HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:04 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Nice find III PABS III but they are ripoff expensive - 10.46 for 1 x 3.7V 210mAh battery when you can get two of the same batteries on ebay for 4.39

I would rather be grounded for a couple of weeks waiting on the batteries coming from Hong Kong than pay their prices

It's not as if they are running a shop to justify their prices, their info tells you they are not a retail outlet.

I can also find most of their helis for sale in the UK from actual hobby shops for more than 10 cheaper.

They sell the JP Twister 2.4G Coast Guard RTF at 92.24
Steve Webb Models sell the same heli for 79.99

That is one place I will definitely not be giving any business to!
Thanks for the warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by III PABS III View Post
By the way for anyone interested in parts. I've found this from a UK model shop. The only potential problem I've spotted is finding parts for it on ebay and such.

http://www.storacingproducts.com/spa...888-parts.html
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:06 AM
S. Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Nice find III PABS III but they are ripoff expensive - 10.46 for 1 x 3.7V 210mAh battery when you can get two of the same batteries on ebay for 4.39

I would rather be grounded for a couple of weeks waiting on the batteries coming from Hong Kong than pay their prices

It's not as if they are running a shop to justify their prices, their info tells you they are not a retail outlet.

I can also find most of their helis for sale in the UK from actual hobby shops for more than 10 cheaper.

They sell the JP Twister 2.4G Coast Guard RTF at 92.24
Steve Webb Models sell the same heli for 79.99

That is one place I will definitely not be giving any business to!
Thanks for the warning
Agreed, but was looking more at the crash repair kit.
http://www.storacingproducts.com/crash-repair-kit.html
Although this still seems a little steep.

While doing some research on this model, I'm struggling to find replacement parts for it. Or are blades and such interchangable with other models?
III PABS III is offline Find More Posts by III PABS III
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0d0scious View Post
I can't see anything in that video Lee. Another plea for photographs!!!
You have to use freeze frame. If you can't see it there, you wouldn't "see" it in any I posted either! Anyway, I now have NO camera of any sort .... sorry

xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:15 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
djdavies has started a new thread on compatability issues between helis so there may be info pop up in that forum as he has a 5888 himself.

I will keep looking for spares as I also have the 5888 and if I find any I will post the find

Till spares are found for the 5888 you had better fly carefully and stay away from walls which are my downfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by III PABS III View Post
Agreed, but was looking more at the crash repair kit.
http://www.storacingproducts.com/crash-repair-kit.html
Although this still seems a little steep.

While doing some research on this model, I'm struggling to find replacement parts for it. Or are blades and such interchangable with other models?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Don't buy spares from any of the UK model shops - they're all overpriced. Only way to go is ebay. You can buy a whole heli for 32 delivered so why would you spend 22 (inc delivery), on just a few bits.

Get another one then you've got backup parts for everything and it ships with one pair of lower rotors spare.

Other than that I think there's a few people doing spares on ebay too, but always works out a little pricey unless you buy loads and save on shipping.
saru is offline Find More Posts by saru
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:19 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlaJ View Post
I second that. A few photos of the bent metal pieces holding the blades would be very interesting to see.. I understand that it's about trial and error in tweaking them for your own heli.. but would be good to see If I'm on the right track
The almost-microscopic details are too small to see unless you know what to look for ... AND, as I wrote, every single one is different. You need to put a "black box" around it and test for results. The results are the sideviews of coning angles & pitch "thickness" as shown in freeze-frames of the well-ADJUSTED heli in flight in the referenced video! That is the best reference!

Lee

P.S. if you haven't yet found this out, every single plastic molded hub piece and every single rotor blade is different!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:19 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Do you have links for the ebay sellers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru View Post
Other than that I think there's a few people doing spares on ebay too, but always works out a little pricey unless you buy loads and save on shipping.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:22 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_D View Post
Hi,

No dead stick issue with the 5888. It is a highly responsive helicopter. The slightest input on the controls allows me to fine tune any maneuver, or I can just slap the sticks around and send this little helicopter speeding all over the place.

Actually, there is absolutely no reason not to own one of these 5888s. I've got around 40 flights on mine in the past two weeks and this bird has never let me down. I just charge it and fly it with a break or two for the motors and battery.

under $50
4 channel
2.4ghz
fully functional trim
parts availability
10 min flight time
2 gyros
highly stable and responsive
a full metal, hot little heli

can't recommend it enough
I second (& third) that ....!
Lee
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
USA, Ripley, WV
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
US Seller

$48.01-2 available-I had mine in 3 days from order.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Flier-5888-...item2eb2b2af56
Heavy_D is offline Find More Posts by Heavy_D
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,590 Posts
re: blade adjustment

I think I've found what's behind a "strange" phenominon that I've been noticing while adjusting the alu blade-holders, esp. to eliminate unwanted differential (cyclic!) pitch >

The alu plates are apparently always somewhat "loose" and what is done to one side is still affected by the other. For ex., if a (let's say black stripe-marked blade [done by me for differentiation on the innermost blade root end, visible only when the blade is swung fwd]) is slightly loosened (usually involving only max 2 of counterclockwise unscrewing), to incr. tip-play (and thus coning angle & pitch), it will get a bit tighter again after flying a bit! Counterintuitive ....

I now think that the opposite blade (unmarked "white" inner end in this case) which must have had relatively too much/more tip-play to req. me to incr. the tip-play (micro-loosen bolt) of the black-striped-end blade, still twists & moves the alu plate .... somewhat re-tightening the previously loosened blade.

So now I know what to watch out for when adjusting.

Interestingly, this might also explain why the blades tend to remain cyclicly (non-differentially!) balanced after changing collective fixed-pitch (using four "butter"-knives, 2 on each side of an upper, then lower, alu plate). It would be similar to 2 parallel-connected same e-motors self-balancing (current > RPM) ....

Lee
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:50 AM
USA, Ripley, WV
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
For All Your 5888 Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Do you have links for the ebay sellers?
Buy any part you need from this link.

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_...dlo=&_udhi=150
Heavy_D is offline Find More Posts by Heavy_D
Last edited by Heavy_D; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: O.C.D.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:57 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined Oct 2004
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_D View Post
$48.01-2 available-I had mine in 3 days from order.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Flier-5888-...item2eb2b2af56
"This listing has ended"

richh is offline Find More Posts by richh
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
You have to use freeze frame. If you can't see it there, you wouldn't "see" it in any I posted either! Anyway, I now have NO camera of any sort .... sorry

I've used freeze frame! I can't see it. Can you take a screen grab of freeze frame and annotate the picture pointing out what you're talking about possibly?

I get that every setup may be different - but some clue to what we're looking for might help us to try to get there > the prefectly tuned heli!

Thanks for your efforts anyway!
fr0d0scious is offline Find More Posts by fr0d0scious
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Try the other video from that user it's clearer.
saru is offline Find More Posts by saru
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saru View Post
Try the other video from that user it's clearer.
If you get it can you annotate a pic so we can establish fact saru?
fr0d0scious is offline Find More Posts by fr0d0scious