HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:54 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
:-))

.... oh yeah, bhicks100: happy landings!

xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:42 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
After my birthday party 5888 video turned up on the TopToyExpress site without my prior knowledge, I passed on to them [ "Customer Service - TopToyExpress" <info@toptoyexpress.com> ] what several readers suggested: namely that they should send me some free ones.

They first thanked me for my video's usefullness to them, then sent me the following email. I in turn greatly thanked them and now gave them "official permission" to use that video, if they should so wish.

Happy Lee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Justin Tang" <justin@momentum-media.net>

Dear Lee,

How are you doing? Wish you had a nice weekend.

I have reviewed the issue you had. I feel sorry that we used your video without getting your approval. I have instructed our product manager to remove the video now.

To express our apology and appreciation of your video, I would like to give you a 5888 4Ch RC Helicopter. In addition, I would like to give you 8008 4Ch RC Helicopter & RC UFO which are nice toys to play with. Hope you would like them. (please give me your postal address)

Furthermore, we are recruiting customers to do a video review of the products we are selling. Successful video will be granted $40 cash coupon. If you are interested, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Justin Tang,
Director, Sales & Marketing
Charging for flight #8 on my 5888 & thanks on the info for yaw not staying trimmed. But keep me posted on how the 8008 performs. I don't even want to fly my 3 channels anymore due to confusion & switching between 3 to 4 channels. That 5888 is awesome have another one coming & getting ready to order another one. Top Toy Express gets them here fast, still waiting on Ebay purchase.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks100 View Post
I don't even want to fly my 3 channels anymore due to confusion & switching between 3 to 4 channels.
I don't own a 5888 but I have a few other 4ch heli's and I gotta say they are far far far more entertaining for me at least to fly!!!

Also, there are a lot better 4ch's that you can get than the 8008... the problem is that the "servos" if you can even call them that are linear.. So theres no control to how gradual your inputs are, its just on or off so to speak...
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:07 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post
I don't own a 5888 but I have a few other 4ch heli's and I gotta say they are far far far more entertaining for me at least to fly!!!

Also, there are a lot better 4ch's that you can get than the 8008... the problem is that the "servos" if you can even call them that are linear.. So theres no control to how gradual your inputs are, its just on or off so to speak...
Thanks for the servo info no gradual inputs doesn't sound like much fun, flying inside would be tough. My father in law has a Blade MSR and can't fly it. I tried for a short while and it's so bad out of trim it's crazy. I got it a little better but due to the small room at his house I had to try it in due to my 9 month old daughter who cries when she hears one. He is wanting to give me a good deal on it & he likes the S107 he has. I could care less about a 3 channel after I got the 5888. He is interested in the S032 I ordered and I'm thinking of a trade and a little more money even though I told him reviews are bad on it not flying long. He bought it like a year ago around $160 and was wondering if it has a gyro. If so I think on a calm day outside I could trim it in. On line now you can get one for a $100 and they say they have a gyro.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:33 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Tx STAYS trimmed ....

Quote:
.... thanks on the info for yaw not staying trimmed.
The Tx stays trimmed! But during start-up, the heli's "gyro" (solid-state accelerometer) tries to sort out and balance current correctly for the two motors. As you increase power from zero to about 20 - 30%, the "gyro" can be first-time (per heli switch-on) adjusted via the Tx STICK input, and then the heli will be again adjusted to the previously stored Tx yaw trim.

Lee
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:14 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,102 Posts
Quote:
The Tx stays trimmed! But during start-up, the heli's "gyro" (solid-state accelerometer) tries to sort out and balance current correctly for the two motors. As you increase power from zero to about 20 - 30%, the "gyro" can be first-time (per heli switch-on) adjusted via the Tx STICK input, and then the heli will be again adjusted to the previously stored Tx yaw trim.

Lee
It yaws to the left and trimming again will bring it back. Last flight brought it up to hover corrected with transmitter stick and still yawed to left, corrected with trim. One time brought up to hover yawing to left & landed powered off heli re-powered up heli to hover and yawing to right much faster than when start up yawing left. So far just bringing it up to hover and adjusting trim again is the only thing that has been working for me.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:55 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
whatever works (for you) ....
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:18 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,102 Posts
Quote:
whatever works (for you) ....
I'll try the TX stick again that would be better than trimming ever time. Maybe I need to correct with stick a little longer than I did last time.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:07 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
I'll try the TX stick again that would be better than trimming ever time. Maybe I need to correct with stick a little longer than I did last time.
It's a complex interactive system with many variables, so you just have to be flexible. It kinda depends on how it "feels" at the moment ....
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:08 AM
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
Dear Lee,

I just bought with my colleagues 5 pieces of 5888 and it seems only one of the five is working properly. (2 has a servo problem, one has a not perfectly meshing lower gear, and one Tx is not working)
The not working Transmitter has a green LED on without trying to charge the heli. I think it can be a short circuit, I will try to fix it.

