HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:48 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
ohh, I dont see a problem with that. Maybe Ibrazy didn't understand you. I think the only issue would be that you would probably need to keep the ground wire perfectly straight or something...
I don't think Alex misunderstood me, I still think it you who misunderstands.
Here is the exchange, read for your self:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
You need to find the ground on the RF resonator that accepts the signal. Servo ground will not work.

-Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess
Great, thank you.
I read someone say that you recommend adding another equal length wire on the other wing that is attached to the RX ground. I could just use a servo plug with only the black wire.
Is that accurate, am I missing something?
So does anyone know where I can find the ground on the RF Resonator?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
I've read posts like some Australian guy pointed Yagi to beacon that was 7km away(he had to climb nearest mountain 1st) and such . After using the beacons for few years I'm sure no mods needed, compact walkie-talkie is all you need. In extreme situation place walkie-talkie onboard EZ* or SW and take it up 300m circle 2km radius - way more effective compared to pointing Yagi while at ground level.
I made digital long lasting beacon with LCD RX a year ago, turned out analog walkie-talkies atleast 20db better sensitivity, I had to put aside "advanced" system cause primitive 3 fading tones was practical and simple, keep your radios unmodified.Invest into video RX Yagi, they're smaller at GHz.and while searching at near range more useful than UHF beacon.
Peter, I want to get more range out of this beacon because if I go down it will likely be in the jungle. My video signal won't last long enough for the search, so a yagi on that probably won't work. I want to be able to climb a hill and point at the beacon like the Aussie guy you mentioned.
I like your idea of flying a recon mission with another FPV plane, but I don't have another operational FPV plane.
Could you point me in the direction of the RF Resonator?

I love the simplicity of your little beacon, sorry for trying to complicate it.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
My beacon has arrived today, thank you Peter.

Now the pack of questions : i will use it with Binatone latitude 100 walkie talkie (Frequency bands 446.00625MHz - 446.09375MHz) , how i can set the frequency of the beacon to 446.00625 for example ?

I have the non vox version of the beacon.

A video tutorial will be aweseome.

Thank you.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
My beacon has arrived today, thank you Peter.

Now the pack of questions : i will use it with Binatone latitude 100 walkie talkie (Frequency bands 446.00625MHz - 446.09375MHz) , how i can set the frequency of the beacon to 446.00625 for example ?

I have the non vox version of the beacon.

A video tutorial will be aweseome.

Thank you.

enter 4,2, to activate PMR presets, if the beacon was on default ch5 (FRS) after entering 4.2 you still have ch5 but PMR, enter 3.3 to set ch3 and so on.

If all 3 tones sound clear and body blocking doesn't work I remove antenna, if antenna is fixed this device may be more useful than bulky Yagi
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,269 Posts
Quote:
enter 4,2, to activate PMR presets, if the beacon was on default ch5 (FRS) after entering 4.2 you still have ch5 but PMR, enter 3.3 to set ch3 and so on.

If all 3 tones sound clear and body blocking doesn't work I remove antenna, if antenna is fixed this device may be more useful than bulky Yagi
Again your eBay link doesn't work. Maybe because we are in different countries?
Please let us know what you were linking to.

Can anyone else open the link, or is it just me?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Gouda
Joined Jun 2011
39 Posts
In Netherlands/Europe, also not...
jacq1954 is offline Find More Posts by jacq1954
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,609 Posts
I haven't tried but pretty sure something like this can detect beacon within 20-40m because the beacon's 1st tone about 10times stronger compared to average spy bug. Search keywords " rf bug detector " - some detectors cost under $6. I think these are good for rough estimate of video TX and RC controller RF output.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:53 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,269 Posts
Quote:
I haven't tried but pretty sure something like this can detect beacon within 20-40m because the beacon's 1st tone about 10times stronger compared to average spy bug. Search keywords " rf bug detector " - some detectors cost under $6. I think these are good for rough estimate of video TX and RC controller RF output.
Very interesting. They don't let you hear the 3 tones, they just sound an alarm if it detects RF. however it has a flashing light that flashes faster when signal strength is stronger, so it should work.
Thanks for this, who going to try it 1st?

I have had great success with my aluminum foil covered cardboard tube to attenuates the signal at close range, so I'm going to pass on the spy bug detector.

I still want a Yagi to hear the beacon at long distances because of the terrain I fly over.
FMKit, do you know how to find the antenna ground on the RF Resonator in the photo I posted a while back? You have only answered that I shouldn't need a Yagi, but never answered my question. Just tell me if you don't know and I'll abandon the project.

Thanks
Last edited by iskess; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Quote:

Ok, this problem is solved, but regarding the startup delay what are the values , for example for 1.2 (default) it is 40 minutes. If i want to have the beacon to transmit after power up, what is the combinatin of clicks ?
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
Ok, this problem is solved, but regarding the startup delay what are the values , for example for 1.2 (default) it is 40 minutes. If i want to have the beacon to transmit after power up, what is the combinatin of clicks ?

to store zero delay enter 1.10

if you want to skip startup delay without changing settings just double click
single click to restart sleep timer (startup delay)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,269 Posts
Quote:
to store zero delay enter 1.10

if you want to skip startup delay without changing settings just double click
single click to restart sleep timer (startup delay)
I have found that a single click is not a reliable way to restart the clock. Does it matter if it's a long or short press?
I have to reconnect the power to be sure to get a restart.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,609 Posts
single click should be less than 1s long, always works for me
maybe corroded contacts inside the button, try solder new one parallel to existing button .
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
fmkit Peter how to buy your beacon?
Li2n is offline Find More Posts by Li2n
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:10 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,609 Posts
order here

now shipping updated version with on-off switch and 300mAh Li-Po

new board, the same good old firmware.

now testing new firmware beacon that transmits mixed digital/analog signals (tones and packets) , works with another beacon setup as repeater onboard SAR plane, just 9g complete repeater !

New board has also expansion port (servo pins) to connect audio buzzer if needed or PWM monitor

Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:28 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,269 Posts
Quote:
order here

now shipping updated version with on-off switch and 300mAh Li-Po

new board, the same good old firmware.

now testing new firmware beacon that transmits mixed digital/analog signals (tones and packets) , works with another beacon setup as repeater onboard SAR plane, just 9g complete repeater !

New board has also expansion port (servo pins) to connect audio buzzer if needed or PWM monitor

Will the battery be able to charge from the Rx via the servo pins?