Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:46 PM
Model Boat Aficionado
Tucson, AZ
Joined Nov 2009
125 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Discussion

Hello all!

I added a new discussion to Facebook, and thought I would share it here as well for those of you who do not have Facebook or prefer RCG to it... Here it is:

If you were chosen to be a Dumas designer for one day and told you could design any boat or airplane to be added to our product line, what would it be?

I am sure the responses will be fantastic, so let em rip!

April
AprilRose is offline Find More Posts by AprilRose
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
Thanks for the opportunity, AprilRose!

Keep going on the C*C line, of course... Work on reintroducing the classic Dumas kits that were originally printed wood/die-cut as laser cut kits- lots of great stuff in your archives. the design work is done- just CAD work and some parts fit refinement.

Add to the C*C cruiser range... I think the time has come for a mid 1960's C*C Constellation... Same scale as your current C*C Express... C*C produced Connies in the 30-40 foot range in the 60's which would be good-

Dumas produced the plane I wanted several years ago which I was able to buy before things went sideways with it... (C-310)
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Jul 14, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:59 PM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
904 Posts
How about a classic yacht?

Similar to this?
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2007
18 Posts
Dumas new kit suggestion...

THUNDERBIRD! Or anything by Stan-Craft designs.....
bombertech is offline Find More Posts by bombertech
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:33 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,613 Posts
Century Coronado.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
479 Posts
I would love to see a 1:72 scale Canadian St. Laurent Class Destroyer. I would love to build one of those.

Cheers,
Cadmunkey is online now Find More Posts by Cadmunkey
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
I would like to see a shrimp boat....Jenny comes to mind. Thanks for posting this...some of us don't do Face Book...etc.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:38 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
I have been building models for most of my life which so far is lengthy. When it came time to build an Rc model I had the time,the place to build in and the money to buy whatever I wanted. I didn't like the airplanes because I had seen too many nice models crash and thought that was such a waste. So I decided on the Sterling 63' Motor Yacht because it looked good and it was big and made for RC. At the time I'd never heard of Dumas. Sorry. And had never built an RC model of any kind.
Anyway Sterling was out of business at the time so I called Pan American in Hollywood Fla. and asked if they had one left. No they didn't. "So who did you sell the last one to?" I asked. A hobby shop in Punta Gorda they said and gave me the shops name and telephone number. I called them and they still had the model and I got right in my truck and went up there and bought it.$125 cash money. While at the shop I spotted the 42 foot CC corvette also by Sterling and thought it was nice. I didn't buy it then but the more I thought about it the more I wanted that model too and the company was out of business so there wouldn't be anymore made.. Two weeks later I went back and bought it. Another $125 if I remember right.
These were not boats that I had ever seen or had anything to do with. I just liked them because of the old style and the mahogany. I love mahogany.
So the classic lines of the cruise shown above would be a choice I would make in looking for a nice RC model boat. Long story but I hope it helps. pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
222 Posts
Yes a nice big classic Chris Craft. Something in the 40 to 50 inch range. Almost like the S&G craft runabout that was out years ago. We could power it with gas as in weed eater engine, glow engine or new brushless motor. Alot of us have made hulls but stopped short because we have no fittings
Bruce
papower is offline Find More Posts by papower
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:05 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Hi Aprilrose
for my two cents also would like to see more and larger C*C's...but also some more of the other great lakes cruiser...like owens and trojans...theres alot of beautiful boats to choose from...
again ..my two cents
Thanks Ray
Dark_Star is offline Find More Posts by Dark_Star
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:13 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,805 Posts
I'd look to fill a niche that's under served. Maybe a freighter or one of the old passenger ships from the Dollar Line. Those Presidents were fine looking vessels.

Another possibility would be a historic military vessel like the Revenue Cutter Bear or USS Michigan/Wolverine IX 31.

So many ships, so little time. Wood runabouts and cabin cruisers are nice but there is a good selection to choose from already.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:51 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,187 Posts
This

more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:37 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,251 Posts
I'd like to see Dumas come out with a kit for the real tug "Cheryl Ann," which was one of the W/T tugs of the John N. Stewart/Milton S. Patrick design.

At 87' loa, a 1/24 scale model would come out to 43" or so....
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:46 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Aug 2006
82 Posts
I second the Sterling 63' motor yacht!!!a beautiful boat
Capt Cal is offline Find More Posts by Capt Cal
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:27 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,239 Posts
I would like a cargo ship, a three island tramp type.
or a series of martime administration ships, like c-2, c-3, c-4, c-5's
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris