Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:22 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
I have two new devices ready just haven't updated website and forum

packets receiver/repeater - works best if placed onboard SAR plane, you can cover huge area , the receiver has audio output to connect FPV vid.transmitter and/or can relay RSSI tones to walkie-talkie.
can be used on ground too but digital range not as good as 2way radios, if beacon is flat on the ground digital receiver has to be within ~200m radius to detect packets, then again you have to have walkie-talkie to hear tones or voltmeter to read RSSI.

2nd device is updated beacon, I removed digital option and combined features of two old versions with and without VOX. The beacon can be used normally with startup delay, and interval decay, microphone has no effect.
In VOX mode the beacon outputs clean audio, one can hear on walkie-talkie wind,motor and servos noise, AGC prevents overmodulation. User can set automatic switch over past set delay(same as startup delay), say if entere 1.2 the beacon will start as voice transmitter and switch itself into beacon mode after 50minutes. Code 2.3 keeps microphone running without TX so one can fly with beacon attached to audio input of vid.TX - enjoy regulated gain microphone and past set time the beacon starts to transmit fading tones.
Added 2nd analog input to connect vario or whatever buzzer, when tone is detected microphone muted and walkie-talkie or vid.TX outputs clean tone, I use this scheme for past 3 weeks - very convinient cause my receivers output tones when low.batt or RSSI so don't need OSD anymore.

Last month spent a lot of time testing ifferent versions of beacon and only now is ready to order new PCB w/built-in charger, Latest version analog beacon ship already, it looks just like previous version only couple SMT components added and menu almost match last VOX version.
I love the ingenuity Peter.
1) How much will the Rx/Repeater cost?
2) Is it possible to upgrade the old beacon firmware to send the packets to the beacon?

3) Sorry to keep bothering you with this, but is it possible to send GPS coordinates as morse code?
It is being done very successfully here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthr...etry-reception
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Sep 30, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:45 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Hi, I just placed an order a week ago, can you tell me which version I will be sent? Thanks!
Crashed22 is offline Find More Posts by Crashed22
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:50 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashed22 View Post
Hi, I just placed an order a week ago, can you tell me which version I will be sent? Thanks!
so far I shipped only one newest beacon (Quebec) cause was specifically asked for non-VOX version that's no longer available.
there are no pending orders and all the beacons I ship are mixed packets/analog/VOX type, they can't transmit voice while latest beacon can't send packets.
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Ok, thanks! Looking forward to testing it out. I hate losing my rc gear!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:05 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I love the ingenuity Peter.
1) How much will the Rx/Repeater cost?
2) Is it possible to upgrade the old beacon firmware to send the packets to the beacon?

3) Sorry to keep bothering you with this, but is it possible to send GPS coordinates as morse code?
It is being done very successfully here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthr...etry-reception
Repeater is using transceiver module (not TX only RFM42B), PCB is a bit different and cost higher, older hardware won't work with latest F/W, repeater is using all the ROM , there was no room for full menu and some features left out, lfor example you can't enter 6 digit working frequency but if repeater sees normal beacon it will remember other beacon frequency and if next time you decide to use repeater as beacon last frequency will be used.
I'm still busy with repeater F/W

No plans to connect GPS, hands full w/ ULink UHF LRS and new powerpods
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,235 Posts
I meant how to update the firmware for the old beacon to send out packets that the new Repeater can read?
I need two devices for this, right? The beacon on the plane to send packets AND the new Repeater to hear packets and convert them into RSSI tones/voltage. Do I need to buy both devices together, or can my existing beacon be made to work with the new Repeater?

How much will the Repeater cost?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:42 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I meant how to update the firmware for the old beacon to send out packets that the new Repeater can read?
I need two devices for this, right? The beacon on the plane to send packets AND the new Repeater to hear packets and convert them into RSSI tones/voltage. Do I need to buy both devices together, or can my existing beacon be made to work with the new Repeater?

