HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:41 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Interesting. All my beepers are triggered by the absence of a signal. I would need to find one that does the opposite. Do you have a source? I like your idea, at least with my Nova, I am planning on upgrading to the DOSD, so I'm not sure if it would work yet.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:21 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Interesting. All my beepers are triggered by the absence of a signal. I would need to find one that does the opposite. Do you have a source? I like your idea, at least with my Nova, I am planning on upgrading to the DOSD, so I'm not sure if it would work yet.
If I can find it, ill throw a link up. I bought it from HK.
Instead of the in/out lead, it just has the one servo lead, and is intended to be plugged into an rx channel, to be controlled manually.

Edit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14521

If/when I fly longer distances, I reckon the buzzer combined with RF beacon would be a great combo, beacon would get you quite close, and the buzzer would do the rest once within ~50m. Buzzer is fairly loud, for best results I mount mine on outside of fuse.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Last edited by sammyc; Jun 05, 2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added link
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
in the next 5-6weeks I'll offer new version beacon w/ onboard Li-Po charger and battery,
connect to RX aileron or throttle channel via Y-cable, the beacon will monitor PWM and if static for too long or no PWM will go off
Quote:
The only problem I see is that if the RX goes to failsafe, the beacon won't go off until the main battery completely dies, and that could take an unknown period of time.
What if you could set the failsafe to trigger the alarm. You could use a Y cable off the OSD control, and when your failsafe commands RTH mode, it would also trigger the beacon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Two recommendations:

1) Don't start trasmitting RIGHT AFTER failsafe. When you get failsafe first time, you try to recover airplane from that. If something starts at the same time transmit UHF close the UHF rx, your chances to re-gain control are miserable.

2) Take out connector for firmware upgrade for those who "know what they are doing". It's easier and much faster than to send you the beacon for updates
Peter, I am excited about your upcoming revision with battery charging and PWM monitor. Will you be able to incorporate the ideas above? A trigger tied to failsafe, but with a time delay to allow for trying to regain control with a UHF RC unit?
Last edited by iskess; Jun 17, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
I got my Beacon today, only took 2 weeks to Hawaii. I have a couple questions:

1) It seems to transmit a beep once every 20 seconds in standby mode. I fear this could interfere with my DragonLink. Can this be turned off? I suppose it is just to tell you that it is on standby.

2) What does 4 beeps with no pause mean?

3) Is there any updated manual? The one on the website is for old firmware. I have been trying to cut and paste info from different posts, but I wonder if anyone has already written a manual for it.

4) The signal seems too strong because I can hear all 3 beeps with the antenna off for a long distance. Would it be appropriate to decrease the RF Power using mode 7.x? Has anyone tried this and had success? How much range will it give up, and will it inprove battery life?

Thank you.
Last edited by iskess; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Please diregard #1 & 2 above.
#1) That was my scanner low battery alarm.
#2) I believe 4 beeps means battery is full.
Last edited by iskess; Jun 17, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:17 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,666 Posts
Quote:
I got my Beacon today, only took 2 weeks to Hawaii. I have a couple questions:

2) What does 4 beeps with no pause mean?
The beacon has built-in battery tester and low-voltage cut-off to protect Li-Po
when you connect power first beeps and blinks indicae cell status, 4 mean "full"
Quote:
3) Is there any updated manual? The one on the website is for old firmware. I have been trying to cut and paste info from different posts, but I wonder if anyone has already written a manual for it.
compared to old beacon there is no 4th tone, other than that instruction shoud be OK
Quote:
4) The signal seems too strong because I can hear all 3 beeps with the antenna off for a long distance. Would it be appropriate to decrease the RF Power using mode 7.x? Has anyone tried this and had success? How much range will it give up, and will it inprove battery life?
if you bought that old police scanner off ebay it may pick signals without antenna within 50-70meters because old BNC connecors were not so good shielded compared to moder compact radios with SMA connector. Put the beacon on ground and walk away 50m or more, while hearing last tone turn around 360 degre you'll hear 3rd tone breaks when radio is blocked w/your body

RF power menu used for continues mode (data,ppm,alarm), in beacon mode keep default setting "6"
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:09 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
The beacon has built-in battery tester and low-voltage cut-off to protect Li-Po
when you connect power first beeps and blinks indicae cell status, 4 mean "full"

compared to old beacon there is no 4th tone, other than that instruction shoud be OK

if you bought that old police scanner off ebay it may pick signals without antenna within 50-70meters because old BNC connecors were not so good shielded compared to moder compact radios with SMA connector. Put the beacon on ground and walk away 50m or more, while hearing last tone turn around 360 degre you'll hear 3rd tone breaks when radio is blocked w/your body

RF power menu used for continues mode (data,ppm,alarm), in beacon mode keep default setting "6"
Thank you for your response Peter.
I will try to wrap my old police scanner in aluminum foil to see if that cuts down the signal. Let me know of any more tricks you might have.

What is Alarm mode for?
What can be done with a PPM stream from the model?

Thank you.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:42 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your response Peter.
I will try to wrap my old police scanner in aluminum foil to see if that cuts down the signal. Let me know of any more tricks you might have.

What is Alarm mode for?
What can be done with a PPM stream from the model?

Thank you.
in Alarm mode tones output if input pin change its state, say you have some RX where solid light indicates good link and blinking light for broken link, connect the beacon to that LED the every time LED blinks your walkie-talkie will sound.

