinge, allows the blade to move up and down. This movement is called flapping and is designed to compensate for dissymmetry of lift. The flapping hinge may be located at varying distances from the rotor hub, and there may be more than one hinge. The vertical hinge, called the lead-lag or drag hinge, allows the blade to move back and forth. This movement is called lead-lag, dragging, or hunting. Dampers are usually used to prevent excess back and forth movement around the drag hinge. The purpose of the drag hinge and dampers is to compensate for the acceleration and deceleration caused by momentum conservation, and not by Coriolis Effect. Later models have switched from using traditional bearings to elastomeric bearings."

Live & Learn

Lee
Old May 09, 2011, 12:28 AM
Raager Dat
United States, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Sigh.... too many names for the same dang thing. I keep trying to use the "correct" terms all the time, but everyone has their own word for it... can't understand each other.

Almost as bad as the folks, they always say airplane instead of helicopter

PiiIiiSSsS mE offFF!
Steve1991 is offline Find More Posts by Steve1991
Old May 09, 2011, 05:58 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
WATTS in a name? [electrifying discussion]

You be right .....! The only reason I stumbled on the "grip" misnomer, is that the "grip"- term AND concept totally misses the point of what is so beautiful about the 5888 .... which hinges on the fact (sorry!) that especially the coning angles AND blade up/down movement AND pitch AND pitch-CHANGE w/incr. RPM are precisely adjustable in this heli, allowing super-tuning & performance.

I hope folks can slowly come to grips with that (sorry again).

Lee
Old May 10, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
Battery upgrade

I’m new here and stumbled across this thread as it seems to be the best resource of info for this chopper.

I’ve had a 5888 for a couple of weeks now, got lots of flight time out of it without any problems. Out the box it’s a great flyer and I’m very impressed!

I haven’t experienced any overheating of the motors or dodgy servos like others, touch wood – so far so good.

One thing i do want to do is extend flying times. Does anyone know if the batteries on these can be upgraded?

I’ve found 210mAh and 300mAh 3.7v lithium batteries on fleabay, but not sure if they’re suitable. Any tips appreciated!
d4v1d is offline Find More Posts by d4v1d
Old May 11, 2011, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
for anyone who's interested, these are now being sold in the UK on ebay for £29.99. I bought two of them!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old May 13, 2011, 01:02 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,630 Posts
happy flying D4v1d Tell us how you you find your 5888 and post a vid if you can too

some flying outdoor in a slight breese

5888 outdoor test flight.MOV (1 min 20 sec)
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Last edited by markkona; May 13, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:09 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
looks like you were having a heli-lot of fun .....

also in this one >

5888 outdoor flight.3gp (2 min 0 sec)
Old May 13, 2011, 02:46 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,630 Posts
yes until it suddenly got a super burst of forward power and crashed into the windbreaker hahaha!!!
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old May 14, 2011, 04:19 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
yes until it suddenly got a super burst of forward power and crashed into the windbreaker hahaha!!!
If the windbreaker was upwind of the heli, it could have been the reverse-wind "roller" that propelled the heli into the windbreaker. Same effect just behind the slope when slope-soaring. Same effect when running with a lit candle and having your hand in front of the flame to sheild it from the wind > the back-curling airflow will push the flame into your hand ....

Fullsize heli pilots (the helis: we assume pilots to always be close to fullsize) are trained to avoid the downwind backside of mountains, peaks and buildings!

Lee
Old May 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2004
27 Posts
Hello,

I got a 5888 a couple of days ago. It flew great, but starting yesterday, it will not keep in the air for more than about 2 minutes. There is much more life in the battery, but obviously not enough to keep more than in ground effect , about 5 cm = 2 inches off the floor. I have not had any serious accidents with it, but the blades has hit furniture a few times at low forward speed.

Something that needs adjustment, or do I have a bad battery?

Any comments / ideas?
Geir Skjaervik is offline Find More Posts by Geir Skjaervik
Last edited by Geir Skjaervik; May 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Skjaervik View Post
I got a 5888 a couple of days ago. It flew great, but starting yesterday, it will not keep in the air for more than about 2 minutes. There is much more life in the battery, but obviously not enough to keep more than in ground effect , about 5 cm = 2 inches off the floor. I have not had any serious accidents with it, but the blades has hit furniture a few times at low forward speed.
Something that needs adjustment, or do I have a bad battery?
sounds like a bad lipo, although there appears to be plenty of life left in the lipo, when the chemistry goes bad inside, under load voltage drops way below required to be able to fly/lift normally, keep in mind for future reference that lipos should never be discharged more than 80% otherwise that is what happens.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old May 15, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Dec 2004
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
sounds like a bad lipo, although there appears to be plenty of life left in the lipo, when the chemistry goes bad inside, under load voltage drops way below required to be able to fly/lift normally, keep in mind for future reference that lipos should never be discharged more than 80% otherwise that is what happens.
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Yes, I am aware of the LiPo restrictions, as I also use them in my model airplanes: I just wondered if it was an adjustment issue, but there is no collective pitch here: Only rpm keeps the bird flying, so I guess the LiPo was not a good one to start with.....

Thanks !
Geir Skjaervik is offline Find More Posts by Geir Skjaervik
Last edited by Geir Skjaervik; May 15, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:47 AM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
i've really enjoyed my 5888, however it's developed a fault recently.

Lipo is good, blades are good, swash is good, as far as i can tell... all is good.

but when hovering it rotates in circles. The helicopter points in the same direction but rocks in a steadty circular motion?

can any advise why this might be? I'll try get a video up later