HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:58 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Discussion
Fast food that you just can't do without.

What's you're favorite fast food?
I know they are all bad for you but...
I just love the Carl's Jr burgers they are all pretty darned good, mostly the Famous star without cheese and... I like KFC but I only go there once a year at most.

I was a big Taco Time fan because they had a real salsa bar but they have locally changed into an Arby's so it's now too far a drive to consider.

Arby's is fun occasionally.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:00 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I can't eat so called 'fast food' - it's pretty much all crap - used to love it - weaned myself off it and now I've no idea how I ate it!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
My newest fave, (and it's authentic and healthy) is Burritos Amigos and their clones/spawn franchise. i.e. Burrito Brothers etc.

Great place for Mexican fast food here in Oregon.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:16 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
I can't eat so called 'fast food' - it's pretty much all crap - used to love it - weaned myself off it and now I've no idea how I ate it!
It must be about six years since I've set foot inside a burger joint and I have no desire to visit one again. It was the telly programme showing the operations behind the scenes that put me off and so I just stopped right there and then, no weaning at all. The last fast food chain I visited would be KFC, on the services in Dundee, a few months ago, but it's pretty grim and I can't face the greasy chicken portions.

I do have fish and chips from the chippy, if I'm home and haven't got a meeting on band practice night, as a fish supper has become something of a traditional family treat. It can't be described as fast food these days though. With the price of fish every piece is cooked to order, so that means waiting whilst they do that. Used to be that they'd always have a dozen fish on standby, ready to go.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
It must be about six years since I've set foot inside a burger joint and I have no desire to visit one again. It was the telly programme showing the operations behind the scenes that put me off and so I just stopped right there and then, no weaning at all. The last fast food chain I visited would be KFC, on the services in Dundee, a few months ago, but it's pretty grim and I can't face the greasy chicken portions.

I do have fish and chips from the chippy, if I'm home and haven't got a meeting on band practice night, as a fish supper has become something of a traditional family treat. It can't be described as fast food these days though. With the price of fish every piece is cooked to order, so that means waiting whilst they do that. Used to be that they'd always have a dozen fish on standby, ready to go.
What telly programe?
Food Inc.?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:22 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:

Ah - I do have 'a penchance' for good old Fish and Chips, but they DO have to be good (chip shops in North Wales are absolutely awful in the main - oddly for a holiday region)>
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:26 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Don't recall the name of it, but they went undercover into all the major chains, showing the standards of hygiene that were typical and the behaviour of bored teenage minimum wage employees behind the scenes. I'm not particularly squeamish about hygiene standards -for instance I've happily eaten in an African restaurant with mice climbing all over the furniture - but when it comes to consuming a variety of someone else's bodily fluids deliberately put in the food for a giggle I'll pass.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:30 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Ah - I do have 'a penchance' for good old Fish and Chips, but they DO have to be good (chip shops in North Wales are absolutely awful in the main - oddly for a holiday region)>
There's a very good chippy in Conway, just around the corner from the smallest house in Wales. It's a sit-down place and you go up a narrow flight of stairs to the restaurant. That's not bad.

We visited the original Harry Ramsden's in Guisely, near Leeds, the other week. The pictures on the wall of the time in the thirties when they broke the world record for sales of fish and chips are pretty amazing. They also boasted of the largest ever single order of fish and chips - 470 servings - for a detachment of the Army who sent out for a take-away! Imagine being in the queue behind the Private who got sent out for that lot .
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:06 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Lately, the Sonic is very close, and they have this buy one get one free milkshake deal, and you can get a coupon instead of the second shake. So I take the coupon up there, and get a burger and some tots, then the guy tells me to keep the danged coupon. Keep using it till someone collects it. I do like their burgers. But other than that, although Zaxby's is laced with tons of salt, it tastes really good until later when you start drinking water heavily, and the Five Guys chain is excellent for quality cooked to order burgers and fresh cut fries. Varsity, as to the local favorite, but I have managed to avoid them, even though I get near there once every four weeks or so. And Mellow Mushroom cheese pizza is the only kind I eat out now, the other one that is as good or better is Everybody's but they only have two locations and both are rather difficult to find parking, and off my beaten path. At Everybody's I get lots of veggie toppings, like artichoke hearts, spinach, sliced tomatoes, very good and fresh stuff.

I really try to limit it to once or maybe twice a month, depends on how busy I might get, some nights just don't want to cook and want more than a sandwich, want something hot and something I didn't have to make.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:07 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
608 Posts
Quote:
There's a very good chippy in Conway, just around the corner from the smallest house in Wales. It's a sit-down place and you go up a narrow flight of stairs to the restaurant. That's not bad.

We visited the original Harry Ramsden's in Guisely, near Leeds, the other week. The pictures on the wall of the time in the thirties when they broke the world record for sales of fish and chips are pretty amazing. They also boasted of the largest ever single order of fish and chips - 470 servings - for a detachment of the Army who sent out for a take-away! Imagine being in the queue behind the Private who got sent out for that lot .
The same pictures are on the wall of the only Harry Ramsdens I ever visited, that in Brighton. I was not impressed with the taste.
But if I am visiting Manchester, I used to try and visit Kongs in Hyde for Steak puddin chips and gravy, when I was dispatching I would by 2 lots one to eat there and then, and one to eat the next day.
Down here my only craving for fast food is a Smartie Mcflurry on a hot day at work.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:15 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
The same pictures are on the wall of the only Harry Ramsdens I ever visited, that in Brighton. I was not impressed with the taste.
I bet. We have also visited one in Southampton. It was foul. Left most of it in the hideous cardboard container it was served in. Such are the vagaries of turning a fine establishment into a chain.

The original one in Guisely is not bad at all. We have better chippies locally, as small, family owned businesses.

Quote:
But if I am visiting Manchester, I used to try and visit Kongs in Hyde for Steak puddin chips and gravy, when I was dispatching I would by 2 lots one to eat there and then, and one to eat the next day.
Regional variation in chippies is a fascinating subject, especially in what is served up as an accompaniment to the main fare. Pudden, chips and gravy is a staple, but there are some folks who have curry sauce on their fish and chips.

Quote:
Down here my only craving for fast food is a Smartie Mcflurry on a hot day at work.
Never had one, but have had friends collect some containers for modelling purposes
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:26 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Taco Bell is my Achilles heal. $2 menu working for me while I'm budget minded. I can do without BK and Mc'ds. Not just that the food is bad for me but the quality and quantity is aweful. A rear visit to Checkers, Popeyes or KFC. I have swapped up to Steak'n Shake for burgers If I must have one.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Well we are speaking as a minority voice here, those fast food dine out's are a big multi million dollar success here in Oregon and I think most of the USA.
Just have to be wise about what you order and how often.
It's just about twelve blocks for me to walk to KFC or Carls and I've committed to walking there if I'm to splurge so a twenty four block walk helps burn off some of the fat.. wish it was so easy to eliminate the salt excess.

Trouble is that the wonderful smell of charbroiled burgers and Pressure cooked Chicken are often drifting my way some days.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:59 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I like the hard shell tacos from taco bell. They taste good and don't sit like a belly bomb after I eat them. I've all but given up with fast food burgers.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:11 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Not a fan of fast food but I do enjoy a Whataburger when I'm out west.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins