HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2001, 10:02 AM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Flying off snow

I'd like recommendations on a plane that I can take off & land from snow. Snow consistency will probably range from a few inches of settled powder to an icy sun-crust. I need something that can handle a bit of wind, as well. I'm thinking a flying boat might make sense, but I'd welcome any other ideas.

Thanks in advance
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2001, 10:17 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,706 Posts
Virtually any plane with a taildragger u/c can easily be fitted with skis for flying off snow. There's slightly more weight & drag than wheels so you want a little extra power in hand, but in general if it will take off from grass then snow won't be a problem.

Think you can get commercial skis, but mine have all been home made from ply, aluminium sheet, or plastic. Size/shape isn't critical but does depend a bit on the type of snow and weight of model. You need to rig the skis so they are slightly 'nose-up' with the plane in level flight, but can rotate to allow the tail of the plane to come down on the ground (normally done with a rubber band attached to the front of the ski).

Not quite a flying boat but I'm sure a stock Twin Star would take off from snow.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 01, 2001, 04:02 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Bill,
Try light weight floats for electric planes. Skis work but tend to dig into footprints etc in the snow, while floats tend to just slide across the holes.

I also have flown my Herr Aquastar off snow. While I haven't flown it off water yet, I like it off snow more than hand launching. The "hull" scoots right over the snow, holes & ruts & all. "Flying boats" seem to work very well off snow.

Hope this helps.
Dave
(getting ready for the long upstate NY winter)
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Oct 01, 2001, 04:10 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,496 Posts
Ditto on the Aqua Star.

I also ROSnow with my Electro Screamer S400 powered EDF.

Don't try this with a Kyosho T33.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Oct 01, 2001, 07:59 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Snow Flying

Frank: Do we know snow, eh? Sig Cub, LT's, Senioritas are all great off snow with commercially available aluminum or ply skis. Great fun with E-power. When the slimer guys are still futsing with their fuellers, etc, we've got a couple of good flights in. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Oct 02, 2001, 07:00 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Dudeck
Don't try this with a Kyosho T33.

.... or even worse, an F16
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 02, 2001, 01:22 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
I'm not suggesting the model, but the best fun I had with the Twin Star was take offs, touch and goes, and landings, all on snow, and that's absolutely stock with 7 RC2000s - so easy.

Regards. John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Oct 02, 2001, 01:28 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,496 Posts
John E,

I have been eyeing my TS for snow use. With that nice, flat bottom I thought it might make a good ROSnow plane.

You have confirmed my thoughts exactly.
Old Oct 02, 2001, 04:10 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
I have been flying an Electric LT-25 off snow and having a ball! A lot of our club members Here in Kelowna fly all Winter with skis. The tail draggers seem to fly better than a trike gear model but both work.
Du-Bro makes a nice set of skis.
The only problem with snow flying is that the landings are LONG. They don't want to stop sliding. Also ground haaaandling is not as precise as on grass.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Oct 03, 2001, 05:17 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Zagi On Snow

Anybody here fly their Zagi off of snow. I really want to be able to fly my Zagi durring the winter. I don't know if my Merlin will quite cut it (I'll just add some meat tray skis to this). What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

-THANKS
-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Oct 05, 2001, 07:52 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,496 Posts
I think a ZAGI will be just fine on snow. It should be no different than landing on grass or a parking lot surface.

In those cases it seem the prop gets pushed up, out of the way, avoiding any damage. My ZAGI has 92 landings and I'm still flying the same prop it came with.

Snow should be a piece of cake. Biggest danger will be burying it in about 2 feet of soft powder. Better put a locator beeper on it.

Ice, on the other hand, might lead to some really interesting landings. You might be the first to do a touch and go with a ZAGI

Old Oct 05, 2001, 08:28 PM
Westchester County, New York, United States
Joined Dec 1999
573 Posts
I fly Zagi's in the winter all the time. Just be sure...VERY SURE...to tie a streamer to the battery. I lost 2 batteries in the snow last year after mid-air impacts tossed the battery.

When the snow is a powder, it's fun to fly as low as you can and see if you can nick the prop on the surface of the snow. It almost always ends up with a crash, but the snow keeps the damage to a minimum.

Steve
Steven DiStasio is offline Find More Posts by Steven DiStasio
Old Oct 05, 2001, 10:18 PM
Senior Member ??
Southern California, USA
Joined Sep 2001
388 Posts
I gota find some snow for touch n snow Zagi. That sounds great.
ETKing is offline Find More Posts by ETKing
Old Oct 05, 2001, 10:49 PM
Worcester, Ma, USA
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
I don't know what people's experiences have been with flying off of unpacked powder, but I've tried it, and it simply doesn't work. I tried skis and floats, and in both cases the tips get stuck in in the snow. Flying off of packed snow must be a lot of fun though. Will have to try it some time.
maciek is offline Find More Posts by maciek
Old Oct 05, 2001, 10:52 PM
Worcester, Ma, USA
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
I don't know what people's experiences have been with flying off of unpacked powder, but I've tried it, and it simply doesn't work. I tried skis and floats, and in both cases the tips get stuck in the snow. Flying off of packed snow must be a lot of fun though. I'll have to try it some time.
maciek is offline Find More Posts by maciek