HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ton2di View Post
... I will try to upload a video of my flight and landing in our field.

ton2di
I purchased one of these yesterday with a YS 91.

Did you ever do a video? Would be good to see it.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
WarClouds Online Dogfights
Joined Jan 2008
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ton2di View Post
Well guys, I have jumped into the big size engine in order to turn this 4 blade 15.5x12 apc prop. It flies very well and has lots of speed. It's an OS200FS.
Holy smokes! That thing must really haul the mail! What RPM does it spin?

That's twice the engine that the airframe is rated for. Far be it for me to stand in the way of innovation,
but you might want to keep a vigilant eye out for stress fractures near the firewall. I would!

Incidentally, you can still spin the same prop with an RCV-120 hidden inside the cowl.
But it probably won't make 200 MPH anymore, LOL!
IL2windhawk is offline Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Sep 2009
124 Posts
I had an OS120FSIII in there swinging an apc 14x10 at around 8900 rpms. THe OS200fs, believe it or not, weighs almost the same as the OS120FSIII. I have installed the turbo muffler which made it lighter than the stock muffler. It's now turning around 7,200 on the ground. I believe it gains more rpm in the air so it looks fast, but not that much compared to the OS120 with the 14x10. The 4 blade just has lots torque and almost unlimited vertical. I have considered the rcv-120, but I believe it only turns around 5k rpms. Fuel consumption is around 9-11 mins with the original 14oz tank. I only use 10% omega in this one though.
ton2di is offline Find More Posts by ton2di
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:14 AM
Joined May 2009
460 Posts
Very nice ton2di,

But even with that OS120FSIII it suppose to be nose heavy, how did you solved that problem and what is your AUW?

Ozgur
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:07 AM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Sep 2009
124 Posts
Hello Ozgur,

The dry weight is around 10lbs and 8oz. I placed the receiver battery all the way at the end next to the tail wheel. I also had a perry pump installed (same as with the os120) so I was able to relocate the fuel tank at middle of the c.g. I fly it with the c.g. at around 5", a little nose heavy still. I will try to post some videos of it flying whenever I get the chance.

tony
Old May 08, 2011, 08:11 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Sep 2009
124 Posts
Video of my TF P-51 with OS200FS and 4 blade prop.

top flite p-51 rc 60 size (1 min 22 sec)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:55 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
305 Posts
Mine's finishing it's first full season, and I'm very pleased with it.

The retracts were junk, I replaced them with Robart HD mechanicals (85 degree).
Also opened up the wing and beefed up the entire retract mounting area with epoxy/milled fiberglass.

Flew for most of the season on a OS 75AX. Just wasn't enough. Replaced it with a 95AX. Much more fun. (14x8 @ 9500RPM)

I have a LOT of flap travel- almost twice what they recommend, and it lands really easily. CG is on the aft limit, and I have 1.8 oz of countertorque weight in the right wing tip.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:35 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
I am putting mine together right now and the mechanical retracts are worrying me. I'm using a Hitec "retract" servo and the gear is not deploying correctly. At first it looked like the wheels were getting hung on the wheel well, so I tried to bend the gear a little and applied some 3-in1 oil to the tire would not grab. Some times the gear would get out of the wheel well and then stop 1/3 of the way. So I messed with it some more and now I'm hearing a little rattle in the servo when the gear is extended. All I have to do is push the wheel a little more (in the open direction) and the sound goes away.

I'm a little worried that my first flight will end up a belly landing. Has anyone else had a problem with the retracts?
xraymiller is offline Find More Posts by xraymiller
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:43 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
569 Posts
Likely the gears on your servo are missing a few teeth. Gear sets cost about $4. Check your spacing on the servo arm. The distance between the ez-connectors should be the same as the travel of the arm on the retract itself. I inch of travel means the connectors should be 1 inch apart, for example. Use the round piece that comes with servos and drill holes at the appropriate spacing, if necessary. I have had zero issues with my gear.
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:34 AM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
195 Posts
Well, I don't know much about the plane, but I do know the spinner is a perfect match for the TF GE P-51 I am building. It is hard trying to find a 4" spinner for this plane, at least one that doesn't cost as much as the kit!

I wonder how close in performance the kit will be to the ARF.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_01 View Post
I don't have the Mustang..yet but I do have the P-47 and what a pleasure it is to fly!
I'm going with the P-47 ARF also but it's good to hear about the great quality of these Top Flight Arfs.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
I'm on the engine installation and I have a few questions for those of you already flying the P-51. The first is on the fueling valve. I have seen suggestions to plug the line that is supposed to go to the carburetor. What have you done?

Also, looking at the plans whe they installed the switch/charging plug, my battery will not reach (even though I have the same battery as pictured). Did you move the jack or just put an extensn on the wire?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
103 Posts
xray - I have used the Dubro or hobbico fueling valves on several planes, including my P51. The work well to cut off the fuel to the carb when filling the tank. This prevents flooding of the enginer. The Dubro one is available from Tower or most LHS (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD745&P=ML). I can offer one tip with the fuel valves. mount them to the wood structure if you can. The cowl is thin enough and can buckle when fueling. Mine has survived many fuelings but I fear it will eventually break the cowl.

I didn't need an extention for my switch but using one shouldn't be an issue. Moving the switch should also not be an issue if you have a good place to locate it.
carlcorn is offline Find More Posts by carlcorn
Last edited by carlcorn; Dec 19, 2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added tip for valve placement.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
I decided turn the fueling valve into fill only by capping the carb return hose.

I just ran into another problem, this pertaining the spinner. The bolt that keeps the spinner on is about 2-5/8". It appears to long and is overlapping the engine drive shaft bolt by 3/8". I am using the O.S. FS-120 III Surpass and a Master Airscrew 15x8 Series G/F Nylon Propeller. Since the engine is listed in the recommended engines for this airplane I am surprised that it is not fitting.

If I need to buy a shorter one, do you know what size this is, 8-32?
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:34 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
I ran into the exact same problem trying to change the spinner on a Super Decathlon I bought from a club member. I decided to throw caution into the wind and simply cut the bolt with my Dremel to the appropriate size. I was afraid it would not thread correctly, but after it worked with the SD I did the same thing with the P-51. They both fit fine now.