HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:29 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
Video
The E-lula Electrified Alula

Here is video of my E-lula electric powered Alula sloper taken by my friend Paul Willenborg. It was shot at the SMALL 2010 flying meet ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144911 ) last June in Arkansas.

I think I was having too much fun to notice the annoying 1/2A's buzzing around during the first flight on the video. My posts about what it took to convert my Alula into the E-lula for flat land start here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957 in the "Alula Teaser" thread in the Slope forum.

Have fun,

Richard Ng

To run the video, you double-click on the "MPG" line at the bottom of this post and wait for the file to download. Once it has finished downloading, you double click on it to run.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Last edited by Richard N; Apr 29, 2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Add video instructions
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:59 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
Cool, Richard! I gotta make it over to SMALL next year. Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:22 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
Gary,

I look forward to seeing you and your airplanes at SMALL 2011.

Richard
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
My Alula shipped today.
Should see it in a few days.

Hey Gary, long time no see.
Still flying up at the Soccer dome if you are ever coming through Missouri again.
I've finally have been able to start going back to SMALL so maybe I'll see you next year

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
Lost in a Thermal

I lost my E-lula in a thermal over Hawk Field in Mansfield, Texas on September 4, 2010.

I let it get a little too high while it was circling with a buzzard in a big thermal. I just started to give it some down to bring it home and lost sight of it and no one else at the electric jet meet could see it either.

I went up the next day with a friend in an Aeronca Champ to look for it and found there is an awful lot of white stuff on the ground that my white topped E-lula could blend in with and gave up after half an hour. A former sailplane pilot friend said that the thermals had been topping out around 5000 feet and if you assumed a conservative 10:1 glide ratio, it could have covered almost 10 miles of flight distance in any direction if it didn't run into another thermal and start another climb. After we ended the search, we flew off to watch full scale sailplanes in Midlothian the rest of the afternoon.

I had been flying it since August 2009 and probably had over 200 flights on it.

I am building a new one with some modifications and a manditiory addition-this one will have my contact information on it. My lost one didn't have this and I suspect that it will stay lost since it doesn't have my phone number on it so its finder could phone home for it.

Richard
Last edited by Richard N; Sep 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:53 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
Bummer!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:10 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Very Cool little Model! I am always looking for smaller models I can carry around with my Bicycle!
Can you please tell what motor and gear you are using in your new project?
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:08 AM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
205 Posts
Alula Electric Video Issue

Hi Folks, just wondered if anyone else had problems getting the video clip (above link) to work once downloaded? many thanks Paul :-)
Cloudriderurt is offline Find More Posts by Cloudriderurt
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:59 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
I just tried it and it works fine on my laptop. You might check to make sure your video player software is playing other .mpg files okay.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:50 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
Very Cool little Model! I am always looking for smaller models I can carry around with my Bicycle!
Can you please tell what motor and gear you are using in your new project?
Arne,

I am going to use a HexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv on a 2S Rhino 750 pack with a CAM 6X6 or 6X3 folding prop and a Castle Phoenix 10 ESC. The motor is easy to get from Hobby King here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5208

The prop is the hardest item to find because of the prop shaft hole size. The diameter of the motor shaft is 2.96mm and the versions of these props available are for the 2.3mm shafts of Speed 400 brushed motors. I used progressively larger drill bits to gradually drill out the shaft hole until I got it to the right inside diameter.

The CAM 6X6 may be very hard to find these days. I bought it from a shop that is long gone and Hobby-Lobby only carries a 6X3. I used the 6X6 because it was the first prop with the right diameter that I dug out and the combination of a an out of production outrunner and a 2S lipo just happened to work perfectly on my airplane.

Richard
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Dec 2002
58 Posts
Electric Alula

Very Cool conversation! I too have had trouble flying the Alula for more then 15 seconds with the SAL. I have ordered the motor and battery to make the conversion!
Sorry you lost your E alula to the Thermal Gods!

Marc V
Smyrna GA ( flat land area)
marcv is offline Find More Posts by marcv
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:59 AM
Joined Dec 2009
78 Posts
do keep us posted

...very interested in the 'lectric Alula, for days when wind/slope are not favorable. Keep us posted as to how your chosen powertrain works, and let us know if you source a prop that fits without drilling.

Also, I'm standardized on Spektrum 2.4; would like to know what servos and or receiver/brick works best in the Alula; most everything I've seen is 72 Mhz.
lornecherry is offline Find More Posts by lornecherry