plenty of stock, ship same or next day
when checking out note "vox"
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:49 PM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
359 Posts
I ordered before some others, and they got theirs. Any word on my order about 5-8 days or more ago? Thanks.
Tom
15tommy@earthlink.net
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:27 PM
Zyphyr FPV buser
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Just ordered the VOX version, fmkit. with notes on order. I hope I am not loosing some functionality by getting the VOX version. Kind of looked like you could set the vox version to VOX or Beacon. Is this right? Are the two units identical except for # of presets and Microphone component? Anyway, learned of this locator Beacon at a RAR mission we are presently conducting in Utah, high on a mountains, and the plane didn't have one of these simple solutions. Been a week and we are still looking, the timer is ticking and $1000 is in the balance.

On another note, many are making their own antennas for all uses FPV. FMKIT, question for you. Is it possible to come up with a similar product that you set the frequency like this beacon, but it has a wider frequency range for the purpose of transmitting a tone to tuning/testing our homemade antennas?
MileHunter is offline Find More Posts by MileHunter
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:00 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
VOX beacon has microphone amplifier that constantly samples noise level, it draws few mA while non-VOX beacon needs nano-Amper thus can ran 4 times longer on same battery.
wind noise blocking beacon from going off so no failsaves can happen if flying UHF LRS.
those with regular beacon have to reset sleep timer every take-off.

I use nunchuks and RC receivers that can be tuned to every UHF frequency and telemetry data shows how good each antenna is.
To tune video-transmitter antenna I use simple dipole loaded w/ small lightbulb
tuned antenna can be used on receiver then I tune another dipole for TX.
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:00 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
Please, can anyone suggest suitable and small directional (yagi?) antenna? I've got only omnidirectional and for seeking it's not the best one... Thanks in advance!
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:47 PM
Zyphyr FPV buser
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
My friend that showed this new beacon to me was experimenting with a coil just a little bigger diameter than the spring on a pen with about 15 coils, may be worth a test.
MileHunter is offline Find More Posts by MileHunter
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Please, can anyone suggest suitable and small directional (yagi?) antenna? I've got only omnidirectional and for seeking it's not the best one... Thanks in advance!
You can seek without a directional antenna, using body fade, a good variable squelch on the radio does help here. Thats the point of these beacons, you dont need to carry a bulky directional antenna in order to locate.

If your frequency of operation is around the 430Mhz region, there are heaps of self assembly or ready built yagi antennas out there as its close to the maateur 70cm band.

For a ready made colapsible and portable yagi, the arrow antenna is hard to beat, although it should not be needed in most cases.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Please direct me to the store that sells these?RF beacon
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:23 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
Thanks! this looks like a Cheap way to find your quad
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:39 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Hi G,
I've been using FMKit's various beacon versions for a couple of years on my multicopters. They work well and have helped me recover a them a couple of times now. I recommend several practice beacon locations to get to know the distance and close in antenna shielding technique. Be sure to check your lipo for proper charge before flying somewhere it might get lost. For the best chance at recovery, plan for some kind of redundancy with a second system and a note with your phone number to insure location. A backup lipo alarm/lost model alarm is good to have too.
Cheers,
Jim
See the Locator section in the
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Thanks! this looks like a Cheap way to find your quad
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:58 AM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Vence
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Hi,

is there any way to use on radio free channel in order to disable the beacon while flying. When crashed the ppm signal won't maintain (if failsafe is configured this way) so the beacon would starts its activity ?

I already have a loud beeper when my radio signal is lost (its ok for short range plane research) so the VOX version will not suits if i have understood the way it is working.

Thanks in advance.
Capitaineflam25 is offline Find More Posts by Capitaineflam25
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaineflam25 View Post
Hi,

is there any way to use on radio free channel in order to disable the beacon while flying. When crashed the ppm signal won't maintain (if failsafe is configured this way) so the beacon would starts its activity ?

I already have a loud beeper when my radio signal is lost (its ok for short range plane research) so the VOX version will not suits if i have understood the way it is working.

Thanks in advance.
Wind noise is very clear indication that model is flying, the beacon does nothing on LED is slowly strobing. If no noise detected for solid 10s-1minute (you set) LED starts to blink short in between series of fading tones (TX on) and solid while transmitting. You onlly need to connect battery.

Non-VOX version has to be reset every take off, kind of pain but power consumption minimal - 10gram 1S can run for two days because of decay interval,it slowly grows reaching 25s after 5 hours.

VOX beacon has tons of uses, it is real voice transmitter, can be used to detect sudden noise or sudden silence - wireless alarm, you set normal or inverted VOX.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Vence
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Thanks a lot for your answer fmkit,

2 days autonomy for the non-VOX version is for a 160mAh 1S ?
On your product page you're talking about 6 hours for the VOX version, can we say that the non-VOX is 4 time more energy efficient than the VOX one ?

Yesterday i lost my plane 1km away from the launch point, my computer stops recording due to a crash so i didn't have the last latitude/longitude from my OSD.
I finally find it visually after coming back to the mountain and hiking for 3 hours.
I had a loc8tor on the fuselage but it didn't helps me a lot since the range is a bit poor in my opinion.

According to that experience i think i would rather take the non VOX version to have more time for the researchs.
Capitaineflam25 is offline Find More Posts by Capitaineflam25
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined May 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Check below Link. It's very simple and easy to make.

http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?che...for-vhf-uhf,93

I made my yagi using 1/3" brass rod. It works fine.
k6821340 is offline Find More Posts by k6821340