2 years ago I use walkie-talkies as RC RX, you can get enormous range with Motorola and Midland 2-way radios. Back then it was convenient to take RF beacon board, set whatever frequency,deviation and transparent FSK mode to get perfectly modulated PPM. No more PPM for me, my ULink UHF LRS is 6 times more responsive than any other UHF system (less than 4ms latency) and literally capable of hundreds channels because of compression /multiplexing.
My smallest wing has LED strobes,fireworks igniters, video switcher,multiple pan/tilt modes all controlled with only two buttons. Not possible with PPM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
[QUOTE=kirk222;16087004]FMKIT posted this pic another forum. Also look up information about radio 'Fox Hunting'.[/QUOTE
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3483526

I was still having trouble with hearing all 3 beeps from too far away with my old scanner with BNC antenna removed.
Then I found this old post and made a tin foil tube to block the signal. I can now control the signal strength very well. Cheap and easy solution.
Last edited by iskess; Jun 18, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:49 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Quote:
1) For my old style Realistic police scanner, what 6.x deviation should I use?
2) I'm having trouble understanding single clicks. When I click once I get 4 flashes, (which tells me the battery is charged). How do I check what the 1.x Startup Delay is set to? How do I reset the timer? I fly UHF so it is critical I understand the reset function.
Similarly, if I click 2 times it skips the timer. How do I check the 2.x Duty Cycle setting?
3) I have 8.2 set which should keep the LED from flashing in standby, but when I single click to reset the timer, the LED continues to flash. The LED only stays dark if I replug the battery. Is this the way it is meant to work?
Thank you.
Last edited by iskess; Jun 18, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:03 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,666 Posts
Quote:
1) For my old style Realistic police scanner, what 6.x deviation should I use?
2) I'm having trouble understanding single clicks. When I click once I get 4 flashes, (which tells me the battery is charged). How do I check what the Startup Delay is set to? How do I reset the timer? I have 8.2 set which should keep the LED from flashing in standby, but when I single click to reset the timer, the LED continues to flash. The LED only stays dark if I replug the battery. Is this the way it is meant to work?
Thank you.
When LED is turned off via menu the beacon works normal right afret button was clicked, you have to reboot then LED is off as long as button un
sed, otherwise it would be hard to change settings without feedback.l

when sleeping LED strobes its delayed start setting - single blinks for 20minutes, fast double blink for 40m and so on

you can single click anytime to restart sleep and get battery status
double click to wake up .
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:49 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Ok, the standby strobe pattern tells me the sleep setting, very clever! It flashes so fast however I cant count them. It still gives me an idea though.
What is the max delay?
Confirm that each unit is :20 mins or :15 mins.
What is the decay curve preset to? Can it be changed in the settings?

Any advice for protecting from rain? If I crash and it rains, will that kill the beacon? Ever wet one to test it? I need to mount outside to access the button, battery, and see LED.

Thanks for supporting all these questions.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Ok, the standby strobe pattern tells me the sleep setting, very clever! It flashes so fast however I cant count them. It still gives me an idea though.
What is the max delay?
Confirm that each unit is :20 mins or :15 mins.
What is the decay curve preset to? Can it be changed in the settings?

Any advice for protecting from rain? If I crash and it rains, will that kill the beacon? Ever wet one to test it? I need to mount outside to access the button, battery, and see LED.

Thanks for supporting all these questions.
while sleeping clock comes from very low power resistor/capacior oscillator - not crystal ! That's why actual delay may be 21 or 19 minutes instead of 20, also error can change with temperature.
Max delay is 20x 9=3hours,
decay is not adjustable, interval grows 1s every 20minutes for 5hours

right after reading your post I took camera and beacon, tested few minutes ago:
fmkit RF beacon soaked (1 min 6 sec)

in youtube video description wrote:
the RF beacon is low volage device powered by 1S Li-Po
salt water kills all electronics even while unpowered
sweet water apparently does no harm, even so radio stops receiving the circuit is alive just off frequency because of wet crystal and it loading capacitors change value.

if you seek the beacon in rain and getting distorted or breaking tones tune your scanner few kHz down.
Last edited by fmkit; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,326 Posts
Peter, Thank you for the fast response and product testing video, that was great. I won's worry about the rain too much. Maybe I'll heat shrink it with a clear tube.

I have 2 remaining questions:
Earlier I posted,
"1) For my old style Realistic Pro-38 police scanner, what 6.x deviation should I use?"

2) I'm having trouble figuring out how to mount the beacon because the micro battery connector is soldered in the bottom, and I would need to access it to remove/recharge the battery. I want to hot glue the beacon down so it doesn't get damaged in a crash. Maybe I need an extension cable, but I hate to add more potential failure points. I think in the future its better to have power wires attached to the PCB rather than the micro connector, this will allow the PCB to sit flat.
Any mounting advice?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,666 Posts
for long time the beacons shipped with JST connectors that weigh as much as the beacon and some guys sooner or later connect 2s or 3s instantly killing the beacon

I got stock of mini-JST connectors and Li-Pos but the board was not designed for mini connectors so you see them "on wrong side", next revision will look better.

Solder whatever connector you like.

As for proper deviation think of it as volume, if it sounds too loud/distorted set lower number
Normally set 2 for cheap walkie-talkies and 3 or 4 for scannersand HAM radios.
I don't know what's best way to mount the beacon, all my UHF LRS receivers have beacon function as part of FW so I don't have to fly with extra hardware