SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:13 PM
USA, Ripley, WV
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts

O.K. After that last flight, now I'm confused.

First off, I am amazed to no end at how I can put this bird in the air and suspend it in place perfectly. Once the altitude is sustained, hands off this heli is motionless. No forwards or backwards, no side to side, no rotating, no up and down. I can point the nose away from me and use the forth channel to slide left and right, from one wall to the other endlessly, and the nose of this heli just keeps pointing straight ahead. I really can't believe this is less than a $50 investment.

I have left this thing on the high setting ever since I got it. I decided to do a little experimenting with the options and I ran into an unexpected reaction (or lack of a reaction).

When I had the helicopter fixed in space and I switched it to low, I expected the heli to descend, but nothing happened. I turned everything off and rebooted in the low setting. Suspending in low I switched to high, expecting the heli to climb. Still nothing.

Am I missing something here?
Heavy_D is offline Find More Posts by Heavy_D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:40 PM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_D View Post
O.K. After that last flight, now I'm confused.

First off, I am amazed to no end at how I can put this bird in the air and suspend it in place perfectly. Once the altitude is sustained, hands off this heli is motionless. No forwards or backwards, no side to side, no rotating, no up and down. I can point the nose away from me and use the forth channel to slide left and right, from one wall to the other endlessly, and the nose of this heli just keeps pointing straight ahead. I really can't believe this is less than a $50 investment.

I have left this thing on the high setting ever since I got it. I decided to do a little experimenting with the options and I ran into an unexpected reaction (or lack of a reaction).

When I had the helicopter fixed in space and I switched it to low, I expected the heli to descend, but nothing happened. I turned everything off and rebooted in the low setting. Suspending in low I switched to high, expecting the heli to climb. Still nothing.

Am I missing something here?
Hi and Low control the servo throws only.. it wont affect your motor speed. Low rate minimizes the amount the servo throws out in any one direction. High rate gives it maximum available throw.
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:56 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
1. Can I charge immediately after a flight? (I always wait to fly 10-15 min. after charge)

2. Can I leave plugged into wall charger overnight?
1. You need to wait for the LIPO to get to room temp. or below but well above freezing. What's been working for me is around
5 min, or a bit less, in the refrigerator and maybe one min to slightly re-warm towards room temp. After months of extensive use several of mine STILL maintain extremely close-to-new capacity! (and even the oldest, with 7+ hrs flt time, has around 95% capacity ....)

2. Several of my "wall" chargers have died (I got more from Marcel). Also it is NOT good to trust anything electric & electronic,
esp of "this" quality, to remain plugged-in unattended (all such chargers, for electric toothbrushes or phones, will be warm even when not charging!). I am far from the only person who will tell you to check on it while charging (if there IS a problem you will most definitely smell it!).

Lee .)
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:18 PM
USA, Ripley, WV
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
Digital Trim Memory

I thought digital trim memory would keep the trim settings of my last flight, but every time I turn the heli off and back on again, even just to cool the motors, I have to max out the throttle trim all over again.

I like a touchy throttle stick for quick climbing maneuvers (there's just a few obstacles on the ceiling to avoid with a quick drop, but there's a ton of stuff on the floor that I sometimes need to climb up and away from in a hurry).

Anybody figured out the actual functions of the digital trim memory?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:00 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
it is just a bit more complex

Quote:
I thought digital trim memory would keep the trim settings of my last flight, but every time I turn the heli off and back on again, even just to cool the motors, I have to max out the throttle trim all over again.

I like a touchy throttle stick for quick climbing maneuvers (there's just a few obstacles on the ceiling to avoid with a quick drop, but there's a ton of stuff on the floor that I sometimes need to climb up and away from in a hurry).

Anybody figured out the actual functions of the digital trim memory?
The digital memory works great .... BUT it is for the Tx only! The IC chip (monitoring ther solid-state yaw-"gyro"!) in the heli waits for the first throttle commands and notes the heli response, and THEN initializes the heli "zero".

Simple solution: once you KNOW that at the middle of the LIPO charge (i.e., not at the end of the charge where the voltage is lower) the heli is nicely trimmed, when you restart and see the heli spinning left, for ex., re-boot by turning off heli only and hold the left stick way to the right as you add power. As the heli just starts to rise, use the stick (not re-trim) to adjust the yaw. And of course use other start-up corrections for other trim problems ....

It may take several tries to learn this technique, but it works!

Lee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Apr 16, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
50 Posts
Parts

Is there a US parts supplier for the 5888? I have a stripped out motor gear for the upper blades that needs replaced. The symptoms before the final failure were a whining coming from the gear eventually leading to failure. once the gear failed the 5888 would spin uncontrollably clockwise.

It seams the cause for the failure is excess up/down play on the shaft allowing the main gear to be pulled up far enough to disengage the upper motor gear.. I can not see how to fix this to prevent it from happening again? Any suggestions?
notnewton is offline Find More Posts by notnewton
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:42 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnewton View Post
Is there a US parts supplier for the 5888? I have a stripped out motor gear for the upper blades that needs replaced.
Do a search for "5888" on Ebay to find parts.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:14 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnewton View Post
.... It seems the cause for the failure is excess up/down play on the shaft allowing the main gear to be pulled up far enough to disengage the upper motor gear.. I can not see how to fix this to prevent it from happening again? Any suggestions?
There is a collar below the swashplate (called "bearing" in parts list > it DOES contain a nice ball-bearing!), and immediately
above the fork-piece that keeps the swashplate from rotating with the rotor. It has a locking screw which is supposed to fit into a tiny hole drilled into the alu rotor-shaft-tube (2 holes, 180 apart, using just one). IF the pre-set hole places the rotor tube "shaft" vertical-positioning collar too high (ideally it should be micro-spaced just enough that the unpowered spinning upper rotor does NOT cause the lower rotor to spin AT ALL!), it is possible to reposition the collar away from the hole and tighten against the alu tube without the benefit of the hole.