I would like to ask you about one servo problem: You can push down easily the right servo with your finger. I think that is the main problem. Normally you can not move the servo manually but this can be pushed down doesn't matter if it is switched on or off. To pull it up manually is not possible. With the motor (servo) you can move it well but sometimes there is a strange noise. In case of flying the right servo "falls down" and you know what happens.... crash.
Do you have any idea how to fix it?
gulyi1980 is offline Find More Posts by gulyi1980
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:55 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulyi1980 View Post
Dear Lee,

I just bought with my colleagues 5 pieces of 5888 and it seems only one of the five is working properly. (2 has a servo problem, one has a not perfectly meshing lower gear, and one Tx is not working)
The not working Transmitter has a green LED on without trying to charge the heli. I think it can be a short circuit, I will try to fix it.

I would like to ask you about one servo problem: You can push down easily the right servo with your finger. I think that is the main problem. Normally you can not move the servo manually but this can be pushed down doesn't matter if it is switched on or off. To pull it up manually is not possible. With the motor (servo) you can move it well but sometimes there is a strange noise. In case of flying the right servo "falls down" and you know what happens.... crash.
Do you have any idea how to fix it?
1. There is a normal free up/down movement of ca. 1mm in the servo. Pushing manually more than this will destroy it.
2. Strange noises can often be eliminated with QUALITY plastic-metal lube (model train). If you mean servo "chatter" at one movement extreme, it's possible (but not recommended for non-experts) to move the "troubled" linkage w.r.t. the delicate servo feeler contact arms to ease the problem (see above posts).
3. The pinion gears can be slid up/down on the motor shafts to better mesh. Also, check that the rotor shaft locking collet is not even slightly loose: it holds the rotor shaft and gears in proper vertical alignment (see my above Post #435 on this subject); the large gears can be manually made to rotate in a plane perpendicular to the shaft.
4. I strongly suggest you return all the defective ones (or keep them for parts).

Lee
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
CA glue and where it doesn't go.

Stole a pinion gear from my execuheli as I lost( well It shot off the motor shaft mid flight due to too much oil and sliding it back into place every 30 seconds.). Cleaned the shaft and gear would stay put for most flights. ok Great But i decided to give it a little extra and tried sending in a micro dot of CA glue. To hold the gear in place better. bad idea. glue went everywhere! Now it's on the main (big) gear and causes bad mesh. Currently I don't have the patience to pull it all apart and scrape the glue from all the teeth. maybe after a few shots of tequila I will attempt. Anyways If your Pinion gear slides be careful of how much CA you put on it. She will fly great again soon. Also As this is currently causing extra strain on the motor i ordered new motors and gear for when this set fries. Lovin' the E-bay.
Jaxom is offline Find More Posts by Jaxom
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:45 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
NEVER use CA "glue"!

Use only CA gel! >

it is controllable, stays put, and can even repair L.E. blade dings (file down while hardening, and the "sanded" fibre-filled blade material merges into the gel for an invisible repair that's harder than the blade material!)

Lee
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:47 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
Stole a pinion gear from my execuheli as I lost( well It shot off the motor shaft mid flight due to too much oil and sliding it back into place every 30 seconds.). Cleaned the shaft and gear would stay put for most flights. ok Great But i decided to give it a little extra and tried sending in a micro dot of CA glue. To hold the gear in place better. bad idea. glue went everywhere! Now it's on the main (big) gear and causes bad mesh. Currently I don't have the patience to pull it all apart and scrape the glue from all the teeth. maybe after a few shots of tequila I will attempt. Anyways If your Pinion gear slides be careful of how much CA you put on it. She will fly great again soon. Also As this is currently causing extra strain on the motor i ordered new motors and gear for when this set fries. Lovin' the E-bay.
If you remove the large gear, put it in boiling water for some minutes and/or use a HOT hairdrier to start to break down the CA and make it much easier to remove!

Lee
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Dude! thanks man.

Yeah boiling water now. and I have the gel, argh I was too impatient to look for it. Well now i will.
Jaxom is offline Find More Posts by Jaxom