SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2003, 07:04 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
How much weight does ripstop add to a Mini IFO?

I spent a lot of time trying to make my Mini IFO as light as possible. I removed the connector block, rewired everything with magnet wire, striped the a drive and used saran wrap to cover it. I ended up with a 4 channel Mini IFO that weighs 3.6oz with a 2 cell etec 600 pack. I love the way it flys at this weight, but I'm getting a little irritated with the saran wrap covering. I would like to cover it with ripstop, but I want to add however much weight the ripstop would add, and see how it flys first. Using the wing area and oz/ sq yard I came up with about 1/8oz. Does that sound about right? That doesn't include rudder though.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2003, 07:57 PM
Sedona, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2003
543 Posts
Fixing my IFO today, I was amazed at how hard I had to push the needle thru the ripstop...I fly in the high desert where there's alot of catclaw acacia than snags everything from skin to clothes with seemingly vicious intent...but it can't hook the rip stop.
Suggestion: Lose the saran wrap, lose your landing gear, lose your third servo for the rudder, and run your servo arms thru the ceiling so you don't strip the gears with a belly land, and your mini oughta FLOAT like a bubble
Terry I is offline Find More Posts by Terry I
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
gotta have the rudder. To me, a plane with a 1:1 thrust to weight just isn't as fun with out rudder. I need the LG to mount lights on. I weighed my Mini before and after LG and it was so little weight, that it wouldn't register a change on my scale. It's accurate to 2 grams so it had to weigh less than that.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:34 PM
Sedona, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2003
543 Posts
Gotcha...i've considerably more thrust, which puts us in different chapters of the book. Thanks for bursting my bubble on the 'pound of feathers' I saved by ditching my gear...lol
..hafta get a scale one of these days
Terry I is offline Find More Posts by Terry I
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:39 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
I don't know what Saran Wrap weighs. Ripstop adds roughly 1/2 ounce to the Mini IFO frame. At 33 grams per square meter, it is heavy for indoor use, but its so rugged that it is hard to beat. I think Solite is 10-15g/sq.m, depending on color, so a Mini IFO could save about 0.2-0.3 ounces over Ripstop, if you can live without the durability. My newest Mini has a DC1524 and 3x250 lipoly pack, and will use film instead of Ripstop. I'm shooting for 3.5 ounces RTF. With Ripstop, I'm at 3.85 ounces.
MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
scales are very handy. I got mine at wal mart for $35. Probably not the most accurate in the world, but good enough for park flyers. It was not incredibly helpful when I was doing rffs. 2 grams is alot to those planes.

I actually have around 5oz of thrust. At less than 1:1 is when the rudder is not worth the weight in my opinion. On heavier s300 planes I ususally have rudder no matter what though. Ever since I learned how to use the left stick, I miss the rudder when its not there.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
MKH,
33 grams? Thats well over an oz. Where did you get yours. It lists it as .5oz on flyifo.com. I couldn't afford the small coreless set up. I blew all my spare cash on a razor/etec set up for my Mini Flash. To save weight, I went to extremes on other stuff. I used a dremel tool to cut excess material on my heat sink. I built my own gear box using a broken hornet boom and brass tubing for a shaft. I got the weight of the motor, gear box, prop and heat sink down to an ounce even. I didn't weigh the radio gear before mods, but I bet I saved enough weight to make up for the third servo.