NOTE: in any case this part must be screwed-in VERY tightly!! The screw holes line up with the screw on the upper swashplate part.

Lee
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:53 PM
USA, Ripley, WV
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
High Performance, Cheap 5888 Helicopter

O.K. I just timed the flight duration for this heli, and I'm impressed. With equal parts horsing it around and doing quick landing and take off maneuvers, I got to enjoy a full nine minutes of flight.

Here's the schedule:

-------------------------------

1 min. flight
2 min. rest

2 min. 30 sec. flight
2 min. rest

2 min. 30 sec. flight
2 min. rest

2 min. flight
(At this point I landed and forgot to switch off heli, so the l.e.d. lights just sat there blinking for 2 min. while I ate some homemade spinach artichoke dip.)

2 min. rest (after the 2 min. of l.e.d. blinking)

1 min. flight (At exactly the 58 sec. mark, full throttle resulted in a descending heli.)

-------------------------------

Without the unnecessary 2 min. of blinking l.e.d. lights, I would expect to get a full 10 min. flight out of each charge.

I have had 25+ flights on this heli since I got it Tues. (Spring semester starts Mon., and I'll be lucky if I fly a couple times a week.) I have had absolutely no problems with this helicopter (except for my wife asking me to see if I could "land that thing in the toilet.") I haven't even needed to change the Tx batteries yet!

So easy to operate that anybody could do it. All I do is charge and fly (with adequate breaks for motor and battery cooling, of course.)

Everyone should own one of these high performance, cheap 4 channel 5888 helicopters.

Note:

I have not crashed one of these helicopters. They are very precise. All I have experienced are a couple of low flight operator-throttle-kills (to avoid an end table, chair, son's toys all over the living room, etc.)
Last edited by Heavy_D; Jan 08, 2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: O.C.D.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:30 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Short flying time?

Hi Guys,

Had to register here to ask you some questions. Got a 5888 a few days ago (only my second heli and first 4ch, so very new at this). I've read through this thread only after I got the Heli. Bought it in Sweden as a replacement for my previous 3ch that I crashed, but not before I got hooked flying..

Basically, I have a problem with flying time.. I fly on the "Low" setting still, but after a full charge I only get about 1 min and 45 sec of flying time before the Heli loses hight and goes close to the floor. Closer to the floor (10cm) I can then fly for 3-4 more minutes before I stop and put on charge.

Now I've read the posts about burning motors, that you should pause/stop fly every 2 minutes or so - maybe I've damaged something?

I'm pretty sure that I haven't damaged the Li-Po though, I charged it before first use and have put it back on charge before running it too low.

I have to say that the heli seemed "tired" at first flight compared to my previous 3ch, but maybe that was because of the Low setting.

I've checked the tracking of the blades, the upper ones are fairly ok, but not razor-sharp I would say, the bottoms ones wobble a bit depending on rpm. The actual blades a screwed on ok, not to much nor little flexing (pitch?), I'm sure they are not perfect.. but would this affect the flying time so much?

The seller says that I probably got some dust/hair stuck somewhere in the inner workings? But really after only maybe 5-10 flights?

Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ola
OlaJ is offline Find More Posts by OlaJ
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:10 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Hi Ola: it sounds like

1. either the rotors are very badly adjusted by the factory [if you can see a wobble, they are REALLY out-of whack], but YOU can fix with patience & care ("Search" my posts about rotor tip-play and especially, precise tracking!) ... and/or

2. one or both motors are damaged or defective.

If one of my 5888s starts showing lagging performance or short flight times, usually one motor gerts really hot and then totally dies. Upon replacement, I get NEW, hot performance.

3. As a test, slowly turn each rotor separately by hand: any dirt, etc., will show up as a knick which you will feel. If they rotate smoothly AND if you heli never had good performance, insist that your dealer replace it!!

Good Luck,
Lee
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:52 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Hi Lee,

Thanks for answering so quickly!

1. Lower rotor I would say is not tracking properly, but it really depends on the rpm as well, like maybe the upper rotor is affecting airflow on the lower one, can't really explain.. So I find it difficult to see how to adjust it (I've read your threads and had a look at a few articles about balancing and tracking, so I know the principle).

3. Yes.. definitely, when turning upper rotor, sometimes there are very distinct knicks.. at certain points even a bit of resistance in turning rotor?

Cheers,
Ola
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:08 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Lee,

Just noticed something.. when looking at the heli from behind and looking at the big gear wheels inside heli, the upper wheel, which turns when you turn the lower rotor.. that one is not turning around in a nice circle, it's not level, and I can see the "stick" that it is attached to also moving slightly unevenly when looking under heli. I think it is bent somehow.. and that in turn effects the upper rotor.. when turning upper rotor I get the knicks depending in which "state" the lower rotor is in..

Bit strange since I haven't crashed, only tipped over a few times when landing.. ?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:50 AM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Sounds like a gear has came out of alignment.
Does the gear have constant contact with the motor gear for the entire revolution of 360 degrees?

If its wobbling make sure the gear is securely attached to the main shaft, is the set screw secure?
If its secure you may have a bent main shaft, and maybe need to replace. You can get spare parts at ebay.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:03 AM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
There is a seller on ebay that is selling landing skids for the 5888. First time I have seen that, so if any of you are looking for a replacement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-T-Model-5888-4...item1c186b341b