HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,999 Posts
saving 5888 motors from early death ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Dude you sound like a real expert on this craft, I'm sure many people would love to see a dedicated 5888 tuning/care thread.

I really want to get one of these in the new year so.....

About stopping to let the motor cool in the first 1-2mins, so a few gentle short hops or is there a better method?
For a new heli, check at the first 30 seconds, then at the 1 min, then at the 90 sec mark. You'll soon find out, after many flights, if your heli needs to be checked first at which time.

What one is checking for is a slightly warm aluminum covering (which is actually NOT touching the metal motor). I use my lower lip as a sensitive test. And smell the motors up close if I am concerned!

My supplier Marcel sells MANY, MANY motors to his Swiss customers who have not read this thread! No joke!!

Generally, I stop & check a "used" and TUNED! heli at the 1 minute mark, let it cool to room temp, then fly maybe 2 more mins and check again. At the end, they can often fly for 2 min periods w/o getting hot ( > WARM on alu cladding!).

If you go through my (too!) many posts in this thread, you can garner a lot of info I have slowly learned (the hard way!, why I am warning folks here to frequently & carefully check motor temps!).

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
Zagreb
Joined Dec 2003
17 Posts
Hi, this is my first venture in the RC, im trying to scratch money for years to get some kind of a model...and i bought this as a cheap alternative but as it arrived yesterday i saw it has much more potential then it is at the first glance.I will try to make some videos, and pictures of what i got in the box so all of you can see (i got it from ebay for 50$ ).
Lee i love your enthusiasm, and i will try to tune my heli because as i started to play with this thing, i couldn't stop thinking how much fun would be to own 6ch nitro -one so this is my trainer and knowledge gatherer. Lee if you can guide me into few good tutorials about heli maintenance ,and heli conditioning i would be pleased, and i will share the knowledge with others!

Love the heli, and hope it will become the standard for 4 ch heli-s
Stjepan is offline Find More Posts by Stjepan
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjepan View Post
Hi, this is my first venture in the RC, im trying to scratch money for years to get some kind of a model...and i bought this as a cheap alternative but as it arrived yesterday i saw it has much more potential then it is at the first glance.I will try to make some videos, and pictures of what i got in the box so all of you can see (i got it from ebay for 50$ ).
Lee i love your enthusiasm, and i will try to tune my heli because as i started to play with this thing, i couldn't stop thinking how much fun would be to own 6ch nitro -one so this is my trainer and knowledge gatherer. Lee if you can guide me into few good tutorials about heli maintenance ,and heli conditioning i would be pleased, and i will share the knowledge with others!

Love the heli, and hope it will become the standard for 4 ch heli-s

Here is an unboxing video in case you didnt see it already:

Unboxing

And there are other videos of the 5888 in my episode listing:

Episode Listing
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:03 PM
Zagreb
Joined Dec 2003
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler View Post
Here is an unboxing video in case you didnt see it already:
Listing[/URL]
Sorry if my post was little bit confusing..but i already opened my Ill post some extra pictures, and few videos to... im interesting in tweaking this little puppy to be more precise and more "quiet" And is there possibility to juce-up the batteries(longer flight not more V/A)?Put in bigger ones? (few extra cells...) And as i will make modifications, (lubing, tuning etc) i will try to make videos so that others can do it by them selfs) Ps. i don't know of any shop here in Croatia that could have the train-set lube, can you specify what is so special about that lube (oil) - is there any substitution for it, as i can see my heli is pretty dry in the places that should be lubed adequately ) Thnx for the fast response!

(here are few of mine photos)

PS. I have read all of the topic and i have seen all of your videos and photos thnx for the response! Hope i can make some contributions here on the forum, as i am constantly reading and dreaming of my machines... Hope i can make some other noob life quite easier by sharing my experience!

Flight characteristics of this heli is wonderful , as i stated above this is my FIRST RC model, so this is my first full contact with flying such a thing. But , this heli is so easy to fly that it took me only 3 charges of a battery to be confident enough to lift this puppy in the air ( did the on the ground loops and turns to learn the commands and to fine tune the heli). And now , i can almost fly and land to any spot i wish. And yes there were few crashes but nothing serous , (most of my crashes were on bed or pillows ) For now only question is , how to condition the battery in side do i empty the heli completely (no movement what so ever) or do i put it on the charger as soon as it start to loose the climbing capability-es)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Half right, the moment it starts to lose power, stop flying.
But wait 5 or more mins before putting it on charge, likewise when taking it off charge, wait 5 mins before flying, I've killed te LiPo in two heli by not knowing this at the time.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,999 Posts
Quote:
For now only question is , how to condition the battery in side do i empty the heli completely (no movement what so ever) or do i put it on the charger as soon as it start to loose the climbing capability-es)
This heli uses one LIPO cell. They start at full storage/use capacity and lose it either slowly or instantly depending on their care.

The motors in this heli are the weak lnk, so stopping for frequent cooling as posted above will keep the LIPO from overheating. I have replaced over 15 motors so far, but the worst used LIPO that I have still has 95% capacity, ther rest almost 100%!

There is built-in overcharge protection. The only thing you can do to kill the LIPO is to make a hole in it .... or allow it to stay at its minimum useful charge without re-charging. LIPO's are like plarts: without water [plants] or minimum charge [LIPO's] they start to die!

So SOON as the heli stops climbing or starts to descend even when given full power command, land it, turn it off and allow to cool for ca. 10 min (or 5 min in refrigerator, allowing to warm for a bit after) .... then immediately re-charge.

For long term storage, give 80% charge, and re-do this 2x/year, keeping in a dry and cool but not freezing place.

B.t.w., the train oil is specifically designed for metal AND plastic; many modern lubes will harm plastic!

Happy Landings,
Lee
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:05 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Half right, the moment it starts to lose power, stop flying.
But wait 5 or more mins before putting it on charge, likewise when taking it off charge, wait 5 mins before flying, I've killed te LiPo in two heli by not knowing this at the time.
You can fly THIS heli immediately after charge: the charge rate with the house-current chargers is very slow and does not heat the LIPO. At least in the ones I tested with the cowling off. Anyway, using the system I've described above seems to preserve the LIPO's. Several of mine, after extensive months-long use, and testing the charge capacity by pushing the heli to its flt limit, only able to fly in ground effect for several minutes to really use the charge up (dangerous test!!) .... would then take 80 or even 85 min to recharge ( = SUPER capacity, undamaged!).

Lee
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
Zagreb
Joined Dec 2003
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
B.t.w., the train oil is specifically designed for metal AND plastic; many modern lubes will harm plastic!

Happy Landings,
Lee
So the best thing is to order the oil from ebay...any brands you recommend?And, well yes i stared to do "hops" im trying my landing skills to maximum (two cardboard boxes i use as landing stations ) i make few circles land on one, then repeat the procedure always trying to land in right position (reverse position for every box) it's fun flying and forces me to get the "feel" for the controls...already i hate the L position on my transmitter .

ps. Oh i found out the hard way that ordinary machine oil hurts plastics loong (20 years minimum )time ago when i used it on my Lego helicopter set XD (lol the irony? )

Il start to read an investigate how to achieve RAZOR blades...i know i have seen the tutorial some where here...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:22 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,999 Posts
Quote:
I'll start to read an investigate how to achieve RAZOR blades...i know i have seen the tutorial some where here...
My meaning was that the leading edges of the rotating blades viewed edge-on should appear RAZOR-sharp. All it takes is a lot of patient time adjusting, using small strips of removable tape on the trailing edge of one blade to see which blade (of 2) has too much or too little lift w.r.t. the other. Try, try, and try again. Not easy, but do-able. when you get it right, you'll know it!

For helis with actual razors for blades you'll have to go to another website, Hollywood, etc. [wink]

Lee
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:01 PM
Zagreb
Joined Dec 2003
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
For helis with actual razors for blades you'll have to go to another website, Hollywood, etc. [wink]

Lee
LOL I knew it's tuning but i know i saw the tutorial how to tune it...but this is enough info to start ...sadly just today i busted one blade the "evil" coffee mug got in away of my landing strip I see Lee that you are LONG in this hobby , so i ask what do you think of this heli as starter heli for a little bigger heli-s? I hope to scrounge some money for bigger helis...and hopefully nitro one I think i am really bitten with this
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:11 PM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
i broke my landing gear on my red 5888 tonight!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:42 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Oh no! First reports of casualties, I have not checked yet but I think I'll get mine from electroic kingdom, links and number in earlier post in this thread, as this guy is selling them from the uk with free shipping for 30.99 he must be importing them himself in bulk and would not be able to send them back to china, he could be the best option for uk spares, or spares anywhere for that matter, I have found 5889 spares on eBay but not 5888.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:22 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,999 Posts
Marcel in Switzerland has many parts: blades, landIng skid part, etc. His eMail is somewhere in this or another thread. Gotta run ....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:14 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,783 Posts
Spares for 5888:
http://www.toptoyexpress.com/remote-...are-parts.html
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:33 AM
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
Yes but sadly no landing gear. So be careful on those hard landings. I was practicing landings on top of a home heat radiator, and it bumped and felll to the floor, then one side of the landing snapped and broke.

I am thinking of just keeping this one as a spare, for parts, and order a whole new one. I have a number of flights on this wonderful guy so i am not a bit too upset.