HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:10 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
Build Log
And for my next trick....Tucker P63

Well, after a break from Scale for a while so I can play with bright colors and stuff, I've settled on the next scale project...
The C. Tucker P63 Clipped-wing racer.
This thing was chopped from 38' span to 25.8'! The model will most likely be retract equipped, and full span P63 plan will be around 50" (chopped, I believe will be about 32" or so)
What can I say, I like a challenge!

Working on the drawings, prolly start building when the weather turns ugly in the fall, it's just too nice to sit in the basement and build for the next couple months...

If anyone has any more info on RACE 28, or on the '63 in general, please , by all means , post it

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:48 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
968 Posts
Nice! I can't wait to see the finished model.

From what I can recall (don't take this as gospel) Tucker had a pair of P-63s. NX62995 #28 'Tucker Special', later 'Flying Red Horse', painted white and N63231 #30 'Easter Egg', painted a very fetching pale purple. #30 was practically a sailplane with the wing only clipped to 28'6" for the cross-country Bendix race. The name Easter Egg was possibly only used as a joke, I haven't seen a photo with the name painted on the plane.

I think I have some drawings, will PM you when I dig them up...

Rich

edit: A couple of pix of #28 and a colour pic of #30 at http://www.airrace.com/1949%20NAR%20.htm
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:36 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
RACE 30 was a gross pale purple color ...I've seen a few color shots and you can lose your lunch if your not careful!
Tucker had two, you are correct. I like the White one
Had a pretty good discussion with Keith Shaw about wing sections, design, tip plates, etc. Should be a very interesting project. I know I can make one fly, but can it be controlled? lol
Keith was saying his Crosby racer had issues with air over the fin, and ended up with quite a bit of right thrust to reduce it's effect, so I am for sure keeping this in mind...that's why I find it good to talk with other modelers about neat projects.

Think about this.....11'4" prop on a 25'8" span airplane!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
310 Posts
I don't know if that airplane was successful as a racer, but if it wasn't, it was probably because there wasn't enough wing area to loft the B***S of the guy flying it...
Ojimy is offline Find More Posts by Ojimy
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:22 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
It got off the ground, but was a BEAR to turn. Certainly , a very large pair needed to fly that thing!

I think I can do it. Keiths little Crosby has very small wings for its fuse size, and it flies well,but it's a handfull...

Mark
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
968 Posts
P-63 #55 (I can't remember the registration- it was black with yellow lettering) had a pretty short wing, maybe not as short as #28, and it apparently handled quite well. Mind you, the team had half of Bell's aerodynamicists and test pilots working on it so it should have been OK!
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Last edited by Zephyr41; Jul 13, 2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Corrected race number
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:04 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good luck! Better approach the project with the view that it's got a lot of fuselage for the wing area, not it's not got much wing area for the fuselage size.

Should keep you quiet for a day or two this winter

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:07 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
I was looking at it as a very big fuselage for its wing size.
Keith suggests tip plates, even if not scale.Apparently, his research has shown the all the drag returns that was lost in the wing clip, but it WILL help provide a bit more lift.
No, I do not plan on flaps. That, sir, would be cheating
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:16 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
There were several, Tucker's #28 having the shortest wing at 25'8". Another had 28'.
Pics from Airrace.com....
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
At 1.25"=1'

41" long
48" full span
32.25" clipped span
13.75" scale prop

At 1.5"=1'

49.2" long
57.6" full span
38.6" clipped span
16.5" scale prop

Might go for the bigger one, could handle the grass better, yet still fit in the car in one piece so I do not have to take it apart all the time.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:33 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,147 Posts
"RACE 30 was a gross pale purple color..."

Back in 1955 there was a control-line flying field in Berea, OH, adjacent to Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Near the C-L field was a small dump. In that dump was the cockpit section of a P-63 or P-39 that had a pink-purple color, much faded. At the time, I didn't have (or know how to use) a camera.

Also near that dump was a shabby-looking hulk of a Grumman S2F Tracker Navy twin.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:49 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
At 1.5"=1', I get 583 sq in full span , and 426 clipped.

If I get to about 5 lbs RTF, that would get me 19.8 oz loading full span, 27.11 clipped.
If I get to about 6 lbs RTF, that would get me 23.76 oz loading full span, 32.53 clipped.

At 100 watt/s lb, 5 lbs would net 500 watts and 6 lbs would get me 600 watts.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Mark,
regarding the power plant, you may want to think about a gear box to spin that huge prop. in the long run, it may save weight (smaller motor, smaller lipo...).

without seeing the plan, but knowing your build style, i would think you could get this way lighter.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
"RACE 30 was a gross pale purple color..."

Back in 1955 there was a control-line flying field in Berea, OH, adjacent to Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Near the C-L field was a small dump. In that dump was the cockpit section of a P-63 or P-39 that had a pink-purple color, much faded. At the time, I didn't have (or know how to use) a camera.

Also near that dump was a shabby-looking hulk of a Grumman S2F Tracker Navy twin.

Jim R.
when i was a young boy, i remember seeing those rings. IIRC, there where 3 in a row. they are long gone now
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)