HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,031 Posts
I put my beacon in an old pill bottle. Protects it from water very well! Easy to take the cap off to plug/unplug it.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
I put my beacon in an old pill bottle. Protects it from water very well! Easy to take the cap off to plug/unplug it.
Good idea. Do you put the battery in there too? Did you poke a hole and let the antenna hang out?
Maybe I can cut a big circle in the foam and insert the canister so only the cap protrudes from the fuselage. I would like to find something lighter than a pill bottle.
Any other mounting ideas out there, photos?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,031 Posts
I put the battery in the pill bottle also. Currently keeping the antenna inside, although I'm not sure how much that cuts down on range. I'll be doing some "Hide and seek" with my plane with the beacon in it soon. Gonna have my wife hide my plane, with the beacon in it, and see if I can find it.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
891 Posts
Hey there. Some months ago I tried to copy your UHF system and bought the same MIDLAND walkie talkies you had. I never got around trying it. Now I will order dragon link (not sure if I get used version1 or new version2).
Anyway I thought I could put new use to the walkie talkies and buy one of your RF beacons.. I have a few questions about it:

Does your RF beacon "interfer" with dragon link ?
Will it work with my Midland LXT335 ?
Can I install a directional antenna (yagi, biquad?) to LXT335 in order to improve the locating process ?
When will you ship the newest verison ?

Thanks!
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyFly Hobby ASW28
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_LaLanne View Post
Hey there. Some months ago I tried to copy your UHF system and bought the same MIDLAND walkie talkies you had. I never got around trying it. Now I will order dragon link (not sure if I get used version1 or new version2).
Anyway I thought I could put new use to the walkie talkies and buy one of your RF beacons.. I have a few questions about it:

Does your RF beacon "interfer" with dragon link ?
Will it work with my Midland LXT335 ?
Can I install a directional antenna (yagi, biquad?) to LXT335 in order to improve the locating process ?
When will you ship the newest verison ?

Thanks!
I just did some range testing with my DragonLink and UHF beacon. I did find that when at the edge of the range and the beacon sounded it would make the DL go into Failsafe, however the range check was still excellent even with the beacon.
In conclusion, I'm not worried should the beacon activate while flying, unless I'm pushing very long distances. Even if it does, I will only Failsafe every 4 seconds, and that should allow me to head home, especially with RTH. I will regain control when I get a bit closer. All tests were at the new lower power setting of the DL v2.

Peter, I am looking forward to your new version with the automatic charging feature. How's that coming?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:08 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I just did some range testing with my DragonLink and UHF beacon. I did find that when at the edge of the range and the beacon sounded it would make the DL go into Failsafe, however the range check was still excellent even with the beacon.
In conclusion, I'm not worried should the beacon activate while flying, unless I'm pushing very long distances. Even if it does, I will only Failsafe every 4 seconds, and that should allow me to head home, especially with RTH. I will regain control when I get a bit closer. All tests were at the new lower power setting of the DL v2.
waah this would totally freak me out. I don't want my rx to go failsave. What's up with the beacon detecting rx signal loss and only then going to send its ping ?
edit: peter overclocks camcorders, makes rc links from walkie talkies, etc. I'm sure it would be child's play for him
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:00 AM
Russia, Klin
Joined Nov 2010
88 Posts
Поисковый маяк Петра (fmkit RF beacon) (5 min 20 sec)
KIR2142 is offline Find More Posts by KIR2142
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,554 Posts
Gents,
No problem really. Peter has a simple built in mode for insuring the beacon does not interfere with your Rx's. Just set the delay or use the VOX mode to keep it from activating until it is lost or on the ground
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
waah this would totally freak me out. I don't want my rx to go failsave. What's up with the beacon detecting rx signal loss and only then going to send its ping ?
edit: peter overclocks camcorders, makes rc links from walkie talkies, etc. I'm sure it would be child's play for him
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:52 AM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIR2142 View Post
nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Gents,
No problem really. Peter has a simple built in mode for insuring the beacon does not interfere with your Rx's. Just set the delay or use the VOX mode to keep it from activating until it is lost or on the ground
Cheers,
Jim
Thanks. Could somebody explain what's VOX mode ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,554 Posts
J,
Basically as long as there is motor or wind noise the beacon will not transmit.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
nice

Thanks. Could somebody explain what's VOX mode ?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:55 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Hi all,
i want to buy a RF beacon in the future, but before that i must buy a set of walkie talkies.

What type of walkie talkie do you use with the RF beacon(from where did you bought it) ?

Thank you.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:18 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,619 Posts
the beacon works with all walkie-talkies and police scanners
some radios have removable antenna - makes locating easier when near target and all tones received clear.
I have few 2-way radios, cheap and expensive
when going to fly take with me most compact NKT-R3
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:30 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
the beacon works with all walkie-talkies and police scanners
some radios have removable antenna - makes locating easier when near target and all tones received clear.
I have few 2-way radios, cheap and expensive
when going to fly take with me most compact NKT-R3
I made a quick search on ebay and i found these one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NKT-NKT-R3...#ht_2926wt_952

should i buy one ?

I saw that the radio is working with frequency between 400-470Mhz , the UHF beacon with frequency between 240-930.000MHz , as far as you know these frequence is lequal in Europe ? Or in other words , what frequency should i use?

Thank you.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:45 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,619 Posts
in Europe use PMR (446MHz) and LPD (433)
beacon's menu system has no limits - you can set 240-930
if out 400-470MHz RF much attenuated by LowPassFilter
if you're good with SMT rework bypass the filter
all walkie-talkies fall into beacon filtered band and no mod is needed.

NKT-3R was good 3 years ago, today for the same money one can buy dual-band VHF/UHF maybe even more compact.
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
in the next 5-6weeks I'll offer new version beacon w/ onboard Li-Po charger and battery,
connect to RX aileron or throttle channel via Y-cable, the beacon will monitor PWM and if static for too long or no PWM will go off

Meanwhile I fitted micro JST on existing board, if you got some fingernails it's easy to insert/pull Li-Po without stressing its wire

With 300mAh the beacon can easily live 48hours up to week (set longer starting interval)
Peter,
How is this project coming? I am considering making a charging circuit for mine, but if you are working on it, I will focus my energy on another project. Yours will be much better!
Have you decided how to handle the PWM trigger with a Failsafe? Can we set a channel to a certain position (RTH), to trigger the beacon, after a programmable delay period (for UHF RC).
Thank you for your continued support with the beacon.