HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:35 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjett View Post
great idea! I think this would work with the the USB charger that came with my Syma 107 heli. I use a syma lipo to run my beacon and it would be awesome to be able to keep it topped up in flight. Although I fear this would increase my chances of puffing the cell.
The cell should last a year at least, and they cost a couple dollars.
What radio are you using to get a full signal at 1/2 mile range?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
The cell should last a year at least, and they cost a couple dollars.
What radio are you using to get a full signal at 1/2 mile range?
Motorola FRS radio. No detachable antenna
slowjett is online now Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
I've seen pair of Uniden GMR322 at WalMart for $14, these are as sensitive as $100 HAM-radio. Atleast antenna is resonating spot-on FRS channels unlike your old police scanner that has unknown antenna. Try different radio, while airborne all 3 tones should sound clear within 300m , w/beacon on the ground range drops 5 times,
Do you have a link to this radio? I can't find it anywhere. Is this one just as good?
Uniden GMR1235-2 12-Mile 22-Channel FRS/GMRS 2Way Radio / Walkie Talkies
http://bit.ly/POqVLG

How about this one?
It has a removable antenna, but a bit pricier. Worth the extra money?

BaoFeng UV-100 VHF/UHF Dual Band radio transceiver

http://bit.ly/LKFIHa
Last edited by iskess; Jul 12, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
947 Posts
You could always solder an antenna connector
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyFly Hobby ASW28
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:58 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Peter,
I'm ordering these cheap Motorola's unless you advise otherwise.

Are these ok???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00170...dir_mdp_mobile
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:43 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Peter,
I'm ordering these cheap Motorola's unless you advise otherwise.

Are these ok???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00170...dir_mdp_mobile
sure,
btw I have pair of exact same looking radios, Motorola with Uniden PCB inside

ebay has many radios w/ Li-Ion batteries and SMA
My saved search
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:37 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Quote:
sure these Binatone radios will work, I took one of these apart and noticed better build compared to average american FRS radio, there was RF front-end SAW filter and crystals (European standards are tough!) , these radios a bit more sensitive compared to chinese transcievers and mute works very good, my NKT picks noise off adjacent channels (low selectivity). Wikipedia says range of 536km was recorded using PMR radios.
The Binatone radios will be here monday , so now the question is what RF beacon to choose , Vox or No Vox ? Also what frequency do you recommend ?

Are you selling 1s lipo as well ?
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
sure,
btw I have pair of exact same looking radios, Motorola with Uniden PCB inside

ebay has many radios w/ Li-Ion batteries and SMA
My saved search
Thanks for the reply Peter. When I click on your saved search link I get nothing. Which search term are you using? The US eBay site?

I did see a lot of these:
BaoFeng UV-100 VHF/UHF Dual Band radio transceiver
http://bit.ly/LKFIHa

They seem like a great radio for $40. Undercutting the big guys in the HAM world like the Turnigy 9x did in the RC world.
I really want a set of walkies for the family anyway, so I'll go with those Motorola's for now and see how the work. I imagine in a fox hunt for a lost plane, it would be useful to have a couple radios for different people to help triangulate, and be able to communicate between beacon sounds.
Last edited by iskess; Jul 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
The Binatone radios will be here monday , so now the question is what RF beacon to choose , Vox or No Vox ? Also what frequency do you recommend ?

Are you selling 1s lipo as well ?
I went with the non-VOX to lengthen battery life because I might have to wait until the next day to do a search and rescue if it's dusk, and i have some rough terrain here. I have flown (inadvertently) with the beacon blasting away. I keep the radio on to monitor the beacon frequency. I only flew a mile out, but I noticed no drop in RSSI on my Dragon Link that corresponding with the beacon sounds. I was on the DL low power setting using the short antenna. Even if the beacon affects the RC signal at extreme distances, I'm confident I can RTH and have full control back within a few miles of home.
I set my delay for 1hr, and press the button once each time I land to reset the timer.
I'm glad I chose the non-VOX version.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:53 AM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,049 Posts
Quote:
I went with the non-VOX to lengthen battery life because I might have to wait until the next day to do a search and rescue if it's dusk, and i have some rough terrain here. I have flown (inadvertently) with the beacon blasting away. I keep the radio on to monitor the beacon frequency. I only flew a mile out, but I noticed no drop in RSSI on my Dragon Link that corresponding with the beacon sounds. I was on the DL low power setting using the short antenna. Even if the beacon affects the RC signal at extreme distances, I'm confident I can RTH and have full control back within a few miles of home.
I set my delay for 1hr, and press the button once each time I land to reset the timer.
I'm glad I chose the non-VOX version.

Vox version can and will work like the non-vox version as I understand it. You just have the choice of using the mic.

Also RSSI just senses a signal, not necessarily your DL signal, but anything in that band. My RSSI out on my DL no longer work or I'd test it with the DL tx off and se where its at with the beacon going.
slowjett is online now Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjett View Post
Vox version can and will work like the non-vox version as I understand it. You just have the choice of using the mic.
I did not know this. Then why does FMKit encourage people to buy the non-vox unless they have UHF RC? If they both cost the same, and you can turn off the Vox feature, then might as well get it and you could always use it as a spy-mic to see if your wife is cheating on you .

Quote:
Also RSSI just senses a signal, not necessarily your DL signal, but anything in that band. My RSSI out on my DL no longer work or I'd test it with the DL tx off and se where its at with the beacon going.
I'm not sure the point you are making here. That watching my RSSI is or is not a good indicator of whether the Beacon is causing UHF interference to the DL?
I can try it with the Tx turned off and see if the RSSI shows anything other than zero. Even if it does, this doesn't tell us about the amount of conflict is with cause for the DL, just that the Rx picks up the frequency.
I will try this and report back.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
I think its because the non vox version uses less power, thus the runtime is a lot longer. The vox version can be used just like the non vox version, but it uses more power, probably because the mic is still powered...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzguy View Post
Well I'm not sure you will find it under a pile of leaves. The beacon will get you close, but not pinpoint it. Once you get close, you will just hear all 3 tones no matter what direction you face! I use 3 things:

ground station recorder, to record the GPS numbers. view recording to get an idea of where you lost signal.
Beacon, to get you pretty close,
one of those lost plane indicators on board the plane.

This way once I get close, I may be able to hear it. Also if someone else hears it, they may find it and call me (cell phone number also on the plane )
or they might steal your plane....

Peter - can't you use modem like tones with audio decoder to transmit GPS data with analog transmission , like MyFlyDream antenna tracker does, thus increasing the range to what we are used to in analog beacons?
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
or they might steal your plane....

Peter - can't you use modem like tones with audio decoder to transmit GPS data with analog transmission , like MyFlyDream antenna tracker does, thus increasing the range to what we are used to in analog beacons?
we talked about that before. Its more trouble than its worth... the beacon works very well already, adding gps would make it bigger, shorter battery life, etc, etc....
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Hi Peter, i've just made a paypal payment for a no vox RF beacon(i specified that i will use binatone walkie talkies).

Can you please check your Paypal ?

Are you selling also 1s battery for the beacon ?

Thank you.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo