HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:25 AM
Mozambique
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
Help!
Super Cub problems

Hi

I'm having a problem with setting up my Stock Super Cub LP. I Recently decided to do some mods - Adding Ailerons and installing new electronics so I could use my DX6i.

Instead of doing mods to the stock cub I decided I was going to build one from scratch and keep my stock cub.

The only thing I did at the time was cut the EC3 connector and Banana plugs from the black box, which houses the ESC, receiver etc.. so I could use them on my modded Cub. The reason being is I had no other connections to use at the time and I did not want to change the connections on the stock Parkzone battery.

The problem is after I connected up the black box for the Stock Cub with new connectors - EC3 connector for the battery and the connections for the motor - As soon as I connect the battery to the stock cub the motor powers up at practically full speed. I have control of the servos and I can still throttle up a tiny bit, but the motor continues to run. This happens instantly after connecting the battery. Whether the stock TX is switched on before or after makes no difference.

I dont think I connected anything wrong, but something is obviously not correct. I'm just not sure what it is. Perhaps something was damaged in the black box.

Any suggestions?
TouroLouco is offline Find More Posts by TouroLouco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
Sounds like in-proper throttle trim setting.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mozambique
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Sounds like in-proper throttle trim setting.
And how do I correct this?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
Mozambique
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
Here are some pics of the connections
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2006
71 Posts
You might check your DX 6 settings and reverse the throttle channel.
haliotis is offline Find More Posts by haliotis
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:49 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
The throttle trim is the slider thingy to the right of the throttle stick. Move it all the way down.

If you mean the model went to full throttle, then reverse the throttle in the radios programming.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:44 PM
Mozambique
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haliotis View Post
You might check your DX 6 settings and reverse the throttle channel.
I'm not using the DX6i on my stock cub, Im using the stock TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
The throttle trim is the slider thingy to the right of the throttle stick. Move it all the way down.

If you mean the model went to full throttle, then reverse the throttle in the radios programming.
I have no slider on the stock TX for the super cub lp. There are only trims for the Elevator and rudder. As soon as I connect the battery the throttle starts at full speed when the throttle stick is down. When I move the throttle stick all the way up I notice a small increase in the speed. So I assume that when I connect the battery it is very close to full speed.

I basically have two planes:
1) The Super Cub only with stock parts- This is the one I am having problems with,

2) My Modded super cub that I built from scratch with ailerons. This one is
using the Dx6i RX and TX and a brushed ESC.

I started having problems with the 1st plane when I cut the EC3 connector and motor connectors from the black box in my stock cub. I did this to use these connectors in my 2nd plane as I never had any to use. I finally got some and connected up the black box with the new connectors. Since then I have been having this problem.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:58 AM
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
262 Posts
My guess is the receiver is toast. You now have bad parts on the esc part of the receiver which causes the motor to go to full speed on power up. Sorry but the only solution is to buy a new receiver.
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:07 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,342 Posts
Agree, sounds like an RX problem. There area lot of problems with the RX/ESC combo since they went lipo with it. It's not designed for the loads and the quality just isn't there. Some folks are lucky and their unit works well, some folks have it fry the first time out. A very short stalled prop on the stock unit will fry it almost instantly.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:21 AM
Mozambique
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwman View Post
My guess is the receiver is toast. You now have bad parts on the esc part of the receiver which causes the motor to go to full speed on power up. Sorry but the only solution is to buy a new receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Agree, sounds like an RX problem. There area lot of problems with the RX/ESC combo since they went lipo with it. It's not designed for the loads and the quality just isn't there. Some folks are lucky and their unit works well, some folks have it fry the first time out. A very short stalled prop on the stock unit will fry it almost instantly.
I suppose this might be the problem and I will most probably have to replace it. The only thing that bugs me is that I can still throttle up a little bit and I do have control of the servos.

It is very likely that something was damaged when soldering the cables and connectors back on.

Thanks