SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Enjoyed seeing Don Srull's Pterodactyl Mk VII in flight in those pictures above. That is another one I have wanted to model over the years.

Have always wondered just how directionally stable it would be on the water. (have never worried aout flying stability...obviously works!).....if a sponson was swamped by a little wave at low speed during takeoff or landing, would the model have enough positive directional stability to hand it?

Looks like a good candidate for a gyro, perhaps....and definitely a good candiate for a rudder/throttle mix.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,927 Posts
I have wondered that too Tom. Like the Dornier flying boat with the sponsons.
I never liked wingtip floats for that same kind of reason, but, figured that sponsons would not have as great a moment arm to work on so might not react to a 'dig' as badly.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:34 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Westland Pterodactyl Mk VII 3 View

This appears to be the only drawing of it on the net.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Sep 27, 2010, 03:53 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
For those interested Laddie Mikulasko did plan around a 60" span version of the Dornier Do 23 powered by Speed 400s. Plan is available via RCM Plans. The "Flying Flapjack" was done as a plan in Q & EFI by Chris Golds and plan is via Traplet. Hope that's helpful.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:40 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
One of my favorites too. I ordered and have the vintage Cleveland Seabee plans which are available in different scales. I believe RCM published Tom Mountjoy's Seabee build article and plans, still available from AMA or some other plans service.
I have traced the Tom Mountjoy plan into Autocad, and started modifying it for electric power. I can not post it here, I guess; if it is still being sold..

I also think an XP-56 is quite good looking, but the original had some troubles - maybe the model could fly better.. It may require some research on the proper airfoil to make it stable; as any flying wing.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:31 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,463 Posts
I've had good luck with my profile/flat flapjack using differential throttle with counterrotating props, and full flying elevons, very quick roll rate and very stable, can hover and do nice stall turns with the differential throttle.

Other nice obscure planes that work as scale profiles, are the vertijet, goblin, natter, Thunderceptor, bomarc, X-3 stilletto, dyna-soar, X-15, and Winged V-2. I've done each of those as profile planes so I know they will fly well.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
After my foam plate 173 was flying fairly well I foolishly tried in under very turbulant conditions and it crashed hard onto pavement destroying the second set of motors. I've installed a 3rd set. These are larger due to suspicions that the second set were over propped. Attempting to fly it again this weekend was marginally sucessfull. Roll control with the full flying elevons is extremely effective. The CG may be too far forward, it's very hard to tell what's going on with it due to the huge amount of propwash it 'flies' at just about any attitude. I also now have yaw issues as the motors do not seem to be well balanced. Destroyed the landing gear trying to get it trimmed but it's still all in one piece and I'll try it more soon.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Sep 27, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:50 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Canadian Vickers Vanessa

Anyone have a 3 view of the Canadian Vickers Vanessa?

Thanks,

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:34 AM
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
460 Posts
I do not, but it looks like a plane from a comic strip...

George
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:38 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
Yes--it is really cute!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
The XB-42 or XB-43 [3-view] would make an interesting subject. Fairly straight forward fuselage and wing forms to model. But the cruciform empennage would be a tricky proposition without undercart. As I'd be interested in PSS application without wheels, the later jet powered development with the big [and very Douglas] fin would be advisable - but a distinctive feature of the prop design would be lost. Might have to work this one out before attempting a build.
Gus Morfis did this for a sp-400. I have it in a model Aviation magazine article. I built the Ted Biggs "arrow" for an ezoner in Va. It had the ventral held with magnets, as did the XB-43 from Gus. http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans05.aspx #978B

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Has the Romanian IAR 80 ever been done? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDEQ9QEwBg
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:32 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx View Post
Has the Romanian IAR 80 ever been done? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDEQ9QEwBg
Funny you brought this up Geoff, I'm in the process of doing this one...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1227712&page=7

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:37 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
I found these free e-books with Bjorn Karlstrom drawings and some photos, on Swedish airplanes. I did not check in detail, I guess they include all airplanes used in Sweden so not only Swedish built ones are there - I have seen some Fokkers. First link is bombers, second one interceptors and third one trainers.

http://mirageswar.com/aircrafts/airc...n-1926-86.html
http://mirageswar.com/aircrafts/airc...n-1926-84.html
http://mirageswar.com/aircrafts/airc...1926-1997.html

The lower right link on the window of the selected ebook leads to the download links (Подробнее).

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx View Post
Well, you could buy a kit from me - but I'm out of stock on this one for a few days...

http://www.warbirdkits.com/IAR-80A/IAR-80.html

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Well, goodness, the IAR isn't as rare as I thought! Even a kit available! I guess I don't get out much. You gonna do a build log on yours, Dean?
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN