Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
611 Posts
Discussion
Float kit for Hobbyzone Champ

Folks,

I apologize for not replying many emails and PMs for long time. I stopped selling floats since October 2010.

For those of you who are interested, I posted a set of plan that the production version was based on.

following was original post---------------------------------------------------------------------

The floats for Hobbyzone Champ are available for sale. It is made out pink foam with special coating on bottom. Floats are painted black.

The kit contains:
mounting rail assembly with two bent wires
two floats.

Assembly will take less than 10minutes.

The most notable feature is that the floats are interchangeable with stock landing gear. Swapping with stock landing gear will take only 20 seconds, as shown in following video.

I am selling those floats at $25+$5.50 (actual shipping via USPS priority mail in Continental USA). If anybody interested, send me a PM.

Floats are available in Black and unpainted version

link to PDF manual
link to tips on painting unpainted floats

Here is a youtube video showing mounting and ROW.

Float kit for Hobbyzone Champ (production version) (5 min 9 sec)
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Last edited by jingjingjing; Jan 06, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
187 Posts
xlnt work, and great video
RickBee is offline Find More Posts by RickBee
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:41 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
nice. Now I have a reason to buy the Champ. Float planes are cool. This puts them into just about everyones reach.

Good Job! I will be ordering some floats soon.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:05 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
I would be all over these, but there is only 1 spot to ROW around here, and while the pond itself is big enough, I'd have to cut down trees for a path into it.. The Kansas river on the other hand, plenty big & plenty of room, just got learn to slow water currents/rapids down....

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:45 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
I have a few larger float planes and I can tell you after watching that video I'm excited about the Champ now. I just could not justify buying another 3 channel no matter how cool but this one has a unique feature. Micro Float plane capable! That would be something new in my collection of many planes.

Here is a video of my GWS J3 Cub doing a ROW and LOW.
Cub Float perfect ROW (0 min 51 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:04 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
I LOVE the idea, but how about a set for the cub?

Also, all the floats I've ever seen have been bare aluminum. It would be nice to have that color as a base.

I plan to get a champ one of these days, but right now, even in micro sizes I'm getting crowded out of house and home by airplanes. I'm not complaining, except to say that I've got no place to put the durned thing if I get it.

Hmm... I can store floatplanes in the bathtub!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:55 AM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
611 Posts
I feel very lucky to live right next to a lake. This must be the reason why I could pull out some working floats.

Modfly, nice video. I also love GWS floats. My GWS tigermoth 400 equipped with float still flies after 5 years of dipping.

PeteSchug, I also think of light grey which is similar to color of aluminum but Krylon H2O that I am using is very hard to find these days.

Thank you all for the comments and encouragements.

Jin
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:16 AM
Greenville Tx.
Joined Oct 2006
20 Posts
great job Jin, I tried making a set but were too heavy. have you noticed any bad effects on how it flies? Looks like it does just fine even with loops lol.
smoothone is offline Find More Posts by smoothone
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
you've put floats on the champ and the m J-3 cub right?

did the champ handle the extra weight better?
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
heh, I've spent over 20 hours and 3 different designs of floats/prop/flap set ups and I think I'm close to getting it work. Then I see this video and it puts my best design to shame . If I cant get this to work soon expect an order from me lol.
asd9000 is offline Find More Posts by asd9000
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I LOVE the idea, but how about a set for the cub?

Also, all the floats I've ever seen have been bare aluminum. It would be nice to have that color as a base.

I plan to get a champ one of these days, but right now, even in micro sizes I'm getting crowded out of house and home by airplanes. I'm not complaining, except to say that I've got no place to put the durned thing if I get it.

Hmm... I can store floatplanes in the bathtub!

Pete
Guess I'm not the only one eh?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:20 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
611 Posts
Float on Champ is 10% bigger than the one in Cub. It is sized for scale appearance and extra weight of Champ.

Once in the air, I think Cub and Champ handles float very well, but Both Cub and Champ requires steep dive to do a loop, though.

The difference is in ROW. Champ ROWs fine in stock setup but I just couldn't make the Cub ROW without changing prop and cutting out flaps.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:33 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
Float on Champ is 10% bigger than the one in Cub. It is sized for scale appearance and extra weight of Champ.

Once in the air, I think Cub and Champ handles float very well, but Both Cub and Champ requires steep dive to do a loop, though.

The difference is in ROW. Champ ROWs fine in stock setup but I just couldn't make the Cub ROW without changing prop and cutting out flaps.
I've got sentimental reasons for wanting floats on my cub. I think I would stick one of the several little brushless motors I have on it if that's what it needed.

I think I lived half way between City Island NY and Little Ferry NJ, both with active floatplane bases. If I heard a plane and looked up it was at least fifty-fifty that it was a cub on floats. My flying buddy's father also flew one and had lots of stories to tell.

My only lessons in a float plane was in a champ though!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:00 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post

Cool and thank you.

I am at a toss up on the champ or j-3, although your floats have me swinging towards the Champ now.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:04 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I've got sentimental reasons for wanting floats on my cub. I think I would stick one of the several little brushless motors I have on it if that's what it needed.

I think I lived half way between City Island NY and Little Ferry NJ, both with active floatplane bases. If I heard a plane and looked up it was at least fifty-fifty that it was a cub on floats. My flying buddy's father also flew one and had lots of stories to tell.

My only lessons in a float plane was in a champ though!

Pete
I guarantee the cub will ROW with a Mustang motor. No need for Brushless.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN