HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2010, 02:48 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
Careful!
Problems with giant cod.co.uk

Hi, just wanted to let all my fellow flying buddys no!!!
Be aware that if you buy a motor from giantcod.co.uk they will not take a return when it does not work!!!
situation is, brought 2 outrunner's off them 1 ages ago (put in stock) 1 couple of week ago.
finally finished my new maxi swift so the 1 i brought a couple of weeks ago was ready to be bolted on
So soldered connectors on / 5-4 prop plugged in and its dead just a load of brushless juddering so i email cod's only to get back this massive list of return rules and section 5 states IF YOU SOLDER ANYTHING YOU CANNOT RETURN!!! i soldered so obviously i can plug it in to my speed controller..
So i email them back and silence!! not a peep/nothing/not a word

But it gets worse....... wanted to maiden my maxi so got the other outrunner out of my spares, solder/5-4prop again plug in and...

wait for it...

i think you can see whats coming..........

Yep, correct! its dead.....

So to summerize- 2 dead motors! and giant cod will not let you return stuff you buy off them that is faulty.........

Be carefull people!! dont waste your money.

Hope that saves some people the arse ache of buying sh*t..

If you made it down this far Cheers for reading, Jawa (darren)
jawa31 is offline Find More Posts by jawa31
Last edited by jawa31; Jul 09, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:13 AM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,451 Posts
That's odd, I've bought loads of stuff off them with no problems at all. I've never had to return anything though, but I do know they've just moved premises and taken on a load of new staff so that might have something to do with it. Maybe try e-mailing Rob (the owner) directly and see what he says. They do seem to make a point of good customer service so I'm sure he'll see you right.

You would think that the soldering rule wouldn't apply to bare wires that have to be soldered though.

Also, have you tried different ESCs? Your problems sound more like a faulty one of those rather than motors to me. Also, some of my motors won't work with some of my ESCs, and some needed me to program the ESC for the correct timing to make them work properly.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:19 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,198 Posts
1. "Juddering" is not dead. It's almost always a symptom of a poor connection on one of the three motor leads. Possibly caused by bad soldering .

2. The motors I've bought from GC have already had connectors on the motor leads. If you're saying that yours only had bare wires then you will still be able to return it even though you've added connectors. They're not that unreasonable .

Talk to them, the telephone is a great invention. Trying to get problems resolved by slagging someone off on public forums in an attempt to damage their business after a single unanswered email makes you look a lot worse than the supplier.

BTW I've never had any trouble with GC...but when their prices are so low I don't really expect them to give stuff away to everyone who can't correctly use what they've bought .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:30 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
weasel, yes mate have tried different esc and a few different motors!
speed controller definatly fine..

And slipstick, Slagging off!! only told the truth! as it as happened!.
my soldering is fine :-)
Not a lot to ask for i thought, having the ability to send something back that i paid money for! your telling me that if you brought stuff and when it did not work you was told you could not send back you would just say ok????
Like i say its how it happened and thought it would atually be nice if fellow flyers new cods rules on their motors.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:56 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,444 Posts
I've found that on the one occasion that I've had to return stuff to Giantcod - wrong battery pack sent - they dealt with it quickly and professionally.

One thing that the OP points out is that the motors were purchased ages ago and only recently tried. Your statutory rights on distance selling have a time limit and few, if any, distributors will look favourably on returns made many months after the purchase, for obvious reasons.

If you post on the Giantcod's own forum then that opens up a further channel for communication. Be aware though that if you were to adopt the attitude contained in the OP and continued it there then you might not get a very good response.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 09, 2010, 04:08 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
Firstly. motor no1 that was put on was purchased when i brought the maxi which was only a couple of weeks ago..
Secondly. "adopt the attitude" All i have done is explained on here the exact scenario as to how all this has panned out!!.
If you dont want to no then do not read..
Old Jul 09, 2010, 04:35 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa31 View Post
Firstly. motor no1 that was put on was purchased when i brought the maxi which was only a couple of weeks ago..
When did you buy the motors?

When did you fit and test each of the motors?

It looks like you left one for a couple of weeks and one for much longer.

Both would probably be outside of the timeframe for your statutory rights.

Quote:
Secondly. "adopt the attitude" All i have done is explained on here the exact scenario as to how all this has panned out!!.
If you dont want to no then do not read..
No you haven't. You have encouraged others to not buy from Giantcod. It's a transparent attempt to damage their business, no doubt fuelled by your frustration.

The very title of the thread reveals exactly what the thread is about and it is far from an accurate summary of the events, even as you yourself have described them.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 09, 2010, 05:17 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,776 Posts
Giant Cod is my favored supplier, and long will continue to be.

Like Leccy, I once received the wrong battery, (one out of many many orders), no problem, sent it back and received the correct one with apologies.

But then it's never the purchaser who makes a mistake.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:11 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
Name: IMG_0232.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 66.6 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0231.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 70.9 KB
Description: ]
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:14 AM
RC did this to me
USA, CT, Jewett City
Joined Sep 2008
563 Posts
"bad soldering">>>been there and sooo true...

I would make sure its not your fault before you start publicly bashing hard to get started and going business that probably puts more work and efforts into their jobs than you do. Its inexperience trained by inpatients that leads to ignorance…..see what I mean…didn’t like that did you.

Learn first….think twice…bash yourself and not hard working people.
rcflyerEric is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerEric
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:20 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
the title will cause people to look because we are all inquisitive then when they read my post every1 can make there own opinion of what i have wrote!! Simple.
My post details exactly the circumstances as to how it has all panned out, nothing more nothing less..
And yes it is quite frustrating as paying for stuff that does not work then being told you cant return is qute annoying...
If just 1 r/c enthusiast reads this and does not end up in the same sitution as me then it is all worth it.. put simply dont solder befoe you have tested.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:24 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
P.s think i should change the battery's in my keyboard :-)
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:27 AM
RC did this to me
USA, CT, Jewett City
Joined Sep 2008
563 Posts
Un-subscribed....

don't forget to change the battery in your nugget too.
rcflyerEric is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerEric
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:32 AM
south east england
Joined Feb 2009
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerEric View Post
"bad soldering">>>been there and sooo true...

I would make sure its not your fault before you start publicly bashing hard to get started and going business that probably puts more work and efforts into their jobs than you do. Its inexperience trained by inpatients that leads to ignorance…..see what I mean…didn’t like that did you.

Learn first….think twice…bash yourself and not hard working people.
If you must no, i dont work i cant work i am disabled this time last year i was starting to learn how to walk again transverve mylitis is the correct term for my illness.. so what little money i have nowadays is very precious to me.. So losing money on non-working parts is not really a option..
And as for your soldering quip, before i lost the use of my bloody legs i used to be a service enginneer so A, i used to do more hours most weeks than you did for sure and B, i no dought done more soldering than you pobably have as that was part of my job when re-wiring machines.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:48 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,776 Posts
How about specifying what motor, and ESC, (and battery), you are using, that way if anyone else has had a problem with that equipment, there may be information that will help.

Sorry to hear of your health problem, but if by chance you received poor advice from say a doctor, you wouldn't necessarily trash the rest of the NHS as being incompetent.
Likewise here, a lot of people have had very good service for GC, yes, there will sometimes be problems, but I think your thread title is totally out of order, (considering the mood you may have been in at the time), you can edit it if you want to by clicking on Edit in your first post.

Do you know of any local electric fliers who may have different equipment to do substitution tests/checks on your motors ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray