HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:50 AM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,229 Posts
Question
anyone here use rhinocam?

we are trying to cut a bunch of simple parts out of sheet stock, but we cant find an easy way to automatically nest parts and make tabs on them so they dont completely detatch from the sheet stock while being cut.

is there an easy way to do it? not so much nesting, but the tabs would be a great help...

thanks for any input

-david
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:07 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
This may not be the answer you want..but..

I normally use delete subcurve on every single line that needs tabbing..or used to.

However, our laser cutters like PLT format files, and Rhino doesn't do PLT so we import into Corel Draw from DXF's and then output to PLT from that.

It so happens that Corel also has the fasted tabbing tool.

Its the eraser, which can be pre-set to a width and wiped over the part, with two caveats.

Firstly, on complex parts its necessary to select than and make a big part from them - all idea of a collection of curves being and object is lost at DXF level.

Secondly, you must make these unclosed - i.e. 'open' curves or the eraser will not do what you want. That's available as an option on the object properties box.

Using Corel has another advantage: lots of parts appear as very high node count poly-lines: The erasing process causes Corel to recalculate into a much lower number of Bezier nodes and curves.

And the resulting cut files are much smaller and run much faster.

Because of this being a necessary step for us, I have not investigated more efficient Rhino ways to remove line segments. I guess split and delete is an option, bit its still - whatever method you use - tedious hand work.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
145 Posts
I use Rhinocam. V2 has provision for tabs, in v1 there is no simple way to do it within the program.

Lars
LN-JET is offline Find More Posts by LN-JET
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:13 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
940 Posts
devcadcam

i use devcadcam it has got to be the easise 2.5D cam sofware i have used i have devfuzcam as well and that is even better.for full 3D routing mastercam or visualmill all gcod out to mach3

my bigbrother devcdacam 2.mp4 (9 min 54 sec
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Last edited by dpot; Jul 14, 2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:12 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianspork226 View Post
we are trying to cut a bunch of simple parts out of sheet stock, but we cant find an easy way to automatically nest parts and make tabs on them so they dont completely detatch from the sheet stock while being cut.

is there an easy way to do it? not so much nesting, but the tabs would be a great help...

thanks for any input

-david
I don't use RhinoCam but I do use Rhino to create sheets of balsa parts for laser cutting. I usually just make rectangles, say 1/16" width x whatever length, and overlay a bunch of them over my parts on a different layer. Then I use the rectangles to trim the parts. If you select the rectangles by layer you can just use the trim command once. It's a pretty fast process. If desired you could probably even use a command script to make it faster.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:02 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I don't use RhinoCam but I do use Rhino to create sheets of balsa parts for laser cutting. I usually just make rectangles, say 1/16" width x whatever length, and overlay a bunch of them over my parts on a different layer. Then I use the rectangles to trim the parts. If you select the rectangles by layer you can just use the trim command once. It's a pretty fast process. If desired you could probably even use a command script to make it faster.
Now that is worth knowing. I might do that meself.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,229 Posts
thanks guys

i ended up using the trimming method. worked out pretty well, left a .05" sliver between cut lines; enough to easily remove, even on a 1/2" thick part, and more than enough (on MDF anyway) to keep the part in place while it gets cut.

we made 16 of them though, and a wierd thing it did was randomly choose which segments of various parts to cut first. a squiggle here, a squiggle there. aside from losing some time due to rapid-ing to different spots, it worked fine, just funny to watch. random, seemingly.

that script thing sounds interesting... might hafta messa round with that for the next round.

-David
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
145 Posts
I've found that Rhinocam will cut in the order you select. Instead of selecting everything at once, select the line segments in the order you want them cut.

Lars
LN-JET is offline Find More Posts by LN-JET
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:34 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
RHinocam Not.... there are others ( " filou") but RHino is able to do it as long as you are able to write a script for thath purpose ( but that is NOT the easiest way ....)
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,229 Posts
Harpye, pray tell? pleeeeeez?

Lars - ill try the sequential selection approach next time. i had been just grouping the cutlines together and selecting them all with one click. a few more clicks to prevent a manic machine would be fine with me

thanks

-david
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Google for Rhino 101 and you will find RHino Scripting source

In principle you would have to create a parallel spline to the spline you want to cut out ( manual mill radius compensation) .. and you would have to break that compensated spline into elements to create point clouds from (you also could do this by scriptbased retracts in Zaxis... onafter a sequence of regular coded points) writing Gcode from the point cloud would complete the task...

But as Rhino Script is not that well documented you would probably have to try a lot!!!

Hj
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Jul 16, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,229 Posts
thanks guys

NEW QUESTION:

when i post-process the toolpaths into Gcode for mach 3 (but its a mach 2 post), the feed and plunge speeds ALL come out at F20. for example:
i set up the feeds and speeds on rhinocam to be a plunge of 20, and approach and feed etc rates at 50. but when i output the gcode, ALL of the feed commands are at 20.

why is it doing this? are there parameters that i am not correctly defining such that it defaults to F20?

this is very frustrating... thanks again for any help

-david

also, in other news, my machine had a critical failure today. the router mount straps and router cradles cracked and broke loose, leaving the router dangling and dragging across the stock, destroying a section of it... have not decided whether or not to make a new stock block for that part yet.... BUT i have decided to go ahead and make an all aluminum head for the machine at work in the next 1-2 weeks. will help with part accuracy as well.

frustrating day. o well... i think ill go fly for a few minutes.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
940 Posts
can you post gcod file her
is there G0:G01: G02 cods in the file
check out feed settings if feeds from Visualmill are set faster than mach3 then mach3 will override them and set feeds to maxs watch out for steeps mm or cm secs or min
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,229 Posts
im not sure... i cant remember without looking at it

ill take a look tonight and post a few of the files for you to take a look at; ill even take a few screenshots to show you guys what its doing.

thanks

-david
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,229 Posts
sorry for the delay

here are the files for you to take a look at; hopefully you can spot what im doing wrong, or tell me something different to try

thanks

-david

PS

had to change format from .txt to .doc to be able to upload the files. apparently the limit for .txt files is 100kb. for .doc files its 3mb... i guess theyre big files?

thanks for any help