How much will the Repeater cost?
any beacon w/ CY8C24123A chip (8pin) can be upgraded to digital orvoice version, you have to send in, $15 to cover added parts and return shipping.

I'll post repeater info in a day or two.

yesterday flew small wing without OSD, self-leveling,autopilot at night only by vision and sounds, the wing crashed many times cause I have no experiance flying at night and at 1st had bad illumination. Found the wing every time because of built-in beacon and buzzer.
333g flying wing night FPV w/ 3w flashlight withoutOSD/autopilot (3 min 1 sec)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
So how long does it normally take to receive a package to the us from Israel? Its going on week 3 and the tracking still says origin post is preparing shipment. Thanks.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:43 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
Crashed22, normally I ship same or next day. Your package slowed down probably because of holidays we had (New Year, Yom Kippur). I'm also waiting for some packages longer that usual.

Today I flew new beacon with repeater function, while it was very easy to use on ground riding bicycle with walkie-talkie it was different while in flight. At high altitude RSSI doesn't change for long time and tones become annoying, also pitch too low. Tomorrow I'll test different version - tones will output only if RSSI change 4-5db, single short tone for each step, low for fading RSSI and high for stronger signal, single long tone to indicate very strong RSSI so you know when to go back even if single packet was detected.
I launched with repeater transmitting same frequency and protocol as control channel and crashed. Good thing my wing is unbreakable , quickly entered zero RF power and continued flying with audio tones fed into video TX without interferance. Also I had new video transmitter that gave me unstable picture. hopefully tomorrow will post better video with improved beacon/repeater.
http://youtu.be/Um768wb01cQ
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Thanks, not complaining, just curious as I've never had anything shipped from Israel
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
today I tested new version of beacon-repeater

here is videolink recording (sorry about bad quality) ,
SAR plane is used to locate downed plane (bike in the video) that is equipped with digital long lasting (30day). beacon Packets received well at high altitude, to zoom-in start circling at low altitude,
highest pitch indicate target,
low tones for low RSSI,
short tones indicate constant RSSI while long tones indicate 4-5db signal change.
Beside tones fed into vid.TX the tones can be heard on 2way radio (any walkie-talkie) (repeater ),
if active mode is set as repeater (code 2.2) beacon start-up delay (1.x) used to switch over to beacon mode, if SAR plane goes down it can be found with another repeater.

RSSI tones over vid.TX audio chanel (3 min 39 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:33 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,235 Posts
I found that video a little confusing to figure out the tones and what they were tell you.
I won't be using a SAR plane, so I would like to see the repeater being used on the ground with a walkie-talkie to give RSSI tones. What is the real wold ground range? Earlier you said about a 200m (~600ft) radius, but in the video you were airborne and couldn't get the signal 400ft away. So maybe the ground radius is much less. I'd love to see some tests, and hear the tones, and see the RSSI voltage.

Thanks for all the progress.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
today's test of repeater, still was windy but much better video (27mb)

the beacon+repeater is exact same hardware as my nunchuck+ RC RX, in theory I should receive beacon tones as far as I can fly. But if TX is flat on the ground it's a different story, digital link breaks completely past 200m (received on ground too) while repeater onboard SAR plane the beacon heard few km away even if flat on the ground. You have to fly low to zoom-in

RF beacon located using onboard RX/repeater (1 min 51 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Got mine today, long way to Idaho from Israel. Working perfectly. Building a yagi now for my radio- thank you! Hope to never lose an aircraft again.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:34 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,570 Posts
ground tested the beacon/repeater today;
beacon ground test (4 min 30 sec)

the beacon was about 70cm above the ground that's why working range was 1km+
if the beacon flat in the ground range drops to 300-400m sometimes 100m
at any time one can stop, hold the repeater next to chest blocking RF path hearing tone change every received packed (every second)
If the repeater placed onboard RC plane range grows dramatically (10km+)