HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Do you mean L1d can supply power for beacon ? Ask trappy if his PCB can source 4Volt/0.1A
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
set frs to ch 5 ,i have not touch/press the button..when plug into a 1s lipo a loud tone is sounded..the beacon was 25ft across the hall..i can see the led blinking every second..
waited 15min..then i get a tone, then i do not hear anymore tone, even when i get close to it..just that one tone at 15min mark.. the led now flashes and . while typing i'm pass 30min. did not get anymore tone..
i'll try again with another fresh lipo..
fmkit.. still same senario with a fresh lipo..
when it stay lit every 5 sec. at 5 sec. interval. i'm think its transmitting yes or no??? i understand the 15min delay..should it transmit continously after..can you show how i can transmit continously..

i've run it over an hour now still no tones..only at that 15min. mark..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
48 Posts
FMkit I have tried 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, all the way up to 6-9 and no tones. I have unplugged the beacon and held the button down while powering up many times, I still only get a dead, still carrier, no tones. Are the beacons checked prior to shipping? Have you ever heard of a beacon giving a good strong carrier w/no tone before this one?

The beacon always repeats my inputs as flashes so I know it is taking my requests.

Further instruction?
MK Ohio guy is offline Find More Posts by MK Ohio guy
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
fmkit.. still same senario with a fresh lipo..
when it stay lit every 5 sec. at 5 sec. interval. i'm think its transmitting yes or no??? i understand the 15min delay..should it transmit continously after..can you show how i can transmit continously..

i've run it over an hour now still no tones..only at that 15min. mark..
it is transmitting ! Have you done reset ? if yes set your walkie -talkie ch5 FRS, I shipped few beacons tuned to frequencies noted in order. If you asked specific channel and didn't reset the beacon it's not tuned ch5.

enter code 4.1 >> sets FRS standard
then enter 3.x where x is channel number

to transmit continously:
enter 5.2 for FSK dato mode (can transmit PPM too)
or enter 5.6 to transmit audio connected direct to crystal (22k/1n series)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Ohio guy View Post
FMkit I have tried 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, all the way up to 6-9 and no tones. I have unplugged the beacon and held the button down while powering up many times, I still only get a dead, still carrier, no tones. Are the beacons checked prior to shipping? Have you ever heard of a beacon giving a good strong carrier w/no tone before this one?

The beacon always repeats my inputs as flashes so I know it is taking my requests.

Further instruction?
sure all transmitters checked prior shipping
I can't explain why yours doesn't modulate,
have to send replacement and check firmware
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
Do you mean L1d can supply power for beacon ? Ask trappy if his PCB can source 4Volt/0.1A
I do not need the L1D to power the beacon. The L1d has a three wires that would normally be the audio output to a FPV tx system. I want to use these outputs as if it were a microphone for the beacon. Would all three wires need to be connected to the beacon? If not, would I just terminate the power wire since I am powering the L1d at 7.4v and the beacon at 3.7v?

http://www.lastonedown.com/manual.pdf
Check out diagram on the top of page 3. I want to hook the vtx wires into the beacon.
rscarawa is offline Find More Posts by rscarawa
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:25 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscarawa View Post
I do not need the L1D to power the beacon. The L1d has a three wires that would normally be the audio output to a FPV tx system. I want to use these outputs as if it were a microphone for the beacon. Would all three wires need to be connected to the beacon? If not, would I just terminate the power wire since I am powering the L1d at 7.4v and the beacon at 3.7v?

http://www.lastonedown.com/manual.pdf
Check out diagram on the top of page 3. I want to hook the vtx wires into the beacon.
I've just checked the pdf,

connect the beacon to speaker wire (not microphone port !)
or "VTX Audio"
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:33 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
Since the speaker port only has two wires, I will put the resistor and capacitor inline with the red wire and run the negative to the ground on the Beacon.

Thx.

Scot
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
48 Posts
it is transmitting ! Have you done reset ? if yes set your walkie -talkie ch5 FRS, I shipped few beacons tuned to frequencies noted in order. If you asked specific channel and didn't reset the beacon it's not tuned ch5.

The beacon is set to channel 5

I did both and still get dead carrier, no tones.

to transmit continously:

Because I have a loud clear dead carrier I believe the beacon to be defective. There appears to be no attempt to generate a tone as there is no static.
MK Ohio guy is offline Find More Posts by MK Ohio guy
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
Peter,
I have my initial soldering work done. How so I turn off the beacon notices and yet still transmit continuously? Do I need to enter a certain mode so the sound sent to the beacon is txmitted clearly?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:44 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Ohio guy View Post

The beacon is set to channel 5

I did both and still get dead carrier, no tones.

to transmit continously:

Because I have a loud clear dead carrier I believe the beacon to be defective. There appears to be no attempt to generate a tone as there is no static.
How do you enter 5.6? At what point? Looking for documentation on this.

Thx
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
I think I have it figured out after a small fire. Testing now.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:00 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,510 Posts
Quote:
I think I have it figured out after a small fire. Testing now.
I'm kinda glad mine hasn't arrived yet, letting you all get the bugs worked out

Rscarawa, thanks for a good chuckle. Hope it works for ya
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:04 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Quote:
How do you enter 5.6? At what point? Looking for documentation on this.

Thx
just push button 5 times pause for a second and push 6 times
wait 4s till LED repeat your entry, if numbers match the transmitter is ready
note: LED is normally off while in audio mode
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Joined Jan 2005
1,009 Posts
I got it to work. Soldering next to that crystal is pretty hard. Not much contact on the board to put an iron to. I did take a way a little plastic from the crystal base to get more solder contact area too.

Now that fire issue. I am not an electronics expert but I learned a lesson today. It was my master plan to power the L1d and the Beacon with the same 2s battery. I have a 430 mah lipo that I wanted to use. I figured I could use both cells to power the L1d and break into the balance tap, grabbing one cell to power the beacon. After about 5 seconds of this, my negative wire on the L1d, beacon and beacon/L1d bridge started smoking. I pulled the power from the L1D and the beacon and tested both individually. They both still work. So much for that slick idea. I need to find a small single cell lipo to power the beacon for now on.

Peter,
When transmitting audio, is there a way to turn off vox? Can I set the transmission power of the beacon? I see that 7.something controls power. WHat are the different settings and what is default?

"6.x deviation
7.x power
8.x crystal trim(default 4) "
Last edited by rscarawa; Nov 13, 2010 at 05:30 PM.