SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:52 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,348 Posts
Use a round file or Dremmel. File is safer and hard to over do. The edge where the wire turns at each end of the stack is sharper on one end than the other. This is because of the burr created when the lams are stamped. A poorly maintained die can leave a large burr.

When the lams are stamped, care is taken to store them together in the same direction in which they were stamped. This is done so the lam burrs are not facing each other. They stack better when "nested" to each other.

Good fluidizing usually covers the burr. Other methods use an insulating lam at each end to prevent the wire from touching the lam edges. I've also seen plastic insulator covers used over the end of the stacks. For economic reasons, lam edges are not usually broken or de burred and are used as is.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
These little stones for sharpening chain saws work nice, the ones I use a 5/32" dia. and I can get them at Lowes and Home Depot. One will last forever.

I run those against a #415 Dremel dressing stone to put a rounded taper on the end so the last 1/4" or so comes down to a point. That lets me get into all the corners and chase all the sharp edges. You want to run it at a medium speed or so, not real fast, and it will leave a bright edge where it has put a little bevel on all the sharp edges.

I've been using Dremel tools more than 50 years, I have accumulated a lot of bits and pieces of tools and cutter for mine. I like the old classic hand held models, some of their new stuff is suspect...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:04 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Jun 2005
47 Posts
Loctite 410.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
If you deburr the sharp edges and paint it with two coats of the Loctite 410 rubberized CA adhesive it will do a pretty good job. I had good luck with that. I think the deburring is a key part of the process though, get all those sharp edged rounded off.

Jack
Rewind GBx mini stator with 24 awg wire, Loctite 410 works great.
datalex is offline Find More Posts by